Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wayne Bennett puts Brisbane’s underperforming stars on notice with epic spray

PETER BADEL, EXCLUSIVE, The Courier-Mail
July 4, 2018 6:42pm

WAYNE Bennett has put Broncos stars on notice after delivering one of the most savage sprays of his career in a bid to ignite their premiership campaign.

Brisbane players admit they are under no illusions that actions are stronger than words after a Bennett blast that has them steeled for Sunday’s derby against the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium.

Normally measured in his critiques, Bennett was so furious with Brisbane’s woeful first-half against Canberra, crashing to a 16-0 halftime deficit, that the super coach unloaded on his troops in the sheds.

Bennett declined to comment, but onlookers say the coach’s halftime address was his most withering assessment since his return to the club in 2015.

The verbal lashing cut to the core with Broncos players, who were so embarrassed by Bennett’s home truths they produced a stunning second-half fightback to overcome the Raiders 26-22.

After he left the room, livid with their attitude, Brisbane players were left to devise their own solution, with skipper Darius Boyd presiding over a meeting of minds to right the wrongs of a shocking first half.

After Saturday’s win, Brisbane’s players were reluctant to reveal too much of what Bennett said, but admitted they felt the heat from their mentor and knew the responsibility was on them to turn around their first half performance.

Hooker Andrew McCullough, who will be absent for the Broncos this week on Origin duty, said Bennett’s bake had hit home.

“It was nearly like when your parents aren’t talking to you,” he said after Saturday’s loss.
“When they don’t say too much, you know he’s more angry then.

“We got together and spoke about it (at halftime). In hindsight, it was a good win for us. We were down 16-0 against a side that can score plenty of points.”

Prop Matt Lodge said Bennett’s actions hit home more than his words.

“I don’t think he had to say too much,” Lodge said.

“We all knew ourselves we had to come out and put in a better effort than the first half.”

The Broncos will need to take their coach’s assessment into this Sunday’s clash with the Titans, after losing to their Queensland counterparts in Round 4 of this year.

It will be a massive test for the side, who will be without their Origin contingent in McCullough, Josh McGuire, James Roberts and Corey Oates.

Source: Courier Mail

Wonder if nikorima gets a spray every week?

"delivering one of the most savage sprays"
Get him in for a game lads to unleash next time a bunch of flogs kill us? @Nashy @Harry Sack

I'm sure Wayne even said he didnt say much in the press conference and I heard he barely even spoke to them from a player.

I'm sure Wayne was scathing of them but I doubt he was yelling and carrying on like a Bellamy would do. He probably told them they were rubbish then walked off. Being told you played like shit by Wayne Bennett would be enough to rev any team up, and they were.

I'm sure Wayne was scathing of them but I doubt he was yelling and carrying on like a Bellamy would do. He probably told them they were rubbish then walked off. Being told you played like shit by Wayne Bennett would be enough to rev any team up, and they were.

Take a look at the 1989 Panasonic Cup final scene of Bennett laying down the law, Bennett can be quite vocale and animated about his feelings when he wants to be.

Last edited:
Unleashed a massive spray, but then quotes players saying he didn't have to say much?

This guy is a flog.
That's exactly what I was thinking ! I mean wtf ? He managed to unload on, deliver a withering assessment, a verbal lashing, a Bennett blast, an epic spray, a savage spray and finally, a Bennett bake ! All with just a few words, **** that Wayne Bennett is a regular Wordsworth ! Yes fuckers, a Wordsworth.

Just because Bennett unleashed on them doesn’t mean he yelled at them. Most likely delivered a few choice words

That's exactly what I was thinking ! I mean wtf ? He managed to unload on, deliver a withering assessment, a verbal lashing, a Bennett blast, an epic spray, a savage spray and finally, a Bennett bake ! All with just a few words, **** that Wayne Bennett is a regular Wordsworth ! Yes fuckers, a Wordsworth.

This has been the first thing to make me involuntarily pee a little since a double compound rupture to my junk (# yall dont wanna know)

Just because Bennett unleashed on them doesn’t mean he yelled at them. Most likely delivered a few choice words
I agree ...

He probably said what we were all thinking ... "You were an embarrassment... complete rubbish" then walked out

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • bb_gun
  • davidp
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • porouian
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.