Q-CUP 2024 Queensland Cup Discussion

Watch the game again

3 tries disallowed
X2 were def tries

Trey fuller try. Did he get it down.?

Trey fuller pass to valence forward by at least a mter.!

Night before game on Friday night qrl stood down pride 5/8 due to sharing a post on Instagram.
Pride played a 5/8 whomjasnt.played all year.
No.wondwr they look clunky.
He dropped a ball.over the try line and ran for 25 meters.

Ref was atrocious.
Yeah pride were not at there best
But if you add all this up
It's no wonder they didn't win

Play silly games, win silly prizes. He was banned by the Cairns RL and its Lui’s own fault.

Fresh from winning the National Schoolboy Cup, the Titans are pleased to confirm Palm Beach Currumbin State High School duo Zane Harrison and Sam Stephenson will begin full-time as development players in 2025.

Transitioning from the Gold Coast's Future Titans program to the NRL squad, the talented teens joined the Titans for pre-season training last November before their year of success at both club and schoolboy level in 2024; also claiming the Mal Meninga Cup title with the Tweed Seagulls in May.

Petero Medal Day.

Coach of the year- Smith
Petero Medal- Duffy
Meninga Player of the year- Harrison

I don't think any Broncos make the team of the year. Think it will be dominated by Dolphins- Devils and Redcliffe and Cowboys- Pride.

My smokey for front row is Cooper Jenkins.

I went to school and played a bit of juniors with Iggy Graham......

I remember his playing ability was unremarkable, but he had ticker
...and could throw a punch.

p.s His older sister has great tits.

QRL Awards 2024​

Statewide competitions​

Petero Civoniceva Medal: Judah Rimbu (PNG Hunters)
Steph Hancock Medal: Tara Reinke (Western Clydesdales)
Darryl Van de Velde Hostplus Cup Coach of the Year: Eric Smith (Northern Pride)
Darryl Van de Velde BMD Premiership Coach of the Year: Meg Ward (Norths Devils)

Hostplus Cup Team of the Year:

Fullback: Trai Fuller (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Wing: Manase Kaho (Norths Devils)
Centre: Ethan Quai-Ward (Souths Logan Magpies)
Five-Eighth: Jake Clifford (Northern Pride)
Halfback: Thomas Duffy (Northern Pride)
Prop: Tukimihia Simpkins (Norths Devils)
Hooker: Cory Paix (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
Second Row: Dane Aukafolau (Northern Pride)
Lock: Sam Coster (Burleigh Bears)

BMD Premiership Team of the Year:

Fullback: Krystal Blackwell (Mackay Cutters)
Wing: Georgia Sim (Western Clydesdales)
Centre: Leianne Tufuga (Western Clydesdales)
Five-eighth: Georgia Hannaway (Norths Devils)
Halfback: Tahlulah Tillett (Mackay Cutters)
Prop: Chelsea Lenarduzzi (Burleigh Bears)
Hooker: Jada Ferguson (Norths Devils)
Second Row: Bree Chester (Mackay Cutters)
Lock: Tara Reinke (Western Clydesdales)

Hostplus Cup leading try scorer:Manase Kaho (Norths Devils)
Hostplus Cup leading points scorer:Thomas Duffy (Northern Pride)
BMD Premiership leading try scorer:Bridget Hoy (Tweed Seagulls)
BMD Premiership leading points scorer: Chantay Kiria-Ratu (Souths Logan Magpies)

Hostplus Cup Pedro Gallagher Award for Rookie of the Year, presented by the Carbine Club: Latrell Siegwalt (Redcliffe Dolphins)
BMD Premiership Pedro Gallagher Award for Rookie of the Year, presented by the Carbine Club: Georgia Hannaway (Norths Devils)

Des Morris Medal for Cyril Connell Cup Player of the Year: Tom Parker (Souths Logan Magpies)
Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year:Zane Harrison (Tweed Seagulls)
Harvey Norman Under 19 Player of the Year: Nadia Windleborn (Burleigh Bears)

