OFFICIAL Tom Dearden lost to Cowboys

ScreenScreenshot 2021 04 22 at 17 12 35 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

The Cowboys have offered Tommy Dearden a paltry three-year deal worth a mere $1 million sealed with a dubious promise to be mentored by some guy named Jonathon Thurston. According to Dobbo, that works out to be cool $1 million dollars a year, maybe more if you count it in potatoes, but you might want to double check his maths.

Thurston's single premiership pales beside Dearden's current brains trust of Langer & Walters who've each won more premierships than Dobbo can count.

Greedy Cowboys football-operations baron Michael Luck said:

“Now that we’ve got Chad, we haven’t ruled out Tom at all. We would still love to have him here and we believe they could work well together as a halves pairing. He is still coming through and learning the ropes and we think Tom can do a wonderful apprenticeship riding shotgun with Chad and then potentially take over from him and be a long-term playmaker at our club."

“It would be great news if Tom accepts our offer. Tom has shown some things we like, so we would love for him to be here. Tom grew up in Mackay, he was part of our junior academy five or six years ago and then he went to Palm Beach Currumbin (on the Gold Coast) to finish school."

Screen8981

Cowboys looking for a young playmaker

“He has done a great job coming through the ranks during a trying period for the Broncos as a club. I know it’s a big decision from Tom so we will give him time and space. We know he is a wonderfully loyal kid, he has come through the system at the Broncos and if he leaves it’s a big decision for him, so we’re not putting any deadlines on him.”

1500x500

Let's hear it for Townsville!

Meanwhile local legend Kevin Walters is having none of it:

“Tom is part of our system so at this stage we are not looking outside the circle. We don’t anticipate losing Tom. He has been a good player for us in our systems and he’s still learning the game but we see little bits of improvement in Tom each week and we expect that again tomorrow night from him… no problems there with Tommy."

"We have been through everything with Tommy, he has a nice clear picture in his head about his job in the side and we are confident he can do that job for us (on Friday night) and moving forward as well.”

“If you wear a seven jumper these days you are linked to the Broncos, so that part of it… we are a big club, we are a strong club. It’s great to know other players want to come and play at the Broncos, that’s what it is all about. For us, we have our structures around what we will be doing and won’t be going outside those structures.”

“Adam Reynolds is a good player and there is some interest in him, but we need to tie up Kotoni Staggs first and if and when we do that, we will look at our other scrumbase options."

Mitchell Moses, another rumoured player of interest said:

“I‘d love to stay at the Eels, that’s my main thing, I’ve made that clear to them but that’s up them now if they want to keep me or if my management will sort it all out. When a contract is ready to go my management will let me know.”

“The ultimate goal is to get a premiership. But everyone is different Everyone is in a different situation and different ages, all those types of things. The premiership pact gets tossed around every now and then but nothing in depth. The way footy is at the moment everyone looks after themselves and that‘s how it is.”

McHunt

Bet he leaves, cause it seems clear that Kebin thinks Croft is a better half.

At this stage, I’d agree with him.
In the last game he certainly was. The way I see it is that Dearden is more adaptable to 6 than Croft is. Croft seems to respond better to structure, at least while we’re still working things out.

In the last game he certainly was. The way I see it is that Dearden is more adaptable to 6 than Croft is. Croft seems to respond better to structure, at least while we’re still working things out.
I think Dearden is a 6 anyway. His biggest attribute is his running, and has no idea what to do when it comes to game management. Our issue is we keep trying to manufacture 7's out of players who clearly aren't, instead of just recruiting one. We fucked up years ago when we didn't sign Pearce.

Is it just me, or is $333k a year not actually that much to drop on a potential long-term halfback? Yes, he has achieved nothing yet, but the Cowboys offer is being talked up as a big coin deal (one million dollars *pinky to lips*). We're paying some players that money to play elsewhere, let alone develop in Q-Cup to prepare them for the future. Remembering he's a halfback, they are somewhat important, and we kind of need one.

I don't agree. He rightly sees Croft as having more experience and so he puts him in the firing line while Tommy has the more comfortable and less stressful spot so he can continue to learn on the job.

I love the Kevvie has given ownership to Croft. If he goes as well as he did last week and even improves over the next month, we may not even need to buy a halfback.

Im indifferent to Dearden now.
In the immortal words of Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies".

I see the benefit in keeping him on a low money contract until he does *anything* to show he is worth more, but Milford burned me for eternity on signing big money deals on potential.

So if he asks for a cent more than 300k i would cut him loose and wish him the best and let him know there is a spot here at the Broncos should he ever turn into a decent player.

Broncos have invested a lot of time into him already. He's not going to be a dominant half at 20. I'd be shocked if the Broncos let him go for less than what they are paying Piakura.

As Elsa once said....Let him go, let him go
Sam Walker is younger than Dearden and is light years ahead of him. Our biggest regret will be not going all out to keep Sam Walker, focusing on retaining Dearden is costing us dearly.

As Elsa once said....Let him go, let him go
Sam Walker is younger than Dearden and is light years ahead of him. Our biggest regret will be not going all out to keep Sam Walker, focusing on retaining Dearden is costing us dearly.

a) you can't keep what you never had
b) if Kevvie had 7+ years to set up his systems and get his roster sorted (like Robinson), Dearden would probably look a lot better too.

b) if Kevvie had 7+ years to set up his systems and get his roster sorted (like Robinson), Dearden would probably look a lot better too.

Oh right, I forgot how it took Robinson 7+ years to get to this point and the Roosters weren't actually competitive from 2013 - 2020.

Oh right, I forgot how it took Robinson 7+ years to get to this point and the Roosters weren't actually competitive from 2013 - 2020.

in 2016 they finished in 15th place.

and he didn't start with a pretty green, rookie squad. he had Minicheillo, JWH, SBW, Maloney, Pearce, O'Donnell etc

in 2016 they finished in 15th place.

and he didn't start with a pretty green, rookie squad. he had Minicheillo, JWH, SBW, Maloney, Pearce, O'Donnell etc
Just one really bad year, they have been super competitive in the rest. Either it didn't take him long to set up good systems or the systems were already set up and never went away, which makes me wonder how the Broncos fell apart so much after Bennett left, because he supposedly set them up for the future too.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.