• Other marque signing

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PNG Broncos fan88

PNG Broncos fan88

NRL Player
Aug 27, 2018
Since Boyd will be seeing out his contract till 2021 along with McCullough and Milford locking up their current spine positions of 5/8, hooker and fullback. Who would you like at halfback alongside them possibly for the next 2-4 years?

Since Boyd will be seeing out his contract till 2021 along with McCullough and Milford locking up their current spine positions of 5/8, hooker and fullback. Who would you like at halfback alongside them possibly for the next 2-4 years?

How are you so certain that Macca will be the starting 9 and Boyd won't be a stop gap in the 6 until both SoS and Dearden are fit?
No reason he couldn't be moved to the centres next year.

A more interesting pole might be who we want at 6.

While Dearden didn’t do any wrong during his stint, especially for his age and experience level, what exactly did people see in his NrL games that have him being so talked up?

I’m not being negative, I like him as a player but I don’t remember any great kicks, or line breaks, no slick passes that creates overlaps or lead to line breaks or tries. He didn’t show any great footwork nor speed. He defended admirably for a little fella but he still got dragged around until reinforcements would help him. Definitely didn’t hit as hard as the similar sized Turpin.
We all agree Turpin isn’t a half yet Turpin has shown far more in his few games at 7 than Dearden did. Again, I like Dearden I just haven’t seen anything too exciting from him.

I liked both Dearden and SOS but of the two SOS was way more exciting and probably had the best debut at halfback we've had in twenty years even if only fir half a game.
We looked a different side with him, we looked to be a threat in every set of six. We looked controlled and a bit pedestrian with Dearden but it's quite possible that he was playing to instructions. Truthfully, the way Dearden played we could simply have abandoned the position altogether and whomever was closest could have done a job because he didn't really take many risks or generate opportunities.

I'm with @Huge and @theshed, not as a knock on the talented lad but fair objective views.
Also, think the kid is too young and not match hardened enough for the rigours of weekly NRL. Another serious injury in the attempt of tackling the bigger forwards could shatter his confidence/development for him and our sake in the long run.

Last edited:
How are you so certain that Macca will be the starting 9 and Boyd won't be a stop gap in the 6 until both SoS and Dearden are fit?
No reason he couldn't be moved to the centres next year.

Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

For the rest of this season its SoS; Dearden though would be another fine option but I'm finding it difficult to believe both can fit in this side now that Boyd has found his new home...

2 to 4 years from now; well id say we would be wise to monitor the player market. Its not often a world class half comes onto the market but a few of them will be in that time frame...

Player (Games)TriesForced Drop OutsAve. Kicks MetresTry AssistsLB AssistsTacklesTackle %Ave. Run MetresRun Metres
Tom Dearden (5)0094.0009480.146.8234
Sean O'Sullivan (3)00188.1126986.979.5238
Jake Turpin (9)21102.92126090.826.4237

Last edited:
If your going to compare Sos and Dearden at least do it in context. Dearden played his games with Milf at 6 who was running the show. Then Sos came in and also played with Milf.

On those games Dearden was the better player by far. Sos played better when he had control and Milf was at the back.

This is not a nock on Milf its actually a good thing. Just having him there makes the defence second guess. It opens up the game a bit for the halfs to play footy. Even Boyd at 5/8 had a sniff with Milf at the back.

So we can only fairly compare once Dearden gets a go with the new look spine and has control. What I liked about Sos was even with Macca at 9 he was able to make few half breaks and caused a bit of a headache around the ruck. But like I implied in my last paragraph this has a lot to do with the threat out the back that Milf creates.

In a perfect world i see the two young lads owning the halfs spots together and letting nature takes it course on who becomes the dominant shot caller but at the moment its Boyds spot to lose.

Player (Games)TriesForced Drop OutsAve. Kicks MetresTry AssistsLB AssistsTacklesTackle %Ave. Run MetresRun Metres
Tom Dearden (5)0094.0009480.146.8234
Sean O'Sullivan (3)00188.1126986.979.5238
Jake Turpin (9)21102.92126090.826.4237

SoS showed the most promise of the 3 for mine and this seems to support it.

BHQ members have had their say.
Dearden the preferred choice at 69.6%, O'Sullivan 21.4%, and other signing at 8.9%.

This preference more likely to be Seibold's choice as well, and will be picked next round.
Unfortunately Turpin or Segeyaro to be omitted from the team.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about that point.

Bear with me before flying off the handle here guys.

Would it be a bad move to let Turpin go? Wait, don't fire away, hear me out.

I don't want to lose Turpin and he is EASILY better than Macca. I would love to keep him over Macca and wouldn't even hesitate. However, it isn't that simple is it. Macca has two years in his favour and I doubt he will have any legit suiters, he just isn't that good for another team to offer the wage he is on.

So, we are stuck with Macca, we all know it. Is Turpin the next Cook? Smith? Farah? I have no idea but what I do know is this - he is good, very good but don't the Broncs have another promising kid coming through? Now, letting Turps go is a risk but the retention committee has bought this on the club by some bad long-term re-signings in Macca, Boyd and Gillett. Something has to give. Segs is signed up most likely on minimum wage. So Macca and Segs for the next two year, hopefully this kid coming through or Paix is ready then.

Again, this isn't the best solution and Turps may decide to stay for under what he is worth but some tough decisions are going to have to be made due to some stupid retention decisions around some of the older guys.

That said, Gillett may retire and free up some cash, I don't know I just have a feeling about that.

I don't want to lose Turpin and he is EASILY better than Macca. I would love to keep him over Macca and wouldn't even hesitate. However, it isn't that simple is it. Macca has two years in his favour and I doubt he will have any legit suiters, he just isn't that good for another team to offer the wage he is on.

So, we are stuck with Macca, we all know it. Is Turpin the next Cook? Smith? Farah? I have no idea but what I do know is this - he is good, very good but don't the Broncs have another promising kid coming through? Now, letting Turps go is a risk but the retention committee has bought this on the club by some bad long-term re-signings in Macca, Boyd and Gillett. Something has to give. Segs is signed up most likely on minimum wage. So Macca and Segs for the next two year, hopefully this kid coming through or Paix is ready then.

Again, this isn't the best solution and Turps may decide to stay for under what he is worth but some tough decisions are going to have to be made due to some stupid retention decisions around some of the older guys.

That said, Gillett may retire and free up some cash, I don't know I just have a feeling about that.

No one is arguing against you here but the issue is that I think most want Macca forced out. He stinks and Turpin is a literal God.

Not disagreeing with this assessment but the problem is, we can see the issues when Macca is starting. He is slow, doesn't give the ball to the halves with time, offers nothing in attack. Yea he doesn't make many unforced errors but the impact that someone like Turpin has to this team is undeniable.
If we could somehow shop Macca and keep Turps that would be one step closer to us becoming a genuine premiership side.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.