Tour De France 2008

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
I thought I would take the liberty to start this thread as the Great race starts tommorrow at 10pm EST.

I love this race, even though I consider bike racing probably one of the most boring sports to watch!

Cadel Evans is our big hope again, particularly with no Michael Rogers in this years race. Cadel should go very close to winning it this time (came within 23 seconds last year as we all know).

Other potential winners are Valverde, Frank Schleck, Sastre and Martinez.

There are some real big names out of this years race, including Rasmussen, Vinokourov, Kloden & Contador (last years winner). This is Cadel's big chance to win the Tour!

McEwen I think will struggle to get the sprinters jersey because he is in the same team as Cadel and his teammates have been instructed to save their energy for helping Cadel win the race overall.

I also find it strange that Tom Boonen (McEwens main rival for the sprinters jersey) is listed to race, I thought he god suspended eusa_think

Anyone else keen to watch this or have predictions as to how the Aussies will go?

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Biggest question is: When does the first competitor/team get done for drugs/doping?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I think Sastre will do very well.

Leo will be in here soon telling you how Cadel is too conservative to win. [icon_wink

G

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Biggest question is: When does the first competitor/team get done for drugs/doping?

Precisely. Cycling is up there with Weightlifting for credibility

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
ningnangnong said:
I think Sastre will do very well.

Leo will be in here soon telling you how Cadel is too conservative to win. [icon_wink

Cadel Evans is too conservative too win. A reduction in time trial kilometres will hurt him, the absence of time bonuses will help him. Either way he is far too short. He also has a very weak team behind him. The winner you are looking for Alejandro Valverde Belmonte - he's improved his ITT massively, displayed great maturity in the Dauphine and is supported by Perreio, Sanchez, Arroyo, Guituirrez etc. He's got the team, he's the most talented rider, it's his to win IMO. Cadel Evans is your Steven Bradbury of the tour - he wins if everyone else that's talented falls over.

Boonen isn't racing, Steegemans will lead Quickstep along with the climber Stijn Devolder. Hushovd is favourite for the green, but my money is on Mark Cavendish. Quite an open event though as not many teams will be definitely going for this jersey, particularly now that Daniele Bennati is out.

Polka dots will be an interesting one, I've unloaded on Leonardo Piepoli. Fantastic climber who has got a demonstrated history of chasing this jersey, if he goes for it then it'll be a beautiful thing to watch icon_thumbs_u

Jersey Predictions
Yellow Winner: Alejandro Valverde Belmonte
Darkhorse: Stijn Devolder
Green Winner: Mark Cavendish
Darkhorse: Damiano Cunego
Polka Dot Winner: Leonardo Piepoli
Darkhorse: Andy Schleck
White Jersey Winner: Andy Schleck
Darkhorse: Thomas Lokqvist

Aussie Predictions
Baden Cooke: Crap. Will spend his time leading out Hunter.
Cadel Evans: A boring podium behind my man Valverde
Robbie McEwen: A few stage wins but no green.
Simon Gerrans: Will ride in a breakaway during one of the transitional stages, will be a good bet when those stages come around.
Stuart O'Grady: Weird seletion. What's his purpose in the team? Domestique I suppose, thought Julich would be better.
Trent Lowe: He might get mentioned by the commentators.

I don't even remember who the other aussies are - is McGhee racing? I don't think he is. The Rabobank aussies wont ride. Can't think of any other Aussies.

Beachy

Beachy

QCup Player
Mar 6, 2008
Leo said:
Boonen isn't racing, Steegemans will lead Quickstep along with the climber Stijn Devolder. Hushovd is favourite for the green, but my money is on Mark Cavendish. Quite an open event though as not many teams will be definitely going for this jersey, particularly now that Daniele Bennati is out.

Any concern that Cavendish won't be riding the whole event?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
By the way, Sastre will do shit. He's more passive than Evans, without the time trial ability. He will be overshadowed by the Luxembourgean Brothers icon_thumbs_u

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Below is the riders list, as on the Tour's website. Boonen is listed obviously but Leo has just said he isnt racing!

http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/RIDERS/us/engages.html

Jersey Predictions
Yellow Winner: Cadel Evans
Darkhorse: Egoi Martinez
Green Winner: Thor Hushovd
Darkhorse: Damiano Cunego
Polka Dot Winner: David De La Fuente
Darkhorse: Andy Schleck
White Jersey Winner: Andy Schleck
Darkhorse: Thomas Lokqvist

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Beachy said:
Leo said:

Definitely one, but if he's in a position to win the green jersey then I can't see him abandoning. If he abandons when not in a position to win the green jersey, it's not so big a loss. He finished the Giro Italia which has more mountain stages so he's definitely capable and whilst motivation may be a concern, IMO it's only a factor in situations where you're no longer interested. Piepoli is the better bet though

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Jeza23 said:
Below is the riders list, as on the Tour's website. Boonen is listed obviously but Leo has just said he isnt racing!

Boonen is listed as a substitute. He would be favourite for the green jersey if he were racing, so it's quite clear he's not

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Indeed he is a sub, I didnt see the asterisk next to his name!

Trent Lowe, another Aussie is racing for Garmin Chipotle. I dont know anything about this guy, is he any good?

Beachy

Beachy

QCup Player
Mar 6, 2008
Leo said:
Beachy said:
Leo said:

Definitely one, but if he's in a position to win the green jersey then I can't see him abandoning.

Not even for the Olympics?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Jeza23 said:
Indeed he is a sub, I didnt see the asterisk next to his name!

Trent Lowe, another Aussie is racing for Garmin Chipotle. I dont know anything about this guy, is he any good?

What a stupid name anyway. Why can't they just be called Slipstream, in the way that Columbia should be called High Road. He's a climber and thats about all I know about him. He might have raced for Rabobank in the past, but he's certainly not somebody of note. Heinrich Haussler is kinda Aussie, and I actually thought he was going to represent Australia in the 2009 championships, so not sure why he's still riding as a german, though I suppose he is a Gerolsteiner rider.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Love this race, one of my favorite events of the year. I seriously class this up there with origin. So good.

I agree, Cadel is a bit "boring" and conservative but he is the favorite with good reason.

There hasnt been a positive doping test all season, so hopefully it wont start in le tour.

Those big names you mentioned jeza are both big names missing only because of drugs... so im quite happy they arent there.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I used to love it like I used to love sprinting, but to me the sport is almost completely ruined by a very large portion of high profile competitors that have chosen to cheat. I will watch bits of it and sure I will get into it but I will sit there watching a guy thinking "I wonder if this one is clean?". It's a big shame.

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Valverde came from behind Kim Kirchen to win Stage 1.

Evans finished 1 second behind in 6th place. Good start for Cadel!

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
The Greek God of Thunder (who is actually Norwegian haha) Thor Hushovd won the 2nd stage with Cadel and Valverde both outside the top 10.

As Coxy said Cadel is up 1 place into 5th, nice solid start for him!

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Lozza
  • Redux
  • Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • OzeMike
  • scobie
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.