Tommy Oar Selected for Socceroos

brazil,Asia look the same :P

But seriously someone that knows the team well. How many Starters for the Roar are Aussie?

I'm pretty sure atm there are only like 3-4 foreigners playing for the roar.

McMaster
Devere
McCloughan
Zullo
Oar
Murdocca
McKay
Nicholls
Sarota

all aussies ;)

the only ones in the squad that arent Australian are Henrique, Reinaldo & Sergio Van Dijk.

and the sad thing is Reinaldo & Sergio Van Dijk are the only 2 names besides Moore i could say "hey i heard of them" and now OAR

Craig Moore is no longer with the club either. It's pretty fucked that in only about a month 2 of the roars best are gone.

I'm not gonna be renewing my season ticket next season. After almost 5 years of pure crapness I've had enough.

And sadly mate you share your thoughts with most of Australias Sporting fans.

I'm not sure if that was a jibe at me due to the fact that I'm not going to support them anymore cause they're crap. If so, just fyi I am an avid Sunderland supporter and have been since I was a young lad. I'm no fairweather fan.

Also, it's actually not that I won't be supporting them, I'll still watch them on the tele. But when I'm strapped for cash as it is, I'm not going to fork out for a season ticket anymore especially when they lose or draw almost every home game.

Nope not a jibe mate dont worry about that. More the fact your not alone in not wanting to fork out money for a team/sport that cannot get itself going in Australia. I Agree with you that its not worth paying to go and proberly 90% of Australia wouldnt pay to see a team/sport that just fails here. Thats Soccers problem in Aus

Give it time, football will grow in Australia, everyone seems to expect it to happen over night. Another world cup or two and even the hosting of one will go a long way to doing so.

When stars like Kewell, Cahill, Viduka and the likes were being shown on screen living the dream and portrayed as Australia's heroes, little kids who currently play look up to them. It's how most sports grow, everyone wants to be that guy. They stick with it at a young age, form a passion for the game.

The only thing stopping football in Australia atm IMO is the our party culture we have far outweighs our passion for the game, and I have seen this first hand. Playing football all my life I see guys who have all the promise in the wolrd, most notably a mate of mine who played for Glasgow reserves, and was doing extremely well... he just wanted to come home, see his mates and party. As an example, others who were just as talented found booze, or weed, or whatever.

The more passion for the game, the more people stick through it.. It will happen eventually, slowly but surely.

mal said:
Give it time, football will grow in Australia, everyone seems to expect it to happen over night. Another world cup or two and even the hosting of one will go a long way to doing so.

When stars like Kewell, Cahill, Viduka and the likes were being shown on screen living the dream and portrayed as Australia's heroes, little kids who currently play look up to them. It's how most sports grow, everyone wants to be that guy. They stick with it at a young age, form a passion for the game.

The only thing stopping football in Australia atm IMO is the our party culture we have far outweighs our passion for the game, and I have seen this first hand. Playing football all my life I see guys who have all the promise in the wolrd, most notably a mate of mine who played for Glasgow reserves, and was doing extremely well... he just wanted to come home, see his mates and party. As an example, others who were just as talented found booze, or weed, or whatever.

The more passion for the game, the more people stick through it.. It will happen eventually, slowly but surely.

word up man. I played on some great sides growing up and noone I played with ever made it far. Even myself, I played my first game of senior football when I was 15 and I was told i may play for Australia if I work at it, by 19 i'd given the game up completely, mainly because thursday training interfered with dollar drinks night and i was usually too hungover to play on saturday or I wanted to hang out with my girlfriend. I totally regret it now, but I did it, and many many others have. The best player I ever played with, may have made it (he had shit work ethic, but was so gifted it was crazy, he was so good on the ball that if we were winning by quite a bit, he'd beat all the defenders, then be one on one with the goalkeeper, but instead he run back a bit so he can try to beat the defenders again.) but he was in a car crash and is a quadraplegic.

