Why Copley must play Centre

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
It is obvious to anyone who watches the kid that Anthony Milford is going to be a superstar. That boy was born to play football, you can just see it in every movement of his body, every kick and every pass.

We shouldn't forget about who is on the other side of the pass though. If Milford makes a break and is running downfield, someone is going to have to be there in time to receive the goods. At the Raiders, it was usually Jarrod Croker, who had a decent enough amount of pace to match it with the Milf, putting himself there on Milfs outside as an option to pass.

Who do we have in the Broncos outside backs that could honestly match it with Milford in terms of pace? Hodges hasn't got THAT much anymore, Reed is too inconsistent, Hoffman is gone, Barba is gone, Vidot is more about muscle than speed and Maranta will be lucky to play first grade.

That leaves one person, Copley, who has shown an amazing amount of pace when he breaks the line. He is perfectly capable of being Milfs finisher if he needs him. But he has to play centre. I want him in as prime a position to receive that ball as possible.

Naaa.... You're just a reed hater in disguise. I am a big Reed advocate. . Feel he's been the victim of hook's bullshit

I agree that Copley should be the left hand centre but the argument to that point IBM would be that Copley can still offer support play from the wing.

It is obvious to anyone who watches the kid that Anthony Milford is going to be a superstar. That boy was born to play football, you can just see it in every movement of his body, every kick and every pass.

We shouldn't forget about who is on the other side of the pass though. If Milford makes a break and is running downfield, someone is going to have to be there in time to receive the goods. At the Raiders, it was usually Jarrod Croker, who had a decent enough amount of pace to match it with the Milf, putting himself there on Milfs outside as an option to pass.

Who do we have in the Broncos outside backs that could honestly match it with Milford in terms of pace? Hodges hasn't got THAT much anymore, Reed is too inconsistent, Hoffman is gone, Barba is gone, Vidot is more about muscle than speed and Maranta will be lucky to play first grade.

That leaves one person, Copley, who has shown an amazing amount of pace when he breaks the line. He is perfectly capable of being Milfs finisher if he needs him. But he has to play centre. I want him in as prime a position to receive that ball as possible.

Ill tell you who should be supporting Milford and scoring a shitload of tries - Darius Boyd.

Copley should play left center, because he is the best left center at the club (and second best center overall)

I agree that Copley should be the left hand centre but the argument to that point IBM would be that Copley can still offer support play from the wing.

He can but not as good as he would otherwise playing in the centres. We know how much of a ball hog Reed can be at times

Would it really make that much of a difference?

If Reed can't keep up, Copley should be able to match him on the wing and offer support there.

Even then, I don't think Dale is that much faster than Jack. It isn't like he's James Roberts or David Mead.

He also has the strength to bust a tackle and the ability to draw in the opposing defence and send his winger away. Strength and drawing a winger is what i always like in a centre. Support play is something everyone should be capable off IMO although you can offer an excuse for a few positions.

Copley is suspect under the high ball too so that's another reason to have him centre. The real one though is that having Copley at centre gives us two strike weapons a centre.

As for the backing up of Milford, I cannot underline just how much this is a role that Boyd should primarily fill. He has good speed and will play fullback. No reason why he can't follow Milford around like he were Inglis and score 14+ this year.

Though frankly everyone should be supporting each other. It was an area we were poor in this year and one of the hallmarks of a strong team is good support play.

Speaking of speed, I'd like all our backs do speed training. We need speed out wide to match teams like Souths and Roosters. They've got speed all across the park, especially in the backline.

Out of our team, who are the fastest players. I'd probably say Milford, Boyd, Maranta, Copley, Kahu and Hunt.

Speaking of speed, I'd like all our backs do speed training. We need speed out wide to match teams like Souths and Roosters. They've got speed all across the park, especially in the backline.

Out of our team, who are the fastest players. I'd probably say Milford, Boyd, Maranta, Copley, Kahu and Hunt.

Yep, hopefully without Griffin there will be speed training, and not KFC training.

I believe Jack Reed has specifically said he's going to do speed work, and last year Vidot wanted to lose a few kg and gain a bit of pace, same for Maranta I believe.

Yep, hopefully without Griffin there will be speed training, and not KFC training.

Hahah the only speed training Griffin made them do was who could eat KFC the quickest.

It's going to be an interesting year with another option for linebreaks other than >>> Hodges improvising out of dummy half - wrong footing centre - palm off three from standing start - offload ....Maranta bundled into touch.

Is Copley's best position right centre (4) though?

Is Copley's best position right centre (4) though?

I thought that too but I've been told he played most of his 20s and younger days on the left, and that's his preferred side.

I thought that too but I've been told he played most of his 20s and younger days on the left, and that's his preferred side.

Yeah I have heard that his preferred position is left centre, as it suits the way he steps.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Kev_Guz
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.