'We've got the talent to take title'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
DARIUS Boyd has spoken of his burning desire to captain the Broncos to a premiership as he tries to return from injury.

Boyd’s streak of 28 consecutive Origin appearances for Queensland ended on Wednesday night when he sat out the Suncorp Stadium decider with a broken thumb.

The 29-year-old will miss Saturday’s clash with the Knights in Newcastle but is hopeful of returning for the following Thursday’s home game against Canterbury.

Boyd has been in sensational form for Brisbane in his first season as skipper, helping the Broncos to fifth spot on the ladder at the end of the gruelling State of Origin period.

He has embraced the responsibility of captaining the NRL’s glamour club and said it was driving him to snap Brisbane’s 10-year title drought.

“I’m never really satisfied,” he said.

“That’s the hard thing. I’m a perfectionist and there’s always something more I strive to do.

“At the Broncos, I would love to captain the team to a premiership. We haven’t won a premiership for a decade now and I feel as a club it’s time we achieved that and we certainly have the talent to do it this season.

“Winning another premiership is what keeps motivating me.”

Boyd’s form to begin the season was so good he retained the Kangaroos and Maroons fullback duties ahead of Billy Slater.

Slater was eventually recalled for Game Two of the Origin series and Boyd showed his versatility by making a successful shift to left centre.

It was during that game three weeks ago that he shattered his thumb, requiring surgery and ruling him out for a month.

Now a 260-game NRL veteran, Boyd admitted it was difficult to watch the Broncos play without him but the injury could be a blessing in disguise for Brisbane’s run to the finals.

“This time of the year is always hard,” Boyd said.

“You’re always looking for a rest. I’ve got a rest but not in the way I really wanted it.

“It’s hard being captain and not being there. It makes it easier for me when the boys play well and get a win.

“If you have a couple of losses you feel even worse.

“We didn’t do too well this time last year around Origin. To be the captain and see the boys playing well without you makes it a lot easier.”

With Boyd and Anthony Milford (shoulder) to return from injuries, the Broncos are well positioned heading into the business end of the season.

A top-four finish has proved crucial in terms of winning the grand final and the Broncos are a more experienced team than that which made it to the 2015 decider against North Queensland.

Justin Hodges and Corey Parker are no longer there but halves Ben Hunt and Milford have two more seasons under their belts. Hooker Andrew McCullough is one of the NRL’s most consistent No. 9s.

Lock Josh McGuire has filled Parker’s shoes admirably and young forwards Tevita Pangai Jr, Joe Ofahengaue and Jai Arrow are showing improvement.

James “The Jet” Roberts is the X-factor out wide the Broncos have lacked in recent years and the ingredients are there for Brisbane to go deep in September.

“I don’t know if we’re better placed (than 2015), but experience-wise and depth-wise we are in a good spot,” Boyd said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/db3cb58772abfed41ea7a7db73582bca

Sadly it's Melbourne's to lose. They never ever seem to get an injury crisis either. We need Cronulla or someone else with a decent win rate against them to knock them out in the prelim for us.

This might also be Melbourne's last chance for a title with Cronk quitting. Might take a couple of years to re-open the premiership window for them after that. They'll probably be a 4th-6th team then.

I actually think we are a better shot next year, if we are allowed to win that is....(Cowscum/Thurston wankfest is gonna be bad).

All you need to do is show up on the day and hope the refs aren't riding a team like they did with Souths in 2014, or the square ups we copped in the second half of the 2015 gf. The only team from recent memory that I thought was unbeatable was the 2013 rorters, but that was just an example of the cap failing.

If everyone plays to their ability, I rate our boys better on pure talent across the board than Melbourne.

Edit: seriously, that roosters 2013 squad was just pathetic. I could count their juniors on one hand (they had to bid enough to bring talented jrs to their club, so the excuse that they brought them into fg doesn't work in my books), they had sbw, Maloney, etc...

Agree this years Melbourne's to lose but has happened before i.e 2006. Bonuses this year are few burnt out origin players. Gillo and McGuire need a rest. Even the Duracell bunny needs its battery changed eventually. Hopefully the injured guys will come out fresh and hungry. Big issue is halfback. Might be best for Benji and Milford? Hunt as super sub and KNik halfback at QCup to give him a shot at next year. If that's not working in next 3 games and KNik is firing then KNik to halfback and either Benji or hunt out. Don't see the point in hunt at halfback been there failed that.

Agree this years Melbourne's to lose but has happened before i.e 2006. Bonuses this year are few burnt out origin players. Gillo and McGuire need a rest. Even the Duracell bunny needs its battery changed eventually. Hopefully the injured guys will come out fresh and hungry. Big issue is halfback. Might be best for Benji and Milford? Hunt as super sub and KNik halfback at QCup to give him a shot at next year. If that's not working in next 3 games and KNik is firing then KNik to halfback and either Benji or hunt out. Don't see the point in hunt at halfback been there failed that.
I'm warming to the idea of Benji starting over Hunt. I think origin has shown the kind of role a utility will be playing moving forward (Morgan more so than Hunt).

Given concussion can rule any player out at any moment I think the days of carrying hooker as your utility are numbered and if you can have a guy who can play just about anywhere on the park sitting on your bench then you can use them pretty effectively during the game ala Morgan, Bird, Connor Watson, etc.

Benny Hunt could warm into that role his defence is good enough to be in the middle and would give us 3 playmakers on the field at the same time. I don't like the thought of Knik or Benji defending in the middle though.

If a back line player goes down we're probably a little short or you move Benji to fill in and hunt to halves

I'm warming to the idea of Benji starting over Hunt. I think origin has shown the kind of role a utility will be playing moving forward (Morgan more so than Hunt).

Given concussion can rule any player out at any moment I think the days of carrying hooker as your utility are numbered and if you can have a guy who can play just about anywhere on the park sitting on your bench then you can use them pretty effectively during the game ala Morgan, Bird, Connor Watson, etc.

Benny Hunt could warm into that role his defence is good enough to be in the middle and would give us 3 playmakers on the field at the same time. I don't like the thought of Knik or Benji defending in the middle though.

If a back line player goes down we're probably a little short or you move Benji to fill in and hunt to halves

Wouldn't it make more sense to have Benji as the utility then?

He can play just about anywhere in the backline, whereas Hunt can't.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have Benji as the utility then?

He can play just about anywhere in the backline, whereas Hunt can't.
I'm thinking of the utility being able to play a role when there isn't an injury. Similar to how Morgan comes on for qld as a lock.

It provides huge flexibility to have a third playmaker in the middle that can also handle the defensive requirements. Imagine being able to have 3 halves and a creative hooker on the field without taking a significant hit to your defense. To me that is the future of the bench utility.

I don't think Benji or Knik can handle the defensive requirements without being a liability.

This will probably yet another interview where a Bronco talks about winning the comp, or changing attitude, or [insert action here] and it never eventuate. They seem to focus more on talking about what they want to do, rather than doing it.

I think we certainly have the players to win the title (as we did last year) but just have been so inconsistent, we just don't seem to have every player performing at or close to their best each week.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Brotherdu
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • HVbronco
  • Allo
  • RolledOates
  • Santa
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • teampjta
  • Manofoneway
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.