NEWS Why Brisbane can bounce back to glory in 2025

BHQArticleImageLarge118

Brisbane Broncos legends Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday have revealed how they bounced back from missing finals at the glamour club and provided an outline to how the current team can follow the same pathway.

The Broncos won’t play finals football for the fourth time in the past five years after going within minutes of a seventh premiership in 2023.

It will be the ninth time in the club’s decorated history they have missed finals, while Parker and Thaiday only missed the finals twice in their career in Brisbane.

The second time was in 2013, with Thaiday as captain, when the Broncos bounced back to make the postseason in 2014 and two years later play in a grand final and the pair revealed how the club returned to their powerhouse ways.

“Well you need a clear and concise plan on where you went wrong and why you went wrong, you need some great, brutal honesty within the group and you all need to understand what needs to happen moving forward,” Parker said on SENQ Mornings.“You cannot negotiate or deviate from that.

“In 2013 we didn’t play in the finals, 14’ we did and 15’ we played in a grand final, so there has to be change, without change you don’t get the success moving forward.

“I’ve got no doubt, and I’ve said this openly, the Broncos need to uncover what went wrong, look it squarely in the eye, have some hard and honest truths in regards to how they’re going to fix it going forward.

“It’s not easy, it is not going to be easy.

“Everyone needs to be going in that same direction, if they don’t want to be a part of that that’s fine, they need to identify those people and dismiss them out of the club.”

Thaiday said the hardest part was, and would be for the current Broncos, the players not turning on each other and pointed to the current squad’s depth, saying the club was “like a lasagna”.

“It’s always had layers to it, you need the really nice marinara sauce, you need the good quality half/half with beef and pork mince and we’ve always had those layers of players,” he said on SENQ Mornings.

“I go back to the ’06 grand final team and throughout that season we had our Shane Webcke’s, our Petero Civoniceva’s, our Darren Lockyer’s and our next guys under that in your Dane Carlaw, your Corey Parker’s and your Casey Maguire’s and you had these young guys coming through that were trying to have a crack.

“I think this year we’ve really seen that… the next guys up aren’t really experienced enough to go out there and make sure we can seal some of those close games.”

Parker also said he found it “interesting” the Broncos were letting a quality forward like Kobe Hetherington negotiate with other clubs but praised CEO Dave Donaghy coming out and backing coach Kevin Walters.

SEN

The Broncos won’t play finals football for the fourth time in the past five years

Did you ever think you'd read a sentence like this 10-15 years ago? No chance. You'd be laughing your arse off if someone told you that it would happen in the future.

How the mighty have fallen.

The Broncos won’t play finals football for the fourth time in the past five years

Did you ever think you'd read a sentence like this 10-15 years ago? No chance. You'd be laughing your arse off if someone told you that it would happen in the future.

Since Lockyer retired in 2011 (12-13 years ago) we've only had two winning seasons that weren't coached by Wayne... 2022 and 2023... so 15yr ago sure, although fans were always worried about life after Lockyer... but 10yr ago it may not have been that far fetched as Griffinball was just about to get sacked for Wayne 2.0.

The alarm bells should've been ringing at Red Hill a long fucking time ago... but this time there is no Wayne to bail them out... maybe the board will turn back to Griffinball instead, wonder how he'll go when Lockyer isn't there to win games for him like 2011.

Obviously the interview was running late and Thaiday was feeling the pinch.......

Since Lockyer retired in 2011 (12-13 years ago) we've only had two winning seasons that weren't coached by Wayne... 2022 and 2023... so 15yr ago sure, although fans were always worried about life after Lockyer... but 10yr ago it may not have been that far fetched as Griffinball was just about to get sacked for Wayne 2.0.

The alarm bells should've been ringing at Red Hill a long fucking time ago... but this time there is no Wayne to bail them out... maybe the board will turn back to Griffinball instead, wonder how he'll go when Lockyer isn't there to win games for him like 2011.

View attachment 29454

Yeah, fair point.

It feels like it's been downhill since the end of 2008, that gutting loss to the Storm in the prelim final and the departure of Wayne for the first time.

Of course, there's been the odd period or two where we've looked good, but never the permanent force we once were.

Sigh.

Imagine telling a Broncos fan in 2006 that the club would never win another premiership.

Why Brisbane can bounce back to glory in 2015 makes more sense.

View attachment 29454

People who were born in 60's with their "whip their arse until they perform" attitude still worry about life after Alfie.

I have no faith that we will bounce back.

Honestly, it doesn't really surprise me. It's disappointing, certainly, but I think I always expected there'd be a period when we weren't a dominant force in the competition, because that's generally how sport works. It's incredibly hard to stay on top indefinitely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it, especially that we couldn't sustain the success of 2023. But this period will make our next premiership all the sweeter.

Honestly, it doesn't really surprise me. It's disappointing, certainly, but I think I always expected there'd be a period when we weren't a dominant force in the competition, because that's generally how sport works. It's incredibly hard to stay on top indefinitely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it, especially that we couldn't sustain the success of 2023. But this period will make our next premiership all the sweeter.
I was 5 years old when broncos won their last premiership (which I don’t remember), feels like I’m never going to see them win a premiership in this lifetime

I was 5 years old when broncos won their last premiership (which I don’t remember), feels like I’m never going to see them win a premiership in this lifetime

Not to be a downer, but that's just sport. Sometimes teams never win their comp.

But sport is also about hope and faith. And I'm confident that you will.

I actually do think there's a bit of merit in fans being part of the problem, the fan scrum during and after training is insane, the club should consider a rethink on how this is managed. Even a redesign of the facilities as the front area near the cafe is a big problem.

Make the cafe area viewing only, build a bigger better shaded fan experience over here:

We are missing finals because we arent ruthless with people dishing out mediocrity. Bizarrely, we were pretty ruthless with our most successful coach of all time. Very odd.
I’m convinced that was mostly politics but I also think that is partly why we’ve gone gun shy.

We don’t want to be a club like the tigers that endlessly cycle through coaches but we also keep hiring Tigers-tier coaches

Active Now

• theshed
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.