Why "dangerous" Broncos can emulate '09 Eels in deep finals run

BHQArticleImageLarge96

Co-host of SEN’s Saturday Mower’s Club and former NRL player Justin Horo has declared no one wants to see the Brisbane Broncos make the finals despite their inconsistent season to date.

The Broncos, who were one of the premiership favourites to kick-off the year, sit in 11th position and in danger of missing the finals even after their impressive win over Newcastle on the weekend.

But with skipper and star halfback Adam Reynolds back in the line-up and helping teammates like Reece Walsh bounce back into form, Horo said last year’s grand finalists are capable of making a big run to finish the season.

“On the weekend, it highlighted what they’re capable of,” he said on Mornings SENQ.

“My opinion was I think they’re the second most talented team behind Penrith in the competition, unfortunately because of the middle part of the year they might not get that chance to go up against Penrith in a meaningful game in the finals.

“I just think this Broncos team fully fit, there as dangerous as it gets in the competition and there’s not one team in the competition or in the top eight that would like to see the Broncos make the final eight.

“If they can manage to go on a run here, and with the quality they have in the team, if they can go on like a crazy Parramatta ‘09 unbeaten run where they find themselves in fifth or sixth position on the ladder and somehow get a home semi for that first final, I think it’ll serve them really well.”

Horo, who played for both the Manly Sea Eagles and Parramatta Eels before joining the UK Super League, also went into detail on how the return of Reynolds unleashed young gun Walsh in a danger sign for the rest of the NRL.

“I’ll give you one particular sequence in the game on the weekend that stood out and showed the importance of what Adam Reynolds brings to not only the Broncos but specifically to Reece Walsh,” he said.

“(Walsh) was on fire to start the game and everything that he did just came off whether it was line breaks or try assists.

“At the start of the second half before the Piakura try, they get an error and make a little mini break, Walshy gets straight in and throws a double cutout pass to Jesse Arthars… then Kotoni Staggs gets tackled and during that time you can see Walshy just screaming at Reynolds to get the ball because he wanted to play straight away,” he said.

“Reynolds calmed him down for one more tackle, laid off to Xavier Willison and the next play Reynolds goes ‘ok here you go lets have a crack’ and then Walshy comes up with a try assist for Piakura.

“Stuff that the Broncos have been missing.”

The Broncos take on the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.

SEN

Active Now

• Dee
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • Dreaglor
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • The Don
  • bb_gun
  • Ronald
  • Dash
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Browny
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • marw
  • Shane Tronc
  • pennywisealfie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.