What's up with Henjak picking 2 backs on the bench???

M

mArKuS

BRL Player
Mar 23, 2008
We're giving away tries in the back end of the 1st half. I wonder why. Is Michaelas going to play front row!!!??? How many other teams in the comp play with 2 backs on the bench??? Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

We have an average forward pack and yet he persists with 2 backs and a backrower wtf!
We have 3 very good backrowers all who can play 80 minutes and backs shouldn't be on the bench anyway unless they're a utility.
We should have at least 2 props on the bench with one utility and a backrower, not 2 backs, 1 backrower + 1 prop. That's just ridiculous, it might work if Civo and Hannant were the starting props but not with our current forward pack.

It's just very disappointing to see the Broncs lose especially those very winable games. I know we've got injuries but I can't say I agree with the players Henjek is picking wk in and wk out. He finally get rid of Beale from the bench but what does he do? Replace him with another ordinary back. I can't see Henjek being a longterm coach if he can't get the team out of this hole. I can't see that happening anytime soon if he persisting with his stupid selections.

I think it's stupid but maybe in some crazy way, Norman will come into hooker or the halves, te'o will go to the back row with Glenn, Michaels to centre. I really don't know what Henjak is thinking, but hey if something is broken why fix it? haha we can stick with a losing combination. But losing a brilliant defender like Beale and putting in the worlds best defending outside back in Steve Michaels you aren't losing at all both can come on and do bugger all in attack and let in a couple of tries. Henjak has to push for coach of the yr this yr he is just brilliant! The type of ideas he keeps coming up with you can just tell he is a coaching immortal. The next Jack Gibson or Wayne Bennett for sure.

I've never ever been a fan of 2 backs on the bench let alone an outside back on the bench...

sheesh.

I dont understand IH's style just yet... and I know a lot of coaches use smokescreens and spin heaps of crap but all he EVER says is "We have to keep working hard" etc... he never seems to pin point anything and he's been saying the same thing since he started.... the jury is still out on IH... I say give coaches 3 yaers to coach... if you can't see a vision for the 4th season then...

He's lost the plot.

Honestly, we have 2 very versatile back rowers in Glenn and Te'o. If one of our outside backs suffers injury, one of those two can play in the backline. You don't need to pick even 1 outside back on the bench FFS. And particularly, when the outside back that continues to be chosen isn't even any good!!!!!!

IMO the bench should be simple - pick Glenn, pick 2 props (Dodds/Anderson/Sims), pick 1 prop/backrower (Setu/Lui). Of course this is based on the team being full strength which we are not this week, but you still don't pick outside backs on the bench. It's ridiculous.

What's most frustrating is that despite these stupid selections, he still couldn't find a bench spot for Tim Smith in the opening weeks [icon_thumbs_do

Hahah, yeah that's true. He's gone insane in the membrane.

My team would be
1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Hodges
4. Renouf
5. Tiquri
6. Lewis
7. Langer
8. Wecke
9. Walters
10. Lazzarus
11. Tallis
12. Myles
13. Carrol
14. Civo
15. Thaiday
16. Thorn
17. Who ever they wanted because with this team we would win.

i think hes picking 2 backs on the bench because seriously, every game we have 1-2 backs go off injured for most of the match. hes just expecting the trend to continue.

I can see what you're saying Stu but what you and Ivan need to realise is that Glenn and Teo can play in the outside backs if any do get injured so there's no need for that extra cover.

Donny said:
My team would be
1. Lockyer
2. Sailor
3. Hodges
4. Renouf
5. Tiquri
6. Lewis
7. Langer
8. Wecke
9. Walters
10. Lazzarus
11. Tallis
12. Myles
13. Carrol
14. Civo
15. Thaiday
16. Thorn
17. Who ever they wanted because with this team we would win.

17. Plath

Re:

Jeba said:
I can see what you're saying Stu but what you and Ivan need to realise is that Glenn and Teo can play in the outside backs if any do get injured so there's no need for that extra cover.

I suspect Stu was being sarcastic.

I don't agree with what Henjak is doing, however I can easily see why he is. Everyone has different game plans and it's easy to say that Henjak has a different one to most, if not all of us.

Te'o/Glenn/Gillett are the forwards that he has been playing in the centres and they are all respectively better players than Michaels/Beale. Since we have a really good back row in Thaiday, Parker and who ever out of Te'o, Glenn and GIllett aren't playing in the centres, who can all play 80 mins or close to, Henjak is trying to get them all the most game time as possible. Backrow is obviously Te'o/Glenn/Gillett's best position so he bring a speedy back off the bench to go into the centres to move Te'o/Glenn/Gillett into the backrow to give on of the back rowers a rest. Also Te'o has said that he doesn't feel comfortable spending 80minutes in the centres.

Also last week Henjak had 3 backs named on a 5 man bench, to surprise us with Tronc coming onto it which dropped one of them off. It is rumored that Kenny could be returning this week, so he could come on for one of them. Hopefully Michaels...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of this game plan, but I can see why he is doing it.

As for the second back on the bench, it is quite straight forward. Would you rather us play Glenn at hooker for 80 minutes?

Re: Re:

Coxy said:
Jeba said:

bingo.

i think its a stupid move, but hey, hes carrying on the broncos coaches legacy in that regard.

Re: Re:

Anonymous person said:
Coxy said:
Jeba said:

bingo.

Fair enough. Sorry about that.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.