• Thread starter Major JW Hochstetter
  • Start date
M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens has been given the Kangaroos coaching job

February 24, 2009

More than two decades after making his coaching debut Wests Tigers mentor Tim Sheens has been announced as the coach of the Kangaroos.

Sheens, the most experienced coach in NRL history with 568 games under his belt, takes over the national job from Ricky Stuart who stood down following his outburst at a referee after last year's World Cup final loss to New Zealand.

The 58-year-old Wests Tigers coach beat Manly coach Des Hasler and former Australia captain Mal Meninga for the role, with Meninga overlooked due to his role with the Queensland State of Origin side.

Sheens' first assignment will be the May 8 Test against world champions New Zealand in Brisbane.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 47,00.html

Probably figures his time in club coaching is limited now anyway, so might as well do some rep stuff before he retires/is forced into retirement.

Honestly, with the playing roster the Tigers have and the lack of prospects of attracting quality players there given location and stuff, I doubt he'll achieve much more with the Tigers than their fluky 2005 premiership.

Decent enough appointment IMO.

Hopefully we'll play some entertaining stuff with Sheens at the helm.

So glad the big fella didn't get this gig. He said he didn't want it and next thing you know he was in the papers saying he'd consider it! Crazy mofo!

4 in a row here we come baby..w00t

I reckon if the ARL hadn't pushed him to give up the Origin job he would've taken it.

I am sure he would have as well. I don't think it would have distracted him from QLD duty anyway there is one game in April and then he doesn't have to seriously get back into Roo-Mode until September-ish. I am glad he didn't get it though because I want someone not involved with a state therefore having potential selection bias because the NSW media would kick up a s##t storm if he selected too many Maroons just like if Bellamy selected too many Blues with our media. Perfect world a non NRL or SOO coach gets the job but the ARL isn't that intelligent.

In reality, the Australian Head Coach should really be like a coaching director for the nation, and a full time job. They should be identifying young players who are future Kangaroos coming through the NRL ranks, as well as monitoring the elite in conjunction with his selection panel, conducting regular camps for the elite in the offseason etc. Keep the Australian squad familiar with eachother, and keep an eye on the future.

He should also be responsible to work with the ARL to establish a coaching team for the Kangaroos which takes over most of the control during game preparations.

The idea you can have a club coach come to about March and go "right, who's playing good...yeah, all right, let's have a week's training and play a Test" and then spend the first few days actually getting to know the players is a joke.

Coxy said:
In reality, the Australian Head Coach should really be like a coaching director for the nation, and a full time job. They should be identifying young players who are future Kangaroos coming through the NRL ranks, as well as monitoring the elite in conjunction with his selection panel, conducting regular camps for the elite in the offseason etc. Keep the Australian squad familiar with eachother, and keep an eye on the future.

He should also be responsible to work with the ARL to establish a coaching team for the Kangaroos which takes over most of the control during game preparations.

The idea you can have a club coach come to about March and go "right, who's playing good...yeah, all right, let's have a week's training and play a Test" and then spend the first few days actually getting to know the players is a joke.

Imagine such structure in God's game? We could even have invitational matches; Australia vs Aussie Young Gun's, etc.

Never happen while N(sw)RL is still (mis)managing the sport. Sigh, QLD>NSW.

Don't have a problem with Sheens' appointment, should do a pretty good job. Agree with what you said Coxy, although I don't think there are a lot of top quality coaches around that don't already have full time club commitments - it would need someone to step away from their current job IMO

Flutterby said:
Don't have a problem with Sheens' appointment, should do a pretty good job. Agree with what you said Coxy, although I don't think there are a lot of top quality coaches around that don't already have full time club commitments - it would need someone to step away from their current job IMO

And I think that kind of job, with that wide reaching scope and the opportunity to establish or run talent academies etc could motivate someone...it'd definitely appeal to a Bennett, someone who thinks about the game.

Especially since the majority of it you could stay at home with family, not be working 7 days a week like most NRL coaches now.

Oh yeah I think it would have a lot of appeal to some. However given that the NRL is still considered the pinnacle of the sport, I think I lot of coaches egos would stop them from walking away from their NRL jobs. On the other hand, it could be a great challenge in trying to improve the status of the international game.

Agreed. I think the only ones who'd take it on would be ones who have achieved all there is to achieve at NRL level - ie, premiership success. I dislike Bellamy as a man but I think he'd be a good guy for that sort of role to be honest.

So would Sheens.

So would Bennett.

All good talent identifiers.

I'd prefer a retired player, or even a NZ coach to have a crack, NRL coaches are NRL coaches for a reason.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncs30
  • the_next
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Kev_Guz
  • The True King
  • Ozired
  • BruiserMk1
  • Socnorb
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • heartly87
  • Harry Sack
  • Brotherdu
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.