NEWS Walters urges Mozer to be patient, NRL chance will come

BHQArticleImageLarge24

Kevin Walters insists highly rated hooker Blake Mozer has a long-term future at the club and has urged the teenager to be patient and wait for his NRL opportunity.

The former Queensland under-19s rake is signed until the end of 2025 and has been plying his trade for Souths-Logan in the Queensland Cup, for whom he lined up in 18 games last year.

The Broncos currently have four hookers in their top 30.

First choice No.9 Billy Walters is on the cusp of finalising a two-year extension to the end of 2026, while bench hooker Tyson Smoothy is signed through 2025, as is Cory Paix who is shining for Wynnum-Manly.

Mozer, who turns 20 next week, is regarded as a potential future representative hooker, and Broncos coach Walters was on Friday asked if he expected the youngster to wait around for his chance to play NRL.

"Patience is a virtue," Walters said.

"You need to be patient in life, and particularly in rugby league. If you are in a hurry to get somewhere in rugby league it often doesn't work out for you.

"He is in Queensland Cup and he is doing some good things, but there are parts of his game he needs to work really hard on - which he is.

"We have got no complaints about what he is doing or how he is going about it."

Mozer - who has played one NRL game - has been striking up excellent combinations in the second tier, Walters said, adding that the club has "excellent depth" in the hooking space.

"At the moment, Billy and Tyson have a mortgage on those two positions," Walters said.

"Billy and Tyson are playing well, but we see Blake as a long-term player here.

"He is still honing his skills in the Queensland Cup. He is building some good relationships at that level which is going to help him when he does get his chance.

"I expect him to play in the NRL this year. I have no hesitation with him playing in our team."

Walters's son Billy has revitalised his career at the Broncos since joining the club in 2022 from Wests Tigers, who he will play against in Campbelltown on Saturday night.

"Billy has fought hard to get every bit of his NRL career," Walters said.

"Some players come in and get everything at their feet, but he's had to fight really hard.

"That's a proud dad moment, but also a proud Broncos moment.

"He is playing good football for us and really improving each week. Whilst he continues to do that, he will be a proud son.

"Last weekend he was very good for us and we're expecting the same against the Tigers."

Canberra Times

I want Mozer to be patient but with Billy's extension I wouldn't be at all surprised if he now leaves. I think he and many of us thought he would have more than 1 first grade game to his name by now but to Billy's credit he hasn't allowed that. I get he needs his time in qcup but the apparent raps the club have on him makes me question why we haven't seen more of him.
I think he will get a decent offer from one of the lower tabled sides and will go. Hopefully I am wrong.

..........It’s not like we know he’s an elite first grader at this stage.

Thats the bottom line IMO.
Whilst the public think and hopes he'll turn out to be something great. The reality is.......he is still developing and hasn't been playing to such a high standard that screams "you must pick me for first grade....now!"

I hope he stays, and he should. The path here is clear, we've gone all in on him. He's doing the job in Cup but he's not playing well above it at this stage yet either. If he was bashing the door down, he'd be in the team, he still has a lot of improvement and some physical growth to do yet as well. He'll get there, let's hope the kid is patient. He's said the right things in the past, so fingers crossed.

Thats the bottom line IMO.
Whilst the public think and hopes he'll turn out to be something great. The reality is.......he is still developing and hasn't been playing to such a high standard that screams "you must pick me for first grade....now!"
It think we will see a much bigger jump in the form of Mozer once he gets a run of games in the top grade. He’s playing with a badly beaten pack at the moment. He’ll have to wait for his opportunity and when it comes im backing him in.

It think we will see a much bigger jump in the form of Mozer once he gets a run of games in the top grade. He’s playing with a badly beaten pack at the moment. He’ll have to wait for his opportunity and when it comes im backing him in.

It’s what Mam did. Looked ok at the level below, got his shot at first grade and went next level.

Kevvie is making Mozer earn his shot, it’s elite coaching.

It’s what Mam did. Looked ok at the level below, got his shot at first grade and went next level.

Kevvie is making Mozer earn his shot, it’s elite coaching.
Yes!! I’m very happy with how Kevvie is developing my as a coach. Very content with where he has us heading.

And I hate to say it but I applaud Flanagan for what he is doing with Lomax. He knew he’d cop it from the media but also knows that you can’t have a player who thinks he’s bigger than the team, otherwise you end up as a Titans or current season Souths.

Only have to look at how Arthur's came into the side. Oates get a injury Arthur's comes in and holds his spot.
Similar thing was happening with Tesi and Martin a few
I think if Smoothy goes down Mozer gets a crack and could hold that spot, no matter how good Smoothy is.
Mozer is probably a injury away to Billy or Smoothy at getting his chance.

I want Mozer to be patient but with Billy's extension I wouldn't be at all surprised if he now leaves. I think he and many of us thought he would have more than 1 first grade game to his name by now but to Billy's credit he hasn't allowed that. I get he needs his time in qcup but the apparent raps the club have on him makes me question why we haven't seen more of him.
I think he will get a decent offer from one of the lower tabled sides and will go. Hopefully I am wrong.
I think he will stay. Billy is 30. Hardly a long term roadblock and could even become the bench backup during that time if Mozer makes a good fist of a first grade opportunity. It would not be in Mozer's interest to not extend Billy while he settles into first grade. I am sure there is a plan for him.

The reality is Mozer will likely get his crack soon enough and when he does he will get to show what he’s made of. It’s not like we know he’s an elite first grader at this stage.
I get how important the role is and I do hope Mozer is "the one", however, we have never relied on a dominant hooker and don't base our game on one. Bit part hookers have worked for us..aka Berrigan etc. As long as we have Mam, Walsh, Carrigan, Cobbo we dob't need a rockstar number 9

I get how important the role is and I do hope Mozer is "the one", however, we have never relied on a dominant hooker and don't base our game on one. Bit part hookers have worked for us..aka Berrigan etc. As long as we have Mam, Walsh, Carrigan, Cobbo we dob't need a rockstar number 9
Mozer has the ability to make our big forwards even bigger weapons. We’ve never relied on a dominant hooker because we’ve never really had one. Luke Priddis is probably the most dominant hooker we’ve ever had.

Mozer has the ability to make our big forwards even bigger weapons. We’ve never relied on a dominant hooker because we’ve never really had one. Luke Priddis is probably the most dominant hooker we’ve ever had.
Kerrod was the Australian hooker at one point. Conescu was good too. But that was a long time ago. Overall, a position that we haven't had a lot of elite players in compared to every other position.

Kerrod W went ok as well. But thats the point. Smoothy and BW are good enough to do this. I really want Mozer to be our Harry Grant but our attack model is not reliant on a superstar hooker.

Mozer just needs to look at every player who has played under Kevvie, and every single one of them is a better player since he started coaching them. He turned Flegler from a liability bench player to an Origin starter, turned Carrigan into the best forward in the game and turned Cobbo into a dominant centre. He should stay and he will be the next long term 9 for QLD.

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.