Where has all the money gone?

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I think it’s about time we, as fans, ask the question, where has all the money gone?
I look around our team at the moment and wonder where the $4+ million dollars is being spent. Ok, we have Lockyer, Hodges, Falou, Thiaday, Parker and Wallace on where you would expect the majority of the big money goes. Last year we lost Hunt (on plenty), Taylor and Clinton (who was on what, $250k?) and this year already PJ Marsh (again, I think around $200-250k) the rest of the team is pretty much made up of fringe first graders and kids. So where is all the money? Surely we should be awash with spare cash left under the cap, yet no talk of a spending spree? Either we are doing a South’s, paying a player more than he is worth or trying to get a greater return for our shareholders, I’m just not seeing it, can anyone help?
[icon_shru

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I actually think there has been talk of a spending spree, for next season.

It's an interesting question though. No matter how much potential the youngsters have showed, they can't be taking up that much of the cap.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Who said our cap is full? Cap space was not the reason Bruno said no to Hannant was it?

if im correct there has been no talk of the cap being full.

Hunt leaving would have cleaned up alot of space in the cap now. Just because we havent said "we are in talks with this player" to everyone that is mentioned does not mean the cap is full.

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Not suggesting that the cap is full, if not, then why were we not more active in the market the end of last year? Plenty of props looking for new clubs...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There is not point spending money for the sake of it. i don't actually think that there were any real quality props on the market last year. i read that the reason we have withdrawn from the race to sign Hannant was his asking price, not having no room under the cap.

BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Burg said:
Not suggesting that the cap is full, if not, then why were we not more active in the market the end of last year? Plenty of props looking for new clubs...

Which Prop/s would of you signed Burg?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Burg said:

Any props that were worth big coin??

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I would not be suprised if Brisbane could out of nowhere sign Thurston. thats how much cap space i think we have.

Would have been about half a million sitting there for Hunt..

Marsh's money > Kemp
Clintons money > Anderson

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
draggx said:
I would not be suprised if Brisbane could out of nowhere sign Thurston. thats how much cap space i think we have.

Marsh's money > Kemp

LOL that would be GOLD.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
lol we wont sign him but i think we should have enough in the cap to be able to if Bruno/Ivan decided they wanted him

J

joshobro

NYC Player
Jun 22, 2009
draggx said:

Marsh's money > Kemp

Marsh was apparently on 250 no way Kemp would even come close to that in salary. And Clinton was a nice waste of 275k, Anderson would not be close to that as well.

Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
it wouldn't surprise me if the broncos are using this year to look at which young players step up to the NRL to offer upgraded contracts to in the future, and which ones we can let go in favour of one or two more top shelf players.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
lockyer47 said:
draggx said:

Marsh's money > Kemp

LOL that would be GOLD.

I really don't think that is out of the question. Just a hunch I have.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah. Free up 500k a season (or more) for Thurston and he's yours.

He WILL sign with the Knights. I'm sure of it.

Try and pick up some decent players to fill your roster as opposed to spending huge on one player.

H

Hatchy

NRL Player
Mar 25, 2008
The problem is that theres no quality props/forwards worth buying on the market at the moment, apart from Tronc. Anyone know of any others?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hatchy said:
The problem is that theres no quality props/forwards worth buying on the market at the moment, apart from Tronc. Anyone know of any others?

Hannant?

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Foordy said:
There is not point spending money for the sake of it. i don't actually think that there were any real quality props on the market last year. i read that the reason we have withdrawn from the race to sign Hannant was his asking price, not having no room under the cap.

I agree with Foordy, rather than no money, I just don't think that there was the quality of player that they were looking for. Anderson was a good pick up, a 23 year old forward. We also bought Rohan Ahern who we have not had a chance to get a look at because he suffered a season ending injury in the trials. I would hope that there is some cash there waiting for the right players (read props) that come on the market.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Burg - I'm not sure I agree with your comment about hoarding the cash for shareholders. I thought the NRL doesn't pay the money out if you don't spend the cap?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • HVbronco
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • bazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.