NEWS Wayne Bennett welcomes NRL crackdown

Now if they could address the tackled player playing the ball where they were tackled, that'd be great. Looking at you, Burgii.
They need to crack down on both simultaneously otherwise this new initiative will fail.

Now if they could address the tackled player playing the ball where they were tackled, that'd be great. Looking at you, Burgii.
If I could put a LIKE 50 metres high across the Storey Bridge for this post, I would. This is my biggest trigger while watching football, it enrages me when players end up getting penalised for offside, impeding, crowding and myriad other sins when the real problem was the cockhead walking, fighting, struggling 5/7 metres forward from the point where the cockhead was tackled. Cockheads

I don't think this is the case. The fact is whenever we try this 'legal' tactic we get pinged because it all plays into the narrative that the media has spun about us not being penalized and the refs buy it when the opposite is true.

What I believe Wayne is doing is being very public about the fact that we have always adhered to this standard so putting the refs on notice not to try any bullshit. We get pinged quicker for lying in the ruck than any other team, even though we don't lie in it. I think he is trying to say that if you are shortening the length allowed you better not be shortening our current method, because we can't get any shorter.

While I agree with refs pinging us as likely, refs will only penalise so much against one team and aside from sin bins penalties especially in the 20 have not been much of a worry. Even up penalties later are frequently in more valuable position. Problem is by being quick most of the time the odd time we are slow it looks bad by comparison and gives the ref an excuse.

A few rounds of getting off slow with Storm style tactics and no one will notice or they will cry murder and we present evidence of other teams doing the same. If they penalise us out of a game then we take control of the media narrative for once and put NRL into line.

I like putting refs on notice but need to be a lot less thinly veiled with these thick headed f***s.

As for people saying want to see team play properly. Lying in tackles and wrestling is the key to defence now. I don’t like it but it has been inseparable from Rugby League in NRL. If your priority is to take the high road rather the team focus on actual good examples to the kids watching like respectful but firm negotiation with refs rather than whinging, McGuire being less of a grub and not punching on. Otherwise play fair but also play the whistle.

While I agree with refs pinging us as likely, refs will only penalise so much against one team and aside from sin bins penalties especially in the 20 have not been much of a worry. Even up penalties later are frequently in more valuable position. Problem is by being quick most of the time the odd time we are slow it looks bad by comparison and gives the ref an excuse.

A few rounds of getting off slow with Storm style tactics and no one will notice or they will cry murder and we present evidence of other teams doing the same. If they penalise us out of a game then we take control of the media narrative for once and put NRL into line.

I like putting refs on notice but need to be a lot less thinly veiled with these thick headed f***s.

As for people saying want to see team play properly. Lying in tackles and wrestling is the key to defence now. I don’t like it but it has been inseparable from Rugby League in NRL. If your priority is to take the high road rather the team focus on actual good examples to the kids watching like respectful but firm negotiation with refs rather than whinging, McGuire being less of a grub and not punching on. Otherwise play fair but also play the whistle.

The thing for me is, we still have room to improve from where we are at the moment in regards to winning the ruck.
It’s all well and good to say we give away the quickest play the balls in the competition to play “correctly” but there’s still plenty we can do to slow the ptb and still be within the rules even with this crackdown.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.