Murray Hurst Education Award: Jarrett Boland (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Murray Hurst Education Award:Bridget Hoy (Tweed Seagulls)

Club Championship, presented by TPIL: Burleigh Bears
Minor Premiership: Northern Pride

Representative programs​

Ron McAuliffe Medal: Tom Dearden
FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award:Matthew Barradeen
Annie Banks Medal: Shannon Mato
Renae Kunst Medal: Zahara Temara

Volunteer awards​

Shell V-Power Volunteer of the Year:Damian Smith (Mackay Magpies)
XXXX Community Club of the Year:Bowen Seagulls (Rugby League Townsville & District)
McDonald's Coach of the Year: Robin Gilloway (Fassifern Bombers JRL)
Harvey Norman contribution to the female game: Tori Wilkie (Gold Coast Rugby League) Referees' Association
BMD Indigenous Award: Jasmine Bond (Northern Peninsula Area Regional Rugby League)
Westpac Wellbeing Award: Adam Flier (Burleigh Bears JRL)
rebel Young Person of the Year:Thomas Ottaway (Maroochydore Swans JRL)
PUMA Contribution to Officiating: Tim Steinhardt (Central Highlands and Central West Referees' Association)

Petero Medal Day.

Coach of the year- Smith
Petero Medal- Duffy
Meninga Player of the year- Harrison

I don't think any Broncos make the team of the year. Think it will be dominated by Dolphins- Devils and Redcliffe and Cowboys- Pride.

My smokey for front row is Cooper Jenkins.
Would it have been difficult for any of our regular Q Cup players to make the team because they were playing first grade for most of the year?

Forgot about Paix. Always sort of surprises me when a player wins the major award but isn’t in the team of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpeg
    IMG_0366.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 10
Heading to the game on Sunday with my old man, looking forward to it. Haven't watched footy at Kayo in a while.

Interesting thought though, if Kevvie is out the door, I wonder if we might see Paix make a return partnering with Mozer.

Why did they Broncos not give this kid a run ?
They've had a good look at him over the years. He's got a great strong carry and the Magpies rely on it heavily. However outside of that he makes some very questionable decisions and doesn't have the speed or co-ordination to make up for it.

Considering how things panned out, it wouldn't have hurt the Broncos. However it would have been an out and out depth selection to give one of their players a spell.

I'm shocked that Paix was preferred over Rimbu. I'm happy that a Broncos affiliate got it, but I spent more time thinking what could have been than actually being impressed. Really thought things were going to turn around for him after the Capras, but it seemed like his season peaked there, whereas Rimbu kept going from strength to strength.

I don't think EQW has ever shown NRL qualities for long enough at the right time.

The Dogs gave him a chance and he played one game; I'd say Cup and maybe depth number 30 in a squad is his level.

Maroons head trainer Barra epitome of Queensland spirit​

Humble, hard-working Queensland Maroons head trainer Matt Barradeen is this year's recipient of the FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award.
The award is for the person in camp who makes the greatest contribution and exhibits what the Queensland spirit is all about.
Barradeen - or Barra, as he is more affectionately known - works tirelessly behind the scenes to help ensure Maroons camps run as smoothly as possible, often going above and beyond.

