What's the point of "the greatest cup never run?"

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Don't usually post here and don't follow the horses much, but i've seen this "greatest cup never run" simulation and I have to ask WTF is the point?

I don't admit to knowing a shitload about racing, but, was there ever really any doubt that Phar Lap was going to win? He's the most romanticized horse in Australian history, and considering it was at a time when the world was pretty shit with the depression and the after effects of ww1, I ask again, was there any point to this scenario? It is bleedingly obvious that Phar Lap was always going to be crowned winner, even though he's not Australia's most successful horse (huge leap of faith, I don't know how much he's won but I didn't think he won 3 MC's like the Diva, for one?).

So, racing experts/enthusiasts, please try and explain to cynical me, the purpose of this? It just seems like a bunch of cliched shit.

I too didn't see the point of it, and to make it worse the graphics were complete shite.

Because people who are fans of something like to imagine the what if's...

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but it's hardly a what if, blind freddy knew the outcome.

seriously, no one else was gonna shatter the romance.

I was at Flemington on Tuesday and it created a great atmosphere. Punters have always imagined what it would be like to have the likes of Phar Lap, Carbine, Rain Lover and Peter Pan on the track and it almost felt like they were there. The crowd was cheering them home as if it was a real race and gave a big cheer when Phar Lap run.

Whether or not it was obvious that Phar Lap wouldve won is irrelevant. I thought it was a fantastic promotion and great to hear those big names called on the same race.

Again, it seems kinda pointless to me but I don't know or can relate to the culture so I guess whatever works for you lads. icon_thumbs_u

Also, to the racing enthusiast, I wouldn't say it was always obvious that Phar Lap was going to win. It was a simulation under a Melbourne Cup scenario, and he was carrying 60kg from barrier 21. He is the greatest horse in Australian racing history, but history shows he has only won 1 Melbourne Cup, a feat that Makybe Diva, Archer, Rain Lover, Peter Pan and Think Big have all surpassed. He was far from a sure thing considering Makybe is the modern day flavour.

The race just created a great sense of "how good would that be" on the track, seeing 24 absolute champions racing together.

I know I am biased but considering just how good his run was last year, I am a bit bummed Shocking didn't make the final 24.

It wasn't just judged on Melbourne Cup performances Brizz. It was based on the horses ability overall. The horses in that field are multiple group 1 winners (some of them multiple Melbourne Cup winners) and the reality is Shocking is only a sole group 1 winner for the moment.

The Brizz said:
I know I am biased but considering just how good his run was last year, I am a bit bummed Shocking didn't make the final 24.

Just a bit biased? Shocking ran a great race last year to win but really any horse that can sit 3 deep and cop a torrid run over 3200m hasn't beaten much, just my opinion and the reason why I couldn't come into Shocking this year carrying 57 against a far superior field..

Here is the finishing order from last year, apart from a couple that had excusues what a bunch of hayburners.

1.SHOCKING
2. Crime Scene
3. Mourilyan
4. Master O'Reilly
5. Harris Tweed
6. Alcopop
7. Viewed
8. C'est La Guerre
9. Kibbutz
10. Newport
11. Daffodil
12. Munsef
13. Gallions Reach
14. Leica Ding
15. Ista Kareem
16. Allez Wonder
17. Capecover
18. Basaltico
19. Zavite
20. Spin Around
21. Roman Emperor
22. Fiumicino
23. Warringah

did any of my faves make it? Doreimus, Lets Elope, Media Puzzle & Delta Blues?

Doriemus was in there Penny. Second last.

Banners, The Big O never won a Melbourne Cup.

If this was one judged on individual performances, Kiwi and Might and Power wouldve run the quinella.

Jeba said:

If this was one judged on individual performances, Kiwi and Might and Power wouldve run the quinella.

Really? Wouldn't that have meant Doriemus would have come third given it lost by a bee's dick to Might and Power?

Maybe if they had the Greatest Caulfield Cup never run Might and Power would have won that as it smashed 'em that year

Doreimus 2nd last?? boooo it should have run a place at least! it almost won 2 melb cups!!!

Meat77 said:
Jeba said:

Really? Wouldn't that have meant Doriemus would have come third given it lost by a bee's dick to Might and Power?

Maybe if they had the Greatest Caulfield Cup never run Might and Power would have won that as it smashed 'em that year

Might and Power led all the way to win the Melbourne Cup. That is an enormous achievement which we will never see again in our lifetime. Even though he only just won, his performance was 10 times that of Doriemus.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • leon.bott
  • HVbronco
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mark H
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.