Why has Alfie never been suggested as Bennett's successor?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
We hear plenty about people wanting Walters to replace Wayne after he retires, and of course the sordid saga involving Bellyache had certain people on here enraptured until it was proven the toxic **** was just using us to blow out his price tag.

In all of the discussion about the coaching succession, old Alf has never, ever entered the conversation. He's constantly out on the field directing traffic anyway, he has to be as intimately familiar with the game now as he was when he was tearing it up in our number 7. So why has his name never even come up? Has he sworn off coaching completely and I'm just ignorant of it?

He doesn't want to be a head coach.

He was an assistant coach when Hook started out, but stepped down from the role to take up more of a corporate role. He said that coaching has never been his forte.

Upload 2018 7 1 11 57 50

We hear plenty about people wanting Walters to replace Wayne after he retires, and of course the sordid saga involving Bellyache had certain people on here enraptured until it was proven the toxic **** was just using us to blow out his price tag.

In all of the discussion about the coaching succession, old Alf has never, ever entered the conversation. He's constantly out on the field directing traffic anyway, he has to be as intimately familiar with the game now as he was when he was tearing it up in our number 7. So why has his name never even come up? Has he sworn off coaching completely and I'm just ignorant of it?
Agree with the statement that he is one of the boys, not their boss..

But this does remind me of another topic with alfie...

Why is he never anywhere near immortal discussions?

He was THE dominant halfback in the 90’s. Won 4 premierships (double johns) and all as captain, over 30 origins with multiple MoM performances. Im not sure he deserves to be one but I just dont get why he isnt even thought of. People say lockyer was a clutch player, but alfie was next level. Saved our asses plenty of times

Back in the day my Dad drove the council truck alfie was assigned to. Dad wasn't impressed by his intellect! The old man only did the job in his final years to while away the hours, he was vastly over qualified ! He had run Wolston Park and other asylums in his prime.

In a nutshell. I reckon he might go ok as an origin coach ala fittler.

Is Fittler really going OK though? It feels like he needs to be bailed out by his buddies Johns and Gould to avoid maing some terrible selections.

Could Walters and Langer be co-coaches? Like the Walker brothers in the ISC.

He was THE dominant halfback in the 90’s. Won 4 premierships (double johns) and all as captain, over 30 origins with multiple MoM performances. Im not sure he deserves to be one but I just dont get why he isnt even thought of. People say lockyer was a clutch player, but alfie was next level. Saved our asses plenty of times

Have never understood it either tbh. The players he came up against and regularly beat.....

Deserves re-posting.

He's my favourite player of all time.

So totally right. I felt the same about the Langer Walters combo as I did whenever Wally played. ****, the King hated losing and Alfie and Kevie loved winning to the same degree.

Langer was the best halfback and there was absolutely no dispute about that. What people have largely forgotten about Langer is his singular status within rugby league due to the fact that like another famous Australian, the rules of rugby league were changed to stop his success and like that other australian he overcame that obstacle. No other player in rugby league history forced a rule change not once only but twice.

He deserves so much more credit than has been afforded him and I wonder why it hasn't happened.

So totally right. I felt the same about the Langer Walters combo as I did whenever Wally played. ****, the King hated losing and Alfie and Kevie loved winning to the same degree.

Langer was the best halfback and there was absolutely no dispute about that. What people have largely forgotten about Langer is his singular status within rugby league due to the fact that like another famous Australian, the rules of rugby league were changed to stop his success and like that other australian he overcame that obstacle. No other player in rugby league history forced a rule change not once only but twice.

He deserves so much more credit than has been afforded him and I wonder why it hasn't happened.

Probably because of the jersey he wore his whole career.

If nothing else... I was having this same discussion with a mate last night... he deserves a statue.

He was the broncos. No other player I think has had as much influence on the field. There's a few up there but Langer was the guy for such a long time.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.