Who are the best and worst ex player commentators?

• Thread starter Blindside Bronco
  • Start date
Blindside Bronco

Blindside Bronco

Broncos Fanboy
Oct 17, 2019
Best- Greg Alexander Worst- Michael Ennis

Best - Michael Ennis, Worst - Braith Anasta.

Best - Sterlo ... Worst - Soo many bad ones... but probably Braith

Blocker not far behind... Has Gordie ever commentated (if he has I haven't heard him but I'd still have him as the worst... just because)

Last edited:
The best - Sterling, Gould (when he doesn’t ramble on), Fatty (same as Gould), Johns (when he is breaking down plays).

The worst - Nable, Roach, Brandy, Locky, Ennis, Gasnier, Braith, Parker.

I’m sure there will be more in the worst list when I can think of them.

Anasta is deadset the worst ever, totally out of his depth.

Sterlo goes ok.

Sterling is definitely the best. Gus can be the best when he's having his good moments, but they are becoming fewer in numbers. Johns can be amazing when analysing plays and not talking about how thick players legs are. Fittler can be fun when he's having a good time. Same with Fatty.

The rest are all terrible. I've got to give a shout out to Lockyer though, my favourite player ever and one of the worst commentators at the same time.

Last edited:
Commentator (as opposed to caller) Warren Ryan
Blocker & Gaznier purely base on their bias

Last edited:
Sterling is definitely the best. Gus can be the best when he's having his good moments, but they are becoming fewer in numbers. Johns can be amazing when analysing plays and not talking about how thick players legs are. Fittler can be fun when he's having a good time. Same with Fatty.

The rest are all terrible. I've got to give a shout out to Lockyer though, my favourite player ever and one of the worst commentators at the same time.
Would agree with this summation.

Ennis tries too hard, if he could just call it naturally he might be ok but he forces it.

Best- Sterlo, just a shame he’s on nine

Worst- Alexander, the old flog has no fucking idea most of the time

Best - Sterlo / Ennis
Worst - Parker / Hodges / Gallen / Anaista

I like Fatty, Ennis and Sterlo.
The only one I can’t stand is Gus

The most recent generation of ex players are pretty poor across the board. Then you go back to the likes of Alexander and it still isn't great. Brandy at times appears to know less about the players and the clubs than many fans out there.

I'd say Sterling and Voss are the only two really 'great' commentators left, not counting Rabs who was obviously amazing but is justifiably winding down the clock now.

Last edited:
Best - Sterlo
worst - the rest of them

My problem with Dan Ginnane is his voice just isn't the right note for calling footy.
Listening to Dan call is not far removed from fingernails down the blackboard.
I hear his call, and I think of Rabs, and a little piece of me dies inside.
OK an exaggeration, but you get the point :)

Best: Dan Ginnane
Worst: Everyone else

Active Now

• Dash
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Bish
  • Griffo
  • MrMoore
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.