OFFICIAL Tom Dearden lost to Cowboys

ScreenScreenshot 2021 04 22 at 17 12 35 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

The Cowboys have offered Tommy Dearden a paltry three-year deal worth a mere $1 million sealed with a dubious promise to be mentored by some guy named Jonathon Thurston. According to Dobbo, that works out to be cool $1 million dollars a year, maybe more if you count it in potatoes, but you might want to double check his maths.

Thurston's single premiership pales beside Dearden's current brains trust of Langer & Walters who've each won more premierships than Dobbo can count.

Greedy Cowboys football-operations baron Michael Luck said:

“Now that we’ve got Chad, we haven’t ruled out Tom at all. We would still love to have him here and we believe they could work well together as a halves pairing. He is still coming through and learning the ropes and we think Tom can do a wonderful apprenticeship riding shotgun with Chad and then potentially take over from him and be a long-term playmaker at our club."

“It would be great news if Tom accepts our offer. Tom has shown some things we like, so we would love for him to be here. Tom grew up in Mackay, he was part of our junior academy five or six years ago and then he went to Palm Beach Currumbin (on the Gold Coast) to finish school."

Screen8981

Cowboys looking for a young playmaker

“He has done a great job coming through the ranks during a trying period for the Broncos as a club. I know it’s a big decision from Tom so we will give him time and space. We know he is a wonderfully loyal kid, he has come through the system at the Broncos and if he leaves it’s a big decision for him, so we’re not putting any deadlines on him.”

1500x500

Let's hear it for Townsville!

Meanwhile local legend Kevin Walters is having none of it:

“Tom is part of our system so at this stage we are not looking outside the circle. We don’t anticipate losing Tom. He has been a good player for us in our systems and he’s still learning the game but we see little bits of improvement in Tom each week and we expect that again tomorrow night from him… no problems there with Tommy."

"We have been through everything with Tommy, he has a nice clear picture in his head about his job in the side and we are confident he can do that job for us (on Friday night) and moving forward as well.”

“If you wear a seven jumper these days you are linked to the Broncos, so that part of it… we are a big club, we are a strong club. It’s great to know other players want to come and play at the Broncos, that’s what it is all about. For us, we have our structures around what we will be doing and won’t be going outside those structures.”

“Adam Reynolds is a good player and there is some interest in him, but we need to tie up Kotoni Staggs first and if and when we do that, we will look at our other scrumbase options."

Mitchell Moses, another rumoured player of interest said:

“I‘d love to stay at the Eels, that’s my main thing, I’ve made that clear to them but that’s up them now if they want to keep me or if my management will sort it all out. When a contract is ready to go my management will let me know.”

“The ultimate goal is to get a premiership. But everyone is different Everyone is in a different situation and different ages, all those types of things. The premiership pact gets tossed around every now and then but nothing in depth. The way footy is at the moment everyone looks after themselves and that‘s how it is.”

McHunt

A lot of you seem to be celebrating Dearden’s departure after he was thrown into the deep end with no apparent plan and useless teammates. I haven’t seen enough of him to make an informed judgement.

Young talent need to be nurtured into first grade and surrounded by good players and mentors on and the off the field (like Sam Walker is at the Roosters). But our players and leaders can’t even clean up their own shit!

The exodus of young Broncos talent (seemingly doing well in other clubs’ systems eg Walker and Walsh) is extremely damaging for our future. In fact, we’re already feeling the pinch now and scrambling to pay overs for external replacements. Beggars belief how we got the recruitment/retention strategy and balance so wrong.

We are offering overs for these young blokes as well. We cant win either way.

**** me if we sign Mbye we are cooked
To be honest I quite like Mbye but not at 600k etc. On 300-400 I think he's got a bit to offer. I don't know him but just on what I've seen of him and having read his back story recently I think there's something there.

Dearden has made the best decision for his development, he'll have far better structures at the Cows and has leadership and experience around him which he desperately needs.

Beggars belief how we got the recruitment/retention strategy and balance so wrong.

Huge blame goes to the cozy relationship between Peter Nolan and player agent Isaac Moses. All these player options are killing us. Hopefully Moses gets barred from being an NRL player agent in his upcoming trial.

we were already on the decline with wayne, no?
No, we were introducing young players slowly as the blokes they were replacing were declining. Someone at the club had a plan at that point.

Huge blame goes to the cozy relationship between Peter Nolan and player agent Isaac Moses. All these player options are killing us. Hopefully Moses gets barred from being an NRL player agent in his upcoming trial.

I get that DD can't really do anything about Morris but hopefully he walks in and boots Nolan straight away.

To be honest I quite like Mbye but not at 600k etc. On 300-400 I think he's got a bit to offer. I don't know him but just on what I've seen of him and having read his back story recently I think there's something there.
Fair enough I appreciate the considered thought. I agree anything remotely on what he is on now is a backwards step for this club.

