NEWS TPJ wants to cut it out

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Chris Honnery writes in tomorrow's The Courier-Mail:

Tongan international Tevita Pangai Jr, now in his fifth year at the Broncos, has no plans to kerb his aggressive style but concedes he has to play smarter after missing seven games through dangerous contact and careless high tackle charges. Last year he sat out two-weeks for a late hit on Cooper Cronk in Round 4, one week for a “careless high tackle” on Phillip Sami in Round 19, and four weeks for dangerous contact with James Maloney in Round 22.

Says Pangai:

“I have to be aggressive. That’s what Seibs (coach Anthony Seibold) re-signed me for, for my aggression so I want to keep that. But obviously with carry-over points, I’ve got to be a bit smarter than that. We’ve got the NRL refs coming in and they’re always on me about repeat offences. That’s just my game. It’s high intensity, a power game. I know where the line is, but if I go out there not wanting to tackle then obviously not going to win the game. Two of them (suspensions) I felt were unlucky. It’s a fast game NRL so sometimes things go wrong. I just want to make big plays and inspire my team.”

He says this year's pre-season is one of the toughest ever as Seibold focuses on the squad’s defence. He's been running in the backrow over the pre-season and said he was open to playing on the edge this year:

“I feel like I’m an edge backrower but I talk about selfless actions. If I have to play in the middle, then that’s where I feel I’m best for the team. I feel like I’m best for the team on the edge but I feel like I can play both.”

McHunt

Last edited:
TPJ has the brain snap gene....thats what he has to manage the most.

He does need to dial it back a little, the fella has a target on his back. Of the three offences listed I reckon the Cronk one was line ball at best but he got nailed for being a forward smashing a famous half, the Maloney one was a bit of bad luck with Maloney spinning round on the ground then carrying on like a pork chop afterwards, and the Sami one was again a bit of bad luck with Sami falling late while a Titans player actually pushed TPJ. Iirc the same weekend Ponga came flying in and elbowed the head of a player who didn't have the ball yet wasn't even cited. But now he's been done a few times he'll always be scrutinised and given harsh treatment because he's got priors, regardless of the deservedness of them.

I hope he only reins it in mildly, enough to carve off about 4 weeks worth of sideline time at least. I love the aggression and killer instinct he brings, but it is definitely obvious he has a problem with expediency.

Last edited:
I don't think he needs to change, the suspension at the end of the year with James maloney was nonsense and the odd 1or 2 game suspensions are pretty much expected for a player who plays as intense as he does in the forwards.

Biggest issue he has now is he has a reputation for being reckless. Going to be hard to shake, and he does tend to do a few too many dumb things.
I reckon he was targeted because he is a Bronco. Sam Burgess was way way worse yet still didn't get the shit TPJ received each week. I think there are several other players who are bigger offenders. That Maloney suspension was an absolute joke.

I reckon he was targeted because he is a Bronco. Sam Burgess was way way worse yet still didn't get the shit TPJ received each week. I think there are several other players who are bigger offenders. That Maloney suspension was an absolute joke.

Could be something in that as well, but he does attract a bit of attention with how he carries on at times. Tbf, i think thats what happened to Burgess last year as well. He got away with a fair bit for years, but last year he didnt.

The issue was he took no prisoners and gave it to guys like Tomolololololo, Cronk and Maloney.

All rep players. All NRL crown jewel markable players.

All with a lot of friends in the media.. and the NRL only act to whatever the media bias churns out. If they say it, it's true. If they question it, so does the NRL.

His tackles were "dog shots" "unnecessary" says big name commentator. ... Therefore, Evidence

The issue was he took no prisoners and gave it to guys like Tomolololololo, Cronk and Maloney.

All with a lot of friends in the media.. and the NRL only act to whatever the media bias churns out. If they say it, it's true. If they question it, so does the NRL.

His tackles were "dog shots" "unnecessary" says big name commentator. ... Therefore, Evidence
* because who knows the game more than an immortal.

The NRL couldn't contradict an immortal so, charge.

Agree Marty, THAT tackle on Maloney was fair in every sense. He was penalised, from memory because it was aggressive. I was absolutely gobsmacked that he was charged but even more perplexed at the length of the suspension. I thought, no way he'll get charged and it'll be 'no case to answer' if he does. **** me dead if I'm lying but he gets charged without a downgrade. One of the most blatant attacks on the Broncos in recent years. There's been a few doozies!

Like many things in league, it’s the double standards. If you’re a media darling, you get a lot of leniency because the game cuts off its nose in order to preserve its public image. If you aren’t, or the target is one, you get slugged with over-the-top penalties

Agree Marty, THAT tackle on Maloney was fair in every sense. He was penalised, from memory because it was aggressive. I was absolutely gobsmacked that he was charged but even more perplexed at the length of the suspension. I thought, no way he'll get charged and it'll be 'no case to answer' if he does. **** me dead if I'm lying but he gets charged without a downgrade. One of the most blatant attacks on the Broncos in recent years. There's been a few doozies!
You put that next to the dog shot elbows from Jet and Sua they got away with. That Maloney one was just an accident that can happen in a game from time to time. The Nrl is always putting the hand on the scale. Pushed by NSW sports media.

You put that next to the dog shot elbows from Jet and Sua they got away with. That Maloney one was just an accident that can happen in a game from time to time. The Nrl is always putting the hand on the scale. Pushed by NSW sports media.
A fucking billion percent!!!!!!!!

I hope we smash those Souths ***** this year.

They've become my most hated team now.

Melbourne I not so hate more dread.. but the "rabbits" my god those smug arseholes need to get theirs

Active Now

• Griffo
  • broncs30
  • mrtij
  • Brocko
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • dirtyharry
  • davidp
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.