NEWS TPJ chooses Tonga over Origin

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
R0 78 4079 2383 w1200 h678 fmax

Broncos forward Tevita Pangai Junior chooses Tonga over New South Wales and State of Origin

March 28, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Commendable, even though it doesn't make sense.

Good result for the Broncos though.

Commendable, even though it doesn't make sense.

Good result for the Broncos though.
He sounds like he is philosophising to the extent that if the money was meant for him it will find him by some other way or reward. Good onya champ, so refreshing to hear somebody who is not held in the thrall,of filthy lucre.

He sounds like he is philosophising to the extent that if the money was meant for him it will find him by some other way or reward. Good onya champ, so refreshing to hear somebody who is not held in the thrall,of filthy lucre.

I meant that he was born in NSW, Australia but he's choosing to represent where his parents were born over that. That doesn't make sense to me.

I can understand fringe rep players doing it, but not when he's likely to be a walk up start to NSW for the next decade.

I meant that he was born in NSW, Australia but he's choosing to represent where his parents were born over that. That doesn't make sense to me.

I can understand fringe rep players doing it, but not when he's likely to be a walk up start to NSW for the next decade.
I'm guessing it's because he identifies more with his Tongan heritage then his place of birth. He's just doing what he wants without money being a factor. The Broncos have hit gold with the guy

Who cares where he was born? It's not like he was given a choice, he obviously feels pretty well grounded in saying he is Tongan, and that's who he is.

Like I said it’s commendable I just wouldn’t do it. And yeah we’ve hit the jackpot

We need more players to do this.

The International game will be better for it.

It's very admirable IMO. I hope it's another step in setting a trend which will make smaller nations stronger in Rugby League. Origin is already awesome, the international game needs a lot of work. I believe this will help out tremendously and I hope other Tongan representatives do the same.

I also hope Payne Haas chooses to represent Samoa. That may or may not be in spite of NSW... :pokeytongue:

They'll get to it ... right now they are busy writing the article blaming Lodge for the ball tampering incident in South Africa
Lodge should send Smith and co a year's supply of coarse sandpaper. The hand wringers who demand to be outraged now have new targets.

I think hes overshot the gun here - but its his own belief and hes speaking well and sounds focused.

Tonga being Tier 2 would still allow him to play origin? That's the way i understand it..So obviously its a moral choice of some kind - which would only be a moral choice against money, that still wouldn't affect his international rep career?

I think hes overshot the gun here - but its his own belief and hes speaking well and sounds focused.

Tonga being Tier 2 would still allow him to play origin? That's the way i understand it..So obviously its a moral choice of some kind - which would only be a moral choice against money, that still wouldn't affect his international rep career?
I think the switching between Tonga and NSW can only be done for the World Cup, not for the 4 years in between.

The issue being that if he plays for NSW, then he would need to play for Australia if he was selected. he could then only play for Tonga if he misses selection.

I think the switching between Tonga and NSW can only be done for the World Cup, not for the 4 years in between.

no, they changed the rules ... you can play for a tier 2 nation (Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc) if you miss selection for your eligible tier 1 nation. in this circumstance, playing for your tier 2 nation would not affect you Aussie/Origin eligibility

The issue being that if he plays for NSW, then he would need to play for Australia if he was selected. he could then only play for Tonga if he misses selection.

no, they changed the rules ... you can play for a tier 2 nation (Tonga, PNG, Fiji etc) if you miss selection for your eligible tier 1 nation. in this circumstance, playing for your tier 2 nation would not affect you Aussie/Origin eligibility

Ahh so the critical component is that if he is NOT selected for Australia.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fatboy
  • Skyblues87
  • Santa
  • Reds2011
  • Redfern_1980
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • lynx000
  • porouian
  • johnny plath
  • jarro65
  • Waynesaurus
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.