OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

What’s this talk of Niu playing a role off the bench? He can’t play hooker so the comparison isn’t even accurate but also why would you use Nikorima as an example of who you want him to emulate? Niko is barely first grade quality too.

I’ll cop him being our first choice fullback for now but he’s not a bench player. Paix, Walters, and Gamble are all much better choices for the utility role

did you watch Niko in 2015, because that's what we're comparing ... not Niko of 2022

Tesi would get picked up by another club if he were on the outer with us, I have no doubt about that. People are also forgetting some of the other stuff away from footy he has had to deal with, the passing of his father, the injuries, etc.

All that and then asked to come out and give us the complete fullback performance at the age of 20, give the guy a chance ffs.

It's a bit like being a running back in the NFL... you could have incredible attacking potential, but no team will let you on the field to play until you've proven that you're at least serviceable at handling the un-flashy, team-first fundamentals like pass blocking. If you can't do that, then the team suffers even if you manage a few big plays - fullback is exactly the same.

It's why we've looked so much better with TMM out the back despite him lacking the attacking flair and playmaking ability of Niu - and it will be the same when Walsh comes... I don't want him in that 1 jersey until he's shown that he is capable at being in position, organising the defensive line, getting involved in holding up players over the line etc etc. At number 1, you're a spine player, not just an attacking weapon. How many gun attacking players have we seen that aren't able to develop into good fullbacks - Dufty, Savage, Sloane...

Niu has a ton of attacking flair and potential - and that's why some posters here are so high on him, but has shown very little in the more selfless, team-centric roles of being a fullback - which is why others don't see him as a viable option. He'd probably be better off in a position like centre where he could attack without the burden of being a spine player, but the consensus seems to be his defence isn't of the standard to make that viable.

Are those team-based, spine player responsibilities / skills something that can be taught? Yeah I think so - certainly more teachable than natural attacking flair and ability... but they've got to be dedicated to improving and learning. They're all young kids, they'll have ups and downs, but you want their focus to be on steering the ship and defence first, and then attacking can come later when they're comfortable with the fundamental responsibilities.

The fullback battle next year might not come down to talent or attacking / playmaking ability, but just whoever has worked harder to become a more complete spine player and do the behind-the-scenes, fundamental things that drive the team - even if that brings the absence of huge flashy attacking highlights.
"The fullback battle next year might not come down to talent or attacking / playmaking ability, but just whoever has worked harder to become a more complete spine player and do the behind-the-scenes, fundamental things that drive the team - even if that brings the absence of huge flashy attacking highlights."

Sound like a very Kevin Walters thing to do :)

If we where forced into tmm swap with Walsh would a tesi to centre and Walsh to fullback work or would that be way too much disruption at this stage of the comp

If we where forced into tmm swap with Walsh would a tesi to centre and Walsh to fullback work or would that be way too much disruption at this stage of the comp

If we were to do it we would need to start it next week. But I would be all for Tesi playing centre over Lee. Defensively, very little changes but offensively, Tesi is killing it at the moment and he could provide what we've been missing attack wise since Herbie got injured.

We have to wait and see what Mariner does 1st ...

Totally agree, he’s going to impress a few today.

On Walsh, I thought he was really good last night, especially defensively and that’s what I’m watching for at the moment.

Totally agree, he’s going to impress a few today.

On Walsh, I thought he was really good last night, especially defensively and that’s what I’m watching for at the moment.
100%. Was doing the same. His defence was good and he did something I reckon very few fullbacks would have done and it was taking Felise down like that… obviously he got the arm free but I think it was important to see him make a 1v1 tackle on a big forward like that. Shows he is capable of he goes for the legs.

Badel/Read reporting that the Warriors have rejected our request to get Walsh early
Rejected a straight release or a TMM trade? Surely it's in the best interest of both clubs to get the players they've signed from next year onwards early.

Rejected a straight release or a TMM trade? Surely it's in the best interest of both clubs to get the players they've signed from next year onwards early.

If the Warriors were still a chance for finals maybe, but they aren't.

Sounds like a straight release. Article doesn't mention TMM at all

100%. Was doing the same. His defence was good and he did something I reckon very few fullbacks would have done and it was taking Felise down like that… obviously he got the arm free but I think it was important to see him make a 1v1 tackle on a big forward like that. Shows he is capable of he goes for the legs.

Tesi took down junior Paulo front on in the clear last week .
Shows he is capable as well ...

Won't happen ... hopefully TMM takes the fullback position back
Thats the best result for the remainder of the season TBH.....

TMM back in the side, starts to put the winning combination back together.

Lets get focused again on the here and now.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.