NEWS Wayne Bennett backs second Brisbane team

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by Porthoz, Mar 8, 2019.

LINK

Putting dows his candidacy as inaugural coach of another Brisbane team, or just butt-hurt throwing shade at the Broncos?

Tags:
    LGH and Big Del like this.
  1. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

Definitely interesting timing

2. Well WB was probably asked his opinion and gave it. People condemn him for not talking and condemn him for talking. The Crushers started life as the QRLs team although their interest was flat out denied by the QRL and it was only after their hand was forced did they admit they had part funded it. It was founded on lies and performed like a poor ISC team. It deservedly was killed off and none of that was down to the Broncos.

Many of us would be happy with another team in Brisbane and that's not butthurt.

Locky's Left Boot likes this.
    Except it's not the first time he was asked that question, and has up until now, always been against it...

3. Oh, I didn't know that. Any links to his previous statements?

4. big k

big k QCup Player

It's butt hurt from him.

5. Socnorb

Socnorb

Does that now mean that the rest of the media will be against it?

GKDonkey likes this.
  6. I'm posting from memory, but I'm sure they are easy enough to find. I'll look them up later tonight if no one finds them before me...

Huge likes this.
  7. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

Where would the supporters come from though? Everyone already has a team. I'm thinking they will get hardly any supporters except for people who hate the Broncos and have them as their second team. Perth makes more sense...or a second Melbourne team that actually tries to grow the game in Melbourne rather than getting juniors from everywhere but Melbourne.

8. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

there's this weird assumption that despite overwhelmingly the best crowds every year, that everyone in brisbane actually hates brisbane and they either turn up to see them lose and/or its the opp fans making up the vast majority of the numbers.

I bleed Maroon and Tom like this.
  9. I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon State of Origin Rep

NSW is the centre of the universe remember, so if they hate us, everyone else has to as well

Locky's Left Boot likes this.
  10. Wolfie

Wolfie State of Origin Rep

Surely it would be a club like Redcliffe if there were to be a side added to the NRL.

11. Sproj

Sproj

I imagine it would make sense to use the Ipswich Jets. They are already established and in a league mad district.

12. Wolfie

Wolfie State of Origin Rep

Redcliffe are more stable and have a better infrastructure imo. They seem the logical choice if an ISC team is going to make the step up.

13. Yes, best claim in the region but I think it will be an amalgam of interests. I think there will be plenty of supporters in Brisbane and some of them will be half committed ex Bronco supporters. I believe the last thing that would succeed over the distance would be a relocated club so I'd think a brand new club would get plenty of support. That said a well run and upfront organisation (happy now?) which demands honesty in all dealings would be embraced and would get me to a few games too. They would have to be competitive though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Wolfie likes this.
  14. Allo

Allo NRL Player

Redcliffe makes sense. It’s far enough away, isn’t technically in Brisbane and has the population and history just as much as any Sydney club bar Souths, Merge and Rorters. They’ll need some marquees to get them from the top of ISC to something above wooden spoon territory rather quickly otherwise the outrage if they replace a Sydney club will be deafening

There’s also a counter-article quoting a guy from the Bombers saying Reddy will fail ... because of course he would be saying that. **** the Bombers. Even more plastic than the Titans (maybe)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  15. Allo

Allo NRL Player

There’d be elements of that no doubt, particularly with the influx of southerners migrating up here, but I think it’s more a case of it being something to do on a Friday night while most people are in the city after work

16. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

i very much doubt the % of the crowd at suncorp is against the home team.

at a stretch it might be a 50/50 for the kiwis

17. Source: WWOS
    Pretty dumb from Lockyer to be supporting a second Brisbane team. You'd think he should place corporate interests of the team as a board member a bit higher than personal opinion.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    I wouldn't mind another SEQ team, but I don't want it to be the Brisbane Bombers or some crap, just make it the Redcliffe Dolphins or Ipswich Jets.