To walk or not to walk

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
After seeing the replay of the 99 game where Langer smashed but is given not out, the walk debate has again been raised.

I dont consider not walking to be cheating as the umpire is there to make a decision, and if you get a bad one you cant not walk.

Anyway your thoughts?

I'd say it's an individual thing.

I think I'd feel pretty hollow getting away with a howler if i were on 99 and went on to make the century, whereas it probably wouldn't be as hollow a feeling if it happened earlier in the innings.

I never used to walk.

That's what the umpires are there for.

What about all the times you get triggered or are given a howler?

Take the good with the bad, IMO they all even themselves out in the end.

m1c said:
What about all the times you get triggered or are given a howler?

Take the good with the bad, IMO they all even themselves out in the end.

+1

Up to the individual but I don't believe any player should feel obliged to walk if the Umpire doesn't move a muscle, nor do I believe the moral crusaders in the commentary and playing ranks should look down on people who don't walk like they're some kind of bad person. In my opinion some people take the 'gentleman's game' thing a bit too seriously.

Let the officials do their job and take the good with the bad like any other sport.

Plus bear in mind walking can be used to gain an advantage. Get a reputation for walking and being honest, then the one time you do stand there the umpire will think "well, he didn't hit it then did he?".

I always used to walk. There's not really an option when your stumps are smashed all over the ground...

BroncoMatt said:
I always used to walk. There's not really an option when your stumps are smashed all over the ground...

LOLZ! [eusa_clap.gi

If it's social I would walk (not that I have really played any form of cricket bar beach and backyard), but when it's serious (e.g. Club and up) then I'd let the umpire have the decision for me - but I don't know the ethics and culture of cricket either...

Unread

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Aldo
  • john1420
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.