However, the main thing thats stopping Australian Football progressing is participation. Just remember 10 or so years ago, "Soccer" was a nothing game in this country. The National League wasnt even broadcasted on TV and if u saw someone wearing a soccer jersey, you would be stoked. Now you see them everywhere and theres even a football channel. so give it another 10 years and we will be much bigger.

pennywisealfie said:
mal said:

word up man. I played on some great sides growing up and noone I played with ever made it far. Even myself, I played my first game of senior football when I was 15 and I was told i may play for Australia if I work at it, by 19 i'd given the game up completely, mainly because thursday training interfered with dollar drinks night and i was usually too hungover to play on saturday or I wanted to hang out with my girlfriend. I totally regret it now, but I did it, and many many others have. The best player I ever played with, may have made it (he had shit work ethic, but was so gifted it was crazy, he was so good on the ball that if we were winning by quite a bit, he'd beat all the defenders, then be one on one with the goalkeeper, but instead he run back a bit so he can try to beat the defenders again.) but he was in a car crash and is a quadraplegic.

However, the main thing thats stopping Australian Football progressing is participation. Just remember 10 or so years ago, "Soccer" was a nothing game in this country. The National League wasnt even broadcasted on TV and if u saw someone wearing a soccer jersey, you would be stoked. Now you see them everywhere and theres even a football channel. so give it another 10 years and we will be much bigger.

Yeah, my football was cut short by a dislocated hip haha. I still bash around in futsal.

I'm not sure its participation, isn't the junior base the most played in Australia? It's creating such an image that people become passionate. It's why Brazil produce such good players, even though their club football isn't the quality of Europe they are so passionate about the game that's what they do, day in day out, it's what they talk about, dream about yada yada.. As the game becomes more popular, more juniors will stick at it and dream of big things which in turn yields passion.

Also in Brazil they have no codes to compete with and it's a third world country, giving them everything to play for.

mal said:
pennywisealfie said:
mal said:

Yeah, my football was cut short by a dislocated hip haha. I still bash around in futsal.

I'm not sure its participation, isn't the junior base the most played in Australia? It's creating such an image that people become passionate. It's why Brazil produce such good players, even though their club football isn't the quality of Europe they are so passionate about the game that's what they do, day in day out, it's what they talk about, dream about yada yada.. As the game becomes more popular, more juniors will stick at it and dream of big things which in turn yields passion.

I dont mean participation now, but 10-20 years ago. Now we have lots of participation, but we wont reap the rewards of that on a senior level for quite a few years yet

draggx said:
yeah thats fair enough, But every spot needs the guy who breaks it out. the Aleague needs that star who says no the big time and wants to help grow the Aleague instead.

Im sure the Aleague would get more fans if every guy didnt run of to another comp first chance they get.

Again i dont follow this is just my views on sport in general. Its like in the 90's when Hulk Hogan left the big time and went WCW to make it big and guys like STING never touched WWE but still are known the world over. it relates to all sports imo.

Wouldnt it be awesome if guys overseas tuned into live streams of A league games because they heard about an awesome young bloke that could compete in the Euro Leagues but instead has chosen to help his home comp?

IMO Stars are champions, and champions want to prove they are the best (there are some exceptions of course, but not too many). You can't now, nor ever be able to do that in Australia, at least not in the sport of Football/Soccer. It's why Bogut plays for the Bucks and not...well I don't even know any NBL teams anymore, but the comparison is pretty apt regardless.

As for inspiring youngsters (which is slightly tangential to your point), there's no doubt being successful overseas in an elite league will do more to encourage youngsters than anything they could do staying at home in a crappy league. Young golfers don't want to be the next Brett Rumford or Richard Green. At least so far as Australians go, they'd rather be Adam Scott (and not just because of Ivanovic!). Even Scott has cited Greg Norman as his role model, a man whose achievements are for being an Aussie who succeeded in the big league (in this case tour), not the local one. I don't really think people aspire to be Darren Lockyer or Chris Judd etc. because they play in Australia, but because they are the world's best players playing in the world's best league for their respective sports.

Great debut tonight, the sky is the limit for this boy as I've said before. I know they keep saying don't get too excited re him and building him up but it's hard not to icon_thumbs_u

Shoulda put more than 1 past the Indos but Tommy had a great night anyways, looked very promising

Just out of interest Scotty, what would your England:Australia following/support/interest ratio be?

70:30?

Always been curious.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Astro
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • kman
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mr Fourex
  • pagey
  • Aldo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • barker
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • Scorchie
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.