Walters dismisses "laughable" claims about Broncos training standards

BHQArticleImageLarge106

Brisbane Broncos coach Kevin Walters has dismissed claims the team’s training standards haven’t been up to scratch this year while also almost guaranteeing stars Reece Walsh and Payne Haas will return from injury this season.

There has been reports about a drop in training standards at Red Hill this season with the Broncos sitting outside the top eight, even winger Jesse Arthars recently admitted errors made at training were “not ideal” and that they would be “better for it if we make less errors”.

But Walters said he believed their trainings were as good as any team in the competition.

“Anyone that’s been to our training, anyone that goes to any training sessions, they’re not always exactly how you’d like them but our standards, I’m not sure who came up with that story but it’s pretty laughable really,” he said on Breakfast SENQ.

“I’m confident with the group we have, our training methods are as good as anyone’s in the NRL and everyone is welcome to come down and have a look if they see fit.”

Broncos legend Corey Parker responded to Walters’ comments, saying the team wasn’t willing to pay the same price they did when they made the grand final in 2023.

“This is a team that played in a grand final last year that is littered with stars and international players… may main points and comments surrounding the Brisbane Broncos was simple, they weren’t or are not prepared to pay the same price as they did the year before,” he said on Mornings SENQ.

“Last year their season was built on unity and was built on defensive resolve… you come into this season and something is not there… it starts Monday to Friday, it starts in the preseason, it starts with the training habits and standards and clearly they haven’t been up to scratch for long periods of time.”

While the Broncos head into Friday’s clash with Parramatta as favourites, they will be without two stars in Walsh and Haas but Walters was confident the duo would return before the season has ended.

“Well I’m going to go like my maths exams that I used to get at school, 100 per cent, 100 per cent Reece Walsh will be playing in a Broncos game again this year,” he said on Breakfast SENQ.

“Payne the same, another maths exam from the late 80s, 100 per cent for Kevin Walters and 100 per cent for Payne Haas, he’ll be playing again.”

Kick-off between Brisbane and Parramatta is at 8pm at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

SEN

"I'll refer you to my spokesperson Billy...............no relation"

Active Now

• Galah
  • Alec
  • Skyblues87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.