Barra first worked in Maroons camp in 2011 and 2012, then got called back in 2019 and has been a vital cog in the Maroons machine since.
Barra during the 2024 series. Photo: NRL Imagery
Barra during the 2024 series. Photo: NRL Imagery
Balls pumped to the correct PSI; Barra is all over it. Players remaining hydrated during training and games; Barra is all over it. Speaker sorted and excellent play list on; Barra is all over it. Game day sustenance, including an excellent lolly selection; Barra is all over it.
Whilst these tasks are not even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Barra’s contribution in camps, they highlight some of the smaller things he does that mean so much.
Barra was presented the jersey by Wally Lewis at the QRL Awards on Friday.
Fitting as the award is a tribute to Former Origin Great Peter Jackson, who played 16 games for the Maroons; the most famous was when he stepped into five-eighth for an injured Lewis in Sydney in 1988 to inspire Queensland to an against-the-odds win.
As the FOGS put it, “Jackson was a fiercely proud Queenslander and an inspirational player who put the team ahead of everything else”.
Barra receiving his award. Photo: Josh Woning/QRL
Barra receiving his award. Photo: Josh Woning/QRL
Barra, at the Brisbane Broncos now but was previously at Melbourne Storm, said Slater told him the choice to give it to him was simple.
“I'm blown away and speechless,” Barra said.
“Billy gave me a ring to let me know. It was funny, he was a bit hesitant to say, so I actually thought I was getting the flick… but when he said I was getting it, I couldn't speak because I just love doing what I do and there's so many other people you work with, who work so hard around you, that make it easy for you to work hard.

“Billy's biggest thing was there wasn't too much hesitation when they spoke about what the award is actually for. Just the fact that my work ethic and the hard work I do behind the scenes, and late at night, doesn't go unnoticed.
“It was just a massive surprise. At the same time, it's a very proud achievement because when I got home and told my kids, they were absolutely stoked for me.”
The Ipswich product, visibly chuffed, said it was so nice to get the call from Slater, who he worked with at Storm, noting it was a conversation with Slater years ago that made him comfortable working without accolades.
“It’s funny. When he was playing, when I was at the Storm, I was strapping him one day and he actually said to me... he goes, ‘Barra, you do 1000 jobs and you get 999 of them right and you stuff one up for one person and they blow up’. He goes ‘you do so much’… it was probably that conversation that made me comfortable that I didn't need accolades to know that people appreciate what I do and know what I do contributes,” Barra said.
“It's quite often the players, they don't say anything but they notice the hard work that you do for them, which makes their job a lot easier.
“My biggest thing is if only one person has to stress about something then the rest can get on with their jobs… that one person should be me.”
And there in lies why Barra received the award.
Barra with his award. Photo: Erick Lucero/QRL
Barra with his award. Photo: Erick Lucero/QRL
Reflecting on his time with the Maroons, Barra said his favourite year was 2020 when the entire squad and staff was bubbled for more than one month during COVID times and played the games in November.
“The bubble Origin was outstanding… it was a good bunch of blokes who just wanted to be there… really good bunch of blokes who were keen and excited to play for their state,” Barra said.
“Game wise I don't think you can go past Dozer's intercept. It was pretty outstanding and my kids were lucky enough to be ball kids for that one. If you watch the footage, you seen them running up the sideline cheering him on… that was pretty special.”

Noting the Hostplus Cup grand final between Redcliffe Dolphins and Norths Devils is this weekend, it should be noted Josh Kerr, playing for the Dolphins, received the FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award following the 2020 series in the bubble.
“He was an absolute vibe. Showed me the masterclass of Wayne too, he teed up with Josh to keep energy up... master stroke,” Barra said.
“Love the big freaky boy, he's a good bloke, and I'm glad to be part of that now too.”

FOGS Peter Jackson Memorial Award recipients​

2002 – Chris “Choppy” Close
2003 – Michael Pease
2004 – Dick “Tosser” Turner
2005 – Dave Ryan
2006 – Darren Lockyer
2007 – Shaun Berrigan
2008 – Kevin Walters
2009 – Roy Saunders
2010 – Steve Price
2011 – Petero Civoniceva
2012 – Johnathan Thurston
2013 – Brent Tate
2014 – Steve Walters
2015 – Justin Hodges
2016 – Billy Slater
2017 – Johnathan Thurston
2018 – Josh Papalii
2019 – Cameron Munster
2020 – Josh Kerr
2021 – Kurt Capewell
2022 – Ben Hunt
2023 – Lindsay Collins
2024 – Matthew Barradeen

Active Now

• Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.