Why Copley must play Centre

I'm willing to give Reed a chance to start the season. He wont have hoggman on his side not passing him the ball and his back half of the season was OK when he was given a bit more ball to work with.

I'm willing to give Reed a chance to start the season. He wont have hoggman on his side not passing him the ball and his back half of the season was OK when he was given a bit more ball to work with.

I have no problem with Reed starting the year at centre, the only thing is having Copley and Milford together would be a more dangerous combination as the defence would not known who to go for as they are both so dangerous.

Copley's preferred position is left centre, however I still feel Reed, especially with the changes made to the squad, has a lot to offer. Plus Wayne has worked with Reed before during the NRL All-Stars, so I assume Bennett will start with him at left centre.

This hasn't been mentioned before, but since its almost a given that Copley will be playing wing, and Copley's preferred side of the field is on the left, why not play Copley at left wing, and Vidot at right wing outside Hodges???

Vidot looks more comfortable on the right in my opinion, and so too does Copley on the left. Plus it gives the option that Reed can swap around with Copley during the game.

Copley's preferred position is left centre, however I still feel Reed, especially with the changes made to the squad, has a lot to offer. Plus Wayne has worked with Reed before during the NRL All-Stars, so I assume Bennett will start with him at left centre.

This hasn't been mentioned before, but since its almost a given that Copley will be playing wing, and Copley's preferred side of the field is on the left, why not play Copley at left wing, and Vidot at right wing outside Hodges???

Vidot looks more comfortable on the right in my opinion, and so too does Copley on the left. Plus it gives the option that Reed can swap around with Copley during the game.
From memory Vidot played some right wing at Canberra too? I think Vidot and Hodges speed matches a bit better than Copley and Hodges lol.

You want your best finisher outside Hodges because right side is where Milford plays better and Gillett is more dangerous and given even play down both sides the right will create more chances.

For all his positives Vidot is a shit finisher. And you only need to think back to 2013 Maranta to realize just how many tries can be bombed down that right side.

You want your best finisher outside Hodges because right side is where Milford plays better and Gillett is more dangerous and given even play down both sides the right will create more chances.

For all his positives Vidot is a shit finisher. And you only need to think back to 2013 Maranta to realize just how many tries can be bombed down that right side.

Oh jesus, Maranta has to be close to being the one player who bombed the most points for Brisbane ever.

I feel like we're in a similar position to what the Panthers faced a few years back with Coote and Gordon. Gordon was a better fullback than Coote, but Coote couldn't play wing and the step down from Gordon to the third best winger at the club was far greater than the step down from Gordon to Coote at fullback. Copley's a better centre than Reed, but who's going to play right wing? Maranta's better under the high ball, but plays terribly outside Hodges and with his soft kick returns and dummy half crabbing we lose a lot of impact in the start of our sets. Kahu's done decently there in the past but he doesn't have a heap of experience on the wing and doesn't exactly demand selection based on ISC form. Frickin' Hoffman.

Gillett is more likely to play on the left fringe, as Thaiday will be on the right, which is where I think he is at his best too.

Vidot seems to be more comfortable on the right (see Canberra years and recent 4 nations), which would leave Copley on the left side... the question is where, wing or centre? Personally I prefer centre, but not too fussed to give Reed a go.

Gillett is more likely to play on the left fringe, as Thaiday will be on the right, which is where I think he is at his best too.

Vidot seems to be more comfortable on the right (see Canberra years and recent 4 nations), which would leave Copley on the left side... the question is where, wing or centre? Personally I prefer centre, but not too fussed to give Reed a go.

I'm obviously not Bennett but surely he was watching our games after he knew he was coming back here and saw how good Copley is in the centres. I would wager he is seriously considering it, and would prefer to let Reed and Copley fight over it then choose one or the other outright

Broncos website has a (partially) Maranta article that reckons that he, Copley, Vidot and Kahu are all competing for 2 wings spots.

Oh jesus, Maranta has to be close to being the one player who bombed the most points for Brisbane ever.

True, though Chris Walker goes down as bombing the easiest certain try ever

Last edited by a moderator:
As a winger I rate Vidot at no 4 in that race

I dunno, I think he's a must. His work from our own end at club level is just too valuable.

He hasn't been great in attack, but just like Glenn, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt by being outside total nuffies in the halves like Hoffman and Barba.

I don't think he's any worse under the high ball than Copley either. I'd have him on the right, and Copley on the left to start with (if Reed is a certainty in the centres).

I really don't think you can blame his finishing on the halves.
To me Copely plays centre or not at all

I think he has to play, even if it's on the wing. Unfortunately I doubt he could improve too much under the high ball though, I think his hands are just pretty bad (he used to be called Dropley for a reason).

None of our wingers seem to be good in every area anyway. Man, if only Hoffman stayed or Boyd played wing, they easily be our best wingers.

I think he has to play, even if it's on the wing. Unfortunately I doubt he could improve too much under the high ball though, I think his hands are just pretty bad (he used to be called Dropley for a reason).

None of our wingers seem to be good in every area anyway. Man, if only Hoffman stayed or Boyd played wing, they easily be our best wingers.
Bennett has a history of pulling wingers from left field. We could get a surprise

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jordan Kahu playing on the wing if he gets an injury free pre-season. He is a class above Vidot and Maranta plus he is a lot more talented as well. Copley should absolutely be left centre. Reed has his good games but he fails to make the impact that Copley can provide. Copley is a genuine game winner. Sure his defence isn't perfect but it should improve with more time in the centres.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jordan Kahu playing on the wing if he gets an injury free pre-season. He is a class above Vidot and Maranta plus he is a lot more talented as well. Copley should absolutely be left centre. Reed has his good games but he fails to make the impact that Copley can provide. Copley is a genuine game winner. Sure his defence isn't perfect but it should improve with more time in the centres.

Kahu I believe in the future with time in first grade could become one of the games best winger/centres and play for New Zealand. He has size, speed and a good step.

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Browny
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Yellowfella
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.