Why Milford can be the best

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
PEOPLE often ask if Anthony Milford reminds me of a former great with his playing style. Every time, I come up blank ... because, to be honest, Milford is seriously one of a kind.

In all my time in the game as a player and now pundit, I don’t think I’ve seen any five-eighth possess both his footwork and ball-playing ability.

Wally Lewis. Laurie Daley. Cliff Lyons. Brad Fittler. Kevin Walters. Those guys were all wonderful five-eighths with great skill but none also featured the lightning-fast footwork that makes Milford such a dynamic package.

For a lot of people, Anthony came of age in the grand final last year. He stood up big time and was probably the man-of-the-match in a losing side. That performance defined him in a lot of ways. It took him up a level in a lot of people’s eyes and it reinforced for me Anthony’s ability because the elite players play best in the big games.

It was another class performance by Milford on Thursday night. The pass for Brisbane’s first try and his freakish put-down to put the Dragons to bed late ... it’s impressive to think he can be so good at the age of 21.

At the same stage of my career, I didn’t have the playmaking pressure that Milford shoulders. I was a fullback in a star-studded team and I did a long apprenticeship at the back before Wayne Bennett handed me the keys to the Broncos scrumbase.

In his first year at Canberra, Milford won the player of the year award. He was 18. As soon as I heard that, I thought he would be a special player.

I’m mindful not to put too much pressure on ‘Milf’, but as he evolves and gets more experience he can one day be the No. 1 player in the code.

As Thurston got more experience, his game management got better and that’s what has made him the dominant force he is now.

At the moment, Milford has just about everything except the kicking game of JT, but that will evolve as he develops experience in the No. 6 jumper.

Can he succeed Thurston in the Queensland jumper? Time will tell, and it will be at least 12 months before Milford is available for Queensland selection, but he is making all the right moves.

On the back of his grand final performance, it cemented in my mind that he is an Origin-type player.

Grand finals are not easy to play in and if you have a big game in a grand final, you are made for Origin. It’s comforting for Queensland to know that someone like Anthony has come along and performed on the big stage.

When it’s his turn to wear the Maroon jersey, he will be ready.

As for his Broncos team, there is something special about the class of 2016.

The Broncos have developed a formidable trait of shifting a gear when they need to. They have an aura about them again. It’s not arrogance, but a confidence to get the job done in clutch moments.

The moment someone challenges them, like the Cowboys and Titans recently, they say, ‘OK, this is what we’ve been waiting for, bring it on’.

There is plenty of character and that’s what you need to win a premiership. Like Anthony Milford, they just have to maintain their standards.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b2c43d396cfc1215c4d3f5da0a338873

He us a freakish player ... And i am so glad he is playing for us instead of against us

He should be on the bench for the Anzac test.

Can you imagine the energy he would have just playing the last 15 minutes of each half? And the space he would find around the ruck and one or two players wider? This MUST happen IMO. The way he lifted through the finals....he is made for rep footy.

He should be on the bench for the Anzac test.

He should be. But Mal has said he won't be playing in the test match this year.

Milford needs to slow down a little bit..

Making a highlights reel and it's already over 2 minutes long. And it's only been 6 rounds.

sorry SF but here's hoping he damn well explodes and powers us all to another unbeaten origin period, minor-premiership, 5 try demolition of the cowboys for the premiership, cures cancer and saves the kids from boko haram, and reduces your graphics cards to a smouldering mess!

Milford needs to slow down a little bit..

Making a highlights reel and it's already over 2 minutes long. And it's only been 6 rounds.
Can't wait to see that one. Hopefully, it has a happy ending...

Why not? Who's more deserving, dce, Morgan (aka I live a charmed life outside Thurston), another forward?
It's obviously because of the Origin ban.

Morgan did a good job for QLD before.

He didn't play badly but he didn't do anything that great from memory. He did his job without fucking anything up.

Anyone who took DCE's Origin spot was always going to look good. Anything that gives Milf motivation to prove the doubters wrong is fine by me.

He's a nuggety Lockyer maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that Milford wears our jersey it's just awesome how composed he is in any situation and to think he is my age is just freakish.

Just from watching those old games with Lewis, Daley, Fittler, Walters etc something they have all over Milford though is defensive skills and upper body strength. Lewis, Fittler and Daley could certainly put on some huge hits which is something Milford lacks. Either way i'm just happy he is in our team and is delivering almost each week.

I love that Milford wears our jersey it's just awesome how composed he is in any situation and to think he is my age is just freakish.

Just from watching those old games with Lewis, Daley, Fittler, Walters etc something they have all over Milford though is defensive skills and upper body strength. Lewis, Fittler and Daley could certainly put on some huge hits which is something Milford lacks. Either way i'm just happy he is in our team and is delivering almost each week.

They are completely different players, you can't compare. You could use that same logic to say all those players have nothing on Milf because they lack his speed, agility and footwork.

Time will certainly tell. We have the honour of watching Milf for his entire career, just like Locky before him. Lets reconvene in 5 years and we will discuss where he fits into history, but he is off to an incredible start.

Just to provide some perspective, Brad Fittler was so versatile he could just about play anywhere on the footy field. As a five eighth, he didn't really make that position his own until 1998 where outside of four games he spent the rest of his club career. Freddy was 26 at that time, 4 years older than Milf and really I don't think Freddy really solidified his legacy until 2002 when he led the Roosters to their first premiership since 76.

Before then he was always considered an elite talent but afterwards he finally had the credentials to compete with the Bob Fulton's, Wally Lewis', Brett Kenny's, Laurie Daley's etc. etc. Especially in 2003 where he was the best club player that year.

I haven't seen a half like Milf emerge since Benji. I just hope to god he has better luck and prospers in a more professional environment.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.