Who will be our Captain in 2016?

Only thing working against Macca is that we'll continue to use Kodi so unless he stays on at Lock we won't have our captain on the field. But the captaincy might just be what Macca needs to get him going and give us an actual quality attacking option at hooker and hopefully not just more dummies from 5 out

But not fussed either way tbh

This is the peak of what McCullough can do in attack, he isn't getting any better now. Just have to accept that he's 95% just there for his defence.

950140-andrew-mccullough.jpg

Does the captain have to be an 80 minute player?

When you have the likes of Parker, Thaiday, Blair etc who are all leaders on and off the field.. Does it really matter?

Last edited:
Of the longer term options Hunt and Macca appear to have the most leadership qualities ... so in that case it is Hunt every day of the week for me.

I fear giving Macca to much security in the NRL side ... some of his best ever footy was played during the time we were rumored to be chasing Cam Smith, then once Smith re-signed with the Storm, his form dropped a notch.

Hunt has shown tremendous loyalty to the club, when others would have ran... and i think he would make an excellent captain for us going forward.

Of the longer term options Hunt and Macca appear to have the most leadership qualities ... so in that case it is Hunt every day of the week for me.

I fear giving Macca to much security in the NRL side ... some of his best ever footy was played during the time we were rumored to be chasing Cam Smith, then once Smith re-signed with the Storm, his form dropped a notch.

Hunt has shown tremendous loyalty to the club, when others would have ran... and i think he would make an excellent captain for us going forward.
So true. But don't you think Macca already has so much security? Like, he's an automatic selection every single week, held off competition from Jake Granville and Matt Parcell, he's in the leadership group, seems like that number 9 jersey is his until he retires, and one of the first players WB resigned when he came back. Maybe giving the captaincy to him might inspire him to go up to another gear? IIRC he played really well/stepped up when he captained us in that Knights game.

Same thing happened to Thaiday. Wayne fixed it.

Immediately after the game on Sunday night I said Ben Hunt probably shouldn't get it straight away given the outcome, just to avoid adding that extra pressure to the situation. But having thought about it now I think the club showing faith in him and giving him the captaincy would be a great move, and help him to build his confidence back up. I think he's deserving and the logical choice.

When I sat back and considered Hunt as the best option, this was the same conclusion I came to. Giving him the captaincy is a gamble, but if it pays off for us, it will give Hunt the tools he needs to pick himself up off the mat and get us to where we need to be.

Honestly though, I think it is much more likely that Parker will get it.

Think about how Hunt has stayed at the club even though he wasn't getting a go and he was getting better offers. He is a Broncos and is born to captain. The poorly timed dropped kick off in the GF doesn't come into play. We know he will bounce back. Hunt has been leading on field for the past 2 seasons. Now it's time for him to lead off the field too.

For mine, it's hunt long term, but I do have concerns about too much pressure too quickly

My preference would be give it to Parker for 2016 and possibly 2017 with Hunt as VC

Then Hunt takes over

I vote for Darius Boyd. He's a bit further along than Hunt in terms of experience with Origin, Tests, Grand Finals etc.

That being said I wouldn't mind if Ben Hunt got the nod.

I don't want McCullough. How many premiership winning captains can you think of in the last 20 years were forwards? How many of them didn't play for 80 minutes? They're few and far between. I don't think forwards make good captains, tbh. Their job is tough enough. He's had a great season but I couldn't back him just for that.

I vote for Darius Boyd. He's a bit further along than Hunt in terms of experience with Origin, Tests, Grand Finals etc.

That being said I wouldn't mind if Ben Hunt got the nod.

I don't want McCullough. How many premiership winning captains can you think of in the last 20 years were forwards? How many of them didn't play for 80 minutes? They're few and far between. I don't think forwards make good captains, tbh. Their job is tough enough. He's had a great season but I couldn't back him just for that.

Matt Scott (co-captain, if you count that), Cameron Smith, Andrew Ryan, Glenn Lazarus, Paul Harragon.

List is bigger if you go back further than that.. Forwards as captains were quite common, quite a few of them successful..

But yeah, Ben Hunt should get it.

Last edited:
Bennett has said he has made his decision on the new caotain. But won't reveal it before March ... so he can observe his choice over the pre-season, and ensure he has made the right choice.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/6a38e5d8c21051d1eaa949d7d737c6bf

WAYNE Bennett knows who will be the Broncos captain this season but he is determined to keep it a secret.

Bennett revealed yesterday morning he has made a decision on the captain but would not reveal the man to replace the retired Justin Hodges.

The front-runners for the captaincy have been the Hodges-endorsed Darius Boyd and halfback Ben Hunt as younger options to steer the club for several years while Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker would be veteran options for a two year stint.

When asked if he had chosen the new captain, a typically stone-faced Bennett said “Yeah I have”.

Asked if he could reveal who it was, he replied with a grin and said, “No, I can’t”.

“I just want to watch what they do and make sure I am making the right decision,” Bennett elaborated.

“There is no media hurry for it.

“We are not playing anybody. March would be about the time.

“It’s the same time frame I did it last year.”

Bennett however did reveal that new Maroons coach Kevin Walters would not be replaced.

Walters was Brisbane’s attack coach last season, working heavily with halves Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford.

Stephen Kearney will be Brisbane’s lone assistant this season with under-20’s coach Craig Hodges and elite development coach Kurt Richards to assist where required.

“We thought about that (assistant) but we won’t at this point in time,” said Bennett on a potential Walters replacement.

“We will get on with the job with Steve and myself.

“We are pleased for Kevvie. We are elated for him.

“He will be around (the Broncos) a little bit but he won’t be part of the staff.”

The Broncos’ full squad, minus Boyd who was returning from holiday in Bali, ran together at the University of Queensland yesterday morning.

There are several new faces in the squad, including a number of under-20’s players who have been given the opportunity to train with the NRL team such as George Fai, Jai Arrow and Keegan Hipgrave.

The North Queensland Cowboys also returned to training yesterday while the Titans have their first official session today.

The Broncos and Cowboys square off in a trial match on February 6 in Bundaberg which coincides with the NRL Auckland Nines and is followed by the NRL Indigenous All Stars versus World All Stars on February 13 and the World Club Series which kicks off on February 22.

After coaching the All Stars, Bennett will have to catch a 2am flight for England to prepare the Broncos for the World Club Series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.