“So Peter we seem to have a team full of kids without any experience or leaders and our best talent signs elsewhere. What would you say...you do here?”

Let me show you via this yellow envelope.

Doesn't mean what Greg said wasn't true. Milford has been an absolute disaster, and he has literally stolen the paypacket. He hasn't delivered, hasn't gone and worked on himself to make changes necessary to perform to the standard thats expected of him and his position being such a highly paid player. He is to date, since 2015 an absolute failure.
He has been poor but that claim of theft is disgusting. He got paid what the club thought he was worth, that's on the club. I am off Milf but I can also see the club let him down big time with the spuds they have had along side him in the spine going on three years. The club never replaced Hunt despite real 7s being available and never provided a solid modern fullback once Boyd decided to check out mentally. He was our only attacking option for yonks and teams have just zeroed in on him defensively and I think that coupled with the burden of all expectations being on him has crippled his confidence. He has a lot of blame to take himself in all th being unfit and whatnot but calling him a thief was a disgraceful thing to say from Brandy.

The only way you'd look at Mbye would be as a hooker and only if the price was right.
About 350 000 tops.

A lot of sky falling in talk.

Parramatta fans know all about hardship. We were laughing at the Titans just a few years back. What about the Knights...Nothing lasts forever.

Storm will have sorrow at some point.

Would loved to have kept both Walsh and Dearden, but to earn it; patience. Clubs are picking our bones, and our salary cap situation is well documented. Wonder if Katoni should be sacrificed for the sake of our spine. Our spine is our first, second, third and only priority. Our salary cap is going to improve in near term. We have to take our medicine.

Andrew Johns keeps saying, " the half back tree is pretty bare". We need to be patient, and build a strong foundation. I don't know if this is rock bottom, but knee jerk signings, and paying kids big money isn't the way to rebuild; we've done that. Some hindsight great players are going to escape us.

I remember Parramatta did pretty well one year but lost in grand final with a super star team, rather than a team of super stars. Would like to keep Milford for $400k. He is ripe for the taking. Shoe on other foot!!

Which is harder to find in todays climate, a game managing hooker or a half back? We need one or the other, and a gun fullback. The rest is better than ok. I know Kev will be up 24/7 over super league and possible union signings. Kev is well liked within Qld and i like to think people in the rugby league know, are behind him. He loves this club and i bet he is calling in favours and turning over stones.

We just have to trust in the process. Our troubles are well documented. It didn't happen over night, and it won't change overnight. The foundations are rotten, surgery is needed. It isn't the keyhole kind. Buckle up and get your rosary beads out. It's going to be a long night.

I was in a long term relationship with a girl from Newcastle. Called her parents up most weekends to rub it in. Especially Origin...Glad we broke up because i don't think i could be a gracious as her father was...

A lot of sky falling in talk.

Parramatta fans know all about hardship. We were laughing at the Titans just a few years back. What about the Knights...Nothing lasts forever. Storm will have sorrow at some point.

Would have loved to have kept both Walsh and Dearden, but for them to have earned it; patience. Clubs are picking our bones, and our salary cap situation is well documented. Wonder if Katoni should be sacrificed for the sake of our spine. Our spine is our first, second, third and only priority. Our salary cap is going to improve in near term. We have to take our medicine.

Andrew Johns keeps saying, " the half back tree is pretty bare". We need to be patient, and build a strong foundation. I don't know if this is rock bottom, but knee jerk signings, and paying kids big money isn't the way to rebuild; we've done that. Some hindsight great players are going to escape us.

I remember Parramatta did pretty well one year but lost in grand final with a super star team rather than a team of super stars. Would like to keep Milford for $400k. He is ripe for the taking. Shoe on other foot!!

Which is harder to find in todays climate, a game managing hooker or a half back? We need one or the other, and a gun fullback. The rest is better than ok. I know Kev will be up 24/7 over super league and possible union signings. Kev is well liked within Qld and i like to think people in the rugby league know, are behind him. He loves this club and i bet he is calling in favours and turning over stones.

We just have to trust in the process. Our troubles are well documented. It didn't happen over night, and it won't change overnight. The foundations are rotten, surgery is needed. It isn't the keyhole kind. Buckle up and get your rosary beads out. It's going to be a long night.

I was in a long term relationship with a girl from Newcastle. Called her parents up most weekends to rub it in. Especially Origin...Glad we broke up a while back because i don't think i could be a gracious as her father was...

This is really well written but won't mean anything until the off field is cleaned up first.

DCE to the Broncos!?!?! Couldn't be any worse then where we are now.

Also on a side note, this idiot...
“I said on social media over the weekend, and there’s no way I’d retract it, that Anthony Seibold’s Broncos were better than Kevin Walters’ Broncos,” Rothfield said.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.