MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Broncos have finalised and have three player resignings to announce and they have been holding out for the coaching saga to be finalised.

Makes sense.

It's a smart move to have some positive news ready to go in regards to player re-signings after news like the Bennett sacking.

Daily telegraph now reporting that Bennett will not be paid for the final year of his contract -

Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold swap finally confirmed

DECEMBER 02, 2018

Wayne Bennett has been sacked by the Broncos, with his replacement Anthony Seibold to hold his first Brisbane training session on Monday morning.
Bennett will not be paid out for the remaining year of his coaching contract.
He will be replaced by South Sydney coach Seibold at the Broncos for the 2019 season while Bennett heads to the Rabbitohs.
“The Brisbane Broncos board has terminated coach Wayne Bennett’s contract with immediate effect,” the Broncos said in a statement.

Last edited:
I know quite a few people have been highly critical of White and the Board, perhaps rightfully so. But to me it looks like they have done their best to facilitate an amicable and graceful end to WB's tenure as coach, but they have met resistance in doing so. Ultimately, it appears that they had no other option but to terminate the contract in light of information that was coming out.

Does anyone have the email leak story? Behind a paywall :(

Holy shit!! For real?
For a supposed jouno his grammar is shocking. It should have read - Wayne Bennett's position with the Broncos has been terminated. "Wayne Bennett has been terminated" means his life has been ended. Then again perhaps the later sentiment has more truth than I'm giving the journo credit for.

I know quite a few people have been highly critical of White and the Board, perhaps rightfully so. But to me it looks like they have done their best to facilitate an amicable and graceful end to WB's tenure as coach, but they have met resistance in doing so. Ultimately, it appears that they had no other option but to terminate the contract in light of information that was coming out.

You may be right there. I'm sure a whole lot has happened and been said by both sides that we haven't been privy to in regard to negotiations to end things with some sense of civility.

Last edited:
2f564b5b347974afe9b5b0cbf5bae3f4

Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold swap finally confirmed
Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail

Wayne Bennett has been sacked by the Broncos, with his replacement Anthony Seibold to hold his first Brisbane training session on Monday morning.

Bennett will not be paid out for the remaining year of his coaching contract.
He will be replaced by South Sydney coach Seibold at the Broncos for the 2019 season while Bennett heads to the Rabbitohs.

“The Brisbane Broncos board has terminated coach Wayne Bennett’s contract with immediate effect,” the Broncos said in a statement.

c9eb72e82d6af1ebc2fcc466318ff8b1

“The terms of this termination are confidential. The Broncos thank him for his contribution to the club and wish him all the best in the future."

“An announcement about the club’s coach for the 2019 season will be made soon.
The Broncos would like to thank members, sponsors, corporate partners, players and staff for their patience and understanding through this period of transition.”

After 25 seasons at the helm of the Red Hill franchise, Bennett’s tenure is finally over following a bitter split with Broncos powerbrokers.

f7925473c6b9064a0a36b302157d861c

Last Friday, Bennett shocked the NRL after declaring he was ready to dig in and serve out the final year of his contract despite being heavily linked with an immediate move to South Sydney.

The Broncos were reluctant to sack Bennett, however the landscape changed dramatically over the weekend following Seibold’s allegations Bennett had been in contact with Rabbitohs players and making recruitment decisions.

Bennett, 68, was contracted to coach the Broncos in 2019, however the club was keen to move him on to avoid any destabilising drama next year.

Seibold signed a four-year deal with Brisbane from 2020, but will now link with the Broncos in the coming weeks on a five-year tenure that will keep him at the club until at least 2023.

dca2ec27b9473174c476af1ca403558f

Bennett was Brisbane’s foundation coach in 1988 and guided the club to all six of its premierships, the last coming in 2006.

He left the Broncos in 2009 to coach the Dragons, where he won a seventh title, and Knights, before returning to Brisbane in 2015.

The Broncos qualified for the NRL grand final in Bennett’s first year back at the club, but lost an epic all-Queensland decider to the Cowboys in extra-time.

Bennett was keen to remain as head coach of the Broncos beyond 2019, but the club’s reluctance to extend his tenure led him strike a deal with the Rabbitohs.

He refused to depart Brisbane early before the relationship eventually became untenable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's shitting on the club. He's just pointing out how much the relationship deteriorated.

Yeah that’s how I read it. I didn’t even notice until Smith pointed it out.

It does say a fair bit. Sam got articles dedicated to him and a video montage of his off field stuff while Bennett gets 19 words..

Yeah that's fair, it may or may not be him, but I don't see why an email to a CEO would be shared amongst the company. It's either him or the Rabbits CEO who were playing the game to get Bennett sacked.

I hope it's not Seibold, but they've quoted him directly, and if someone is leaking his personal email that he wrote, I'd expect him to come out and say so.
Seibolds concerns would likely have been shared with many of the Rabbits senior management, in particular Richardson, could have been anyone of them (or Seibold himself) that leaked the email ...

Given the Rabbitohs apparent desperation for the swap to happen immediately, maybe they thought leaking the email to the media was the best way to ensure the Broncos sacked Wayne Bennett, knowing that it would give the club cause to sack him without either club paying a cent in compo

The Broncos have effectively been paying Bennett for over 2 months without him doing anything but damage for the club. That's about $200,000. Bennett should be glad he got that.

I don't have any issue at all with how Bennett has tried to play this. The process the board underwent during the season to try and find a new coach for 2020+ while at the same time refusing to confirm that Bennett would not extended beyond 2019 was a disgrace and an insult to everyone's intelligence, so it's fair enough that Bennett has dragged them through this. I could not care less about whatever was happening with Souths, Seibold and their situation.

At the end of the day - both clubs now have new coaches who are both (hopefully for our sake) decent at what they do, and I doubt the saga of the past few weeks will have any additional impact on either clubs' fortunes for next year once they move on and start training.

Man I've seen some serious journalist bashing on here.

Turns out it was all true.

So how does that feel. You know who you are.

A lot of journos cop a lot of shit that's pretty unwarranted, there's a few bad eggs who will legitimately make up shit to get clicks (Dobbo), but for the most part they're pretty well connected, and if they're all reporting something it's either true, or was true at some point in time.

Active Now

• Wendall Taylor
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Gray
  • Fozz
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Kev_Guz
  • NSW stables
  • porouian
  • LittleDavey
  • Jedhead
  • Sproj
  • barker
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.