Trial 1: Broncos vs Cowboys

I can see Waddell becoming a club favourite now, he wasn't one already :laugh: Hell maybe even Maranta may look good now.

Just sounds like a scrappy game where the Broncos happened to make the most costly errors.

No more, no less.

Wayne will just be happy we got through it and there weren't any injuries.

And that's full time, 16-6, no actual footage to go by but by the sounds of it a rather poor performance in poor conditions. I think Big Pete makes a good point particularly in one respect, no injuries, that's a big plus in scrappy conditions.

Last edited:
Wayne will just be happy we got through it and there weren't any injuries.

I'm happy that Kahu managed to get through it without an injury. We all remember 2014...

Wonder how players like Blair and Offahengue went.

18-6 rather, last one was converted.

Im hoping it will bighlight to Wayne how useless Waddell is. (Not that ive seen how useless he is).
Also Kahu needs to learn to catch the highball. He put down 2 critical ones in a game last year

I am tired of the word 'gel'.

Last edited:
And that's full time, 16-6, no actual footage to go by but by the sounds of it a rather poor performance in poor conditions. I think Big Pete makes a good point particularly in one respect, no injuries, that's a big plus in scrappy conditions.

Do we really want a healthy Waddell?

Do we really want a healthy Waddell?

Or an injured Hunt or Milford? if the cost is Waddell to be healthy after a scrappy trial affair for the rest to be able to walk away so be it I'm glad to walk away injury free, besides I wouldn't wish injury on a player just because I don't rate them.

Last edited:
WAYNE Bennett will walk away from the Broncos first trial of the match encouraged after some new - and some old - players played well in a 18-6 loss to the Cowboys in Mackay.The match was locked at 6-all well into the second half, the. Cowboys scoring twice late after Bennett had emptied his bench to give the younger players a taste of the action.
But it will be the strong form of new recruits Adam Blair and James Gavet and the showings of Alex Glenn, injury returnee Mitchell Dodds and youngster Tom Opacic that will please the coach.
The game was tied up at halftime and Broncos continued to mount pressure even against a howling gale as the second half began.
They had a chance to go to the lead when Anthony Milford grubbered in goal but could only get a line dropout.
In the 57th minute returnee Dodds rattled the ball out of a Cowboy attacker, a great sign for a player in his first match in 18 months.
The Broncos rolled most of their starting side off with 25 minutes to go to have a look at the younger players on the bench.
With 12 minutes to go the Cowboys got in front through a spilled ball behind the line, former Broncos' hooker Jake Granville cleaning up for a four pointer.
The Cowboys pressed again with plenty of ball, but Darren Nicholls denied Granville by holding him up on the last tackle.
A dropped ball was costly with three minutes to, the Cowboys spreading it for Kyle Feldt to score in the corner.
Earlier, I the seventh minute the Broncos had numbers left and looked certain to score but for a lucky Feldt intercept off an Anthony Milford pass.
The Broncos were denied another try in the 14th minute.
Lachlan Maranta cleaned up and dashed over after a spilled bomb but the referee ruled there had been a knock on by Brisbane before the ball came loose.
A dropped bomb by Jordan Kahu in the 18th minute gave the Cowboys the chance for first points.
After they received a tackle count restart, Robert Lui took advantage of a broken defensive line and stepped his way over.
Feldt kicked the goal and it was 6-0.
Ten minutes before halftime the rain came slashing in sideways on a southerly buster and handling started to deteriorate.
It was two members of the Broncos' 2014 NYC grand final side that levelled the match just before halftime.
Kodi Nikorima took off from dummy half and slipped a ball inside to prop Joe Ofahengaue, who carried two defenders over the line.

From the Broncos website.

I wish they went into more detail about Blair and Gavet..

No injuries?

I'll chalk that up as a win.

Only thing I care about is no injuries. Pretty sure we played awfully in the 2006 trials, so trial form is worthless to me.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Mighty Bronx
  • dirtyharry
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • ostin86
  • Fitzy
  • Big Del
  • Strop
  • jd87
  • Battler
  • Midean
  • Rah88
  • Bucking Beads
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.