Who will be our Captain in 2016?

i believe Parker should be the co-captain with either hunt or McCullough so that in parkers last year he can teach them some of his captain skills and develop them as future leaders and captains

i believe Parker should be the co-captain with either hunt or McCullough so that in parkers last year he can teach them some of his captain skills and develop them as future leaders and captains

Wayne hates co captains. That was the first thing he scrapped when he came back. Hunt/mccullough can still learn from him without having a tittle added beside their name on the roster.

First thing Bennett did when he came back last year was scrap the co-captain system . He doesn't like it .At first I thought Hunt or Boyd . But the more I think about it , the more sense Parker makes .

I'd be surprised if it was Parker/Thaiday tbh, I think I read somewhere that Bennett doesn't want another stopgap captain, so that would seemingly rule out the aforementioned two as they're not going to be around the next 5 seasons (if true).

I'd be surprised if it was Parker/Thaiday tbh, I think I read somewhere that Bennett doesn't want another stopgap captain, so that would seemingly rule out the aforementioned two as they're not going to be around the next 5 seasons (if true).

I thought the same. I wonder if Parker is being given the captaincy as a "thank you, this is your last season" like he did with Hodges. I know Hodgo was breaking down (and it was technically his own decision) and Parker is still getting better, but I just have this feeling...

Hodges wasn't given the captaincy as a "thank you, you're off" type situation. He got it because he was the right man to lead a talanted young squad and because he would do whatever it took to win. Even before he was captain he was a leader within the team and especially a mentor to the younger guys.
I'm not sure that Parker has all of that. He has done everything in the game (for reals, not Hayne-style) but I'm not sure how much of a leader he is in the sense of bringing others along with him.
If he's the right man for the job he'd make a great transitional captain, but if he doesn't have all the right qualities I don't think Benny would give him the captaincy just to usher him out the door nicely.
Caveat: I don't know any of the players or their personalities or what Wayne thinks so this post is probably a load of rubbish.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if McCullough is named captain. I really hope that speed work he did in the off-season worked.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...92698a814c034eafe6cfc138c09d9?from=public_rss

COREY Parker has emerged as the frontrunner for the Broncos captaincy, almost a year after losing the job.

The lock was the club’s co-captain with Justin Hodges for a year in 2014 before coach Wayne Bennett gave the sole responsibility to now-retired Hodges last season.

After endorsements from the likes of Darius Boyd, Parker says he has been clear in his desire for a second shot at leading the club.

“Brisbane is a place I love and cherish,’’ Parker said. “To be able to captain the guys, that would be great.

“It’s nice to have the backing from your teammates. (But) they don’t make the decisions so we’ll see what happens.”

Bennett said at the start of this month he already had his man picked and would be testing him, but Parker said there were no obvious signs.

“It’s obviously the hot topic because he hasn’t named one but I’m sure, true to form for Wayne, he’ll announce it when he is ready.’’

SAM Thaiday wants to captain the Broncos again but Wayne Bennett is keeping the entire team in the dark, refusing to even hint at who his preferred leader is.

Thaiday will be included in Brisbane’s NRL Nines team and told The Courier-Mail that he is captaining the side.

That honour would position him as a strong contender for the role that was taken from him at the start of 2014.

Thaiday inherited the captaincy from Darren Lockyer for the 2012 season and said during his two-year reign that the role was “drowning” him.

Anthony Griffin convinced Thaiday he was better without the responsibility at the start of the 2014 season and Corey Parker and Justin Hodges became co-captains.

Fast forward to 2016 and Thaiday feels he is ready to lead Brisbane again.

Parker and Ben Hunt are now the only rivals to Thaiday reclaiming the position, after Darius Boyd declared he didn’t want it.

Bennett knows who he wants to be captain but has not told any of the players.

Thaiday said he couldn’t even tell who Bennett’s preference was.

“I am captain for the Auckland Nines team but that’s all I know,” Thaiday told The Courier-Mail.

“Wayne hasn’t spoken to anyone yet about that to my knowledge.

“We will probably all find out the week before round one.

“It is a fantastic role and honour being captain but if I don’t get it I’m not going to cry over spilt milk.

“If I do receive the call-up I would be more than honoured and very happy.

“I am not seeing Wayne favour anyone at the moment. He’s trying to push all of us as hard as he can.

“No one know what Wayne is thinking.”

Thaiday was speaking from western Queensland during a Broncos tour of the region’s schools as part of an education series in conjunction with sponsor Arrow Energy.

Thaiday was asked by the children repeatedly about the Mitchell Pearce scandal, a sharp reminder of how perceptive children are to their hero’s errors.

“You always get a few curly ones. You just try to deal with those questions as best you can,” Thaiday said.

“Kids go through so much within school these days, in terms of bullying and if we can talk to them about mental well-being and trying to find something that makes you happy it will hopefully help.”

The Broncos will take a forward-heavy team to the Nines this weekend with Alex Glenn and Adam Blair already confirmed.

“Me and Blairy have been coming up with some trick plays so it should be fun,” Thaiday said.

Source: Courier Mail. Forgot to get the link.

Rather than talk up his own chances, Brisbane's Auckland Nines skipper Sam Thaiday is backing Darius Boyd or Andrew McCullough to be named Broncos captain for the NRL season proper.

Thaiday agrees he'd be a better leader under Wayne Bennett after relinquishing the reins in 2014 with Anthony Griffin at the helm.

But the 30-year-old isn't reading too much into his Nines honour, saying Bennett should adopt a youth policy when considering his next skipper.

Bennett revealed last month he knew who would replace retired great Justin Hodges as his captain in 2016 - he just wasn't telling anyone else.

The wily coach said he wouldn't make an official announcement until March "at the earliest".

However, he appears to have provide an insight by naming Thaiday captain of a Nines squad featuring other standout candidates in Boyd, McCullough, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair.

Former co-captain Corey Parker is the only obvious candidate not picked for the Nines.

But Thaiday says his appointment isn't really significant.

Asked who should be the next Broncos skipper on Tuesday, he said: "I think it should be a younger guy who is going to be around our club for a long period of time, maybe a Darius Boyd or an Andrew McCullough.

"Both those guys are maturing as men and settling down in their lives, it is only going to help their footy careers.

"And they are players who can lead - Darius with his (on-field) talk and Andrew with his actions."

Still, Thaiday said he wouldn't knock back the honour if it was offered by Bennett.

He took over the captaincy from legend Darren Lockyer in 2012 and admits he felt he was "drowning" in the role before finally relinquishing the reins two years later under Griffin.

Thaiday said felt he would thrive in the role with Bennett by his side but was not holding his breath.

"If it comes my way I will be more than happy to take the role and responsibility," he said.

"You can't say no to Wayne.

"Having Wayne as head coach will certainly give me more support.

"But we will see what happens."

Thaiday baulks at Broncos captaincy | SBS News

It seems Hook really struggled in numerous areas off the field.

So Thaiday is captain of the 9s team but who is captain of the team playing the trial? I would be happy to bet that our new club captain is playing that game and not the nines. Hunt or Parker I reckon but probably Hunt. Everyone knows what Parker is about there's no need to watch him over the off season.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • ParraMania
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Boss
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.