NEWS Why Smith believes that Broncos players deserve more heat than Walters

BHQArticleImageLarge121

SEN’s Cameron Smith has labelled calls for the Brisbane Broncos to sack coach Kevin Walters as premature as pressure mounts on the underperforming powerhouse.

The Broncos were expected to compete for a Premiership in 2024 but have failed to deliver on those expectations and bowed out of finals calculations after an embarrassing 40-6 loss to cross town rivals the Dolphins.

Smith believes the playing group must take more accountability for their performances over the 2024 season rather than Walters.

“There is all this talk around Kevvie’s position and whether he should be the coach,” Smith told SENQ.

“They are jumping the gun if they get rid of him. That’s jumping the gun.

“You have to take into account what the team did last year. It was a fair effort to make a Grand Final and let’s be honest, they should’ve won it.

“It’s gone wrong this year so they need to sit down pretty quickly and do a full review as an entire squad and be brutally honest with each other.

“It’s the only way you can move forward and people need to put their hands up and admit they weren’t good enough.

“That’s senior players and the coaching staff. All of it.

“When you pull on the Broncos jersey, you have got to be prepared to play every week because other teams are coming to get you.

“The attitude is entirely up to the players. You can coach players in skill, tactics and technique but attitude comes down to the individual and how much they want to go out there and make sacrifices.”

The Broncos' depth has been tested significantly throughout the year with star players such as Reece Walsh, Adam Reynolds and Payne Haas spending extended stints on the sideline during the season.

Smith said the Broncos players should take inspiration from Penrith who have proven themselves to be the model of consistency.

“They haven’t had the same hunger or motivation that they had last year,” Smith said of the Broncos.

“I had them as Premiership favourites. It’s gone the other way.

“They haven’t put in the work needed to go again. Penrith have made four Grand Finals in a row and if they make it this year then it’ll be five. It’s just incredible.

“They are a side and a group of individuals who are willing to work hard and make sacrifices every week.”

The Broncos end their 2024 campaign with a Thursday night blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium against Minor Premiers Melbourne.

SEN

He said a lot more than that:

Is Cam interested in becoming (an assistant) coach? I know playing talent doesn't necessarily mean coaching talent, but he seemed to understand and control the game better than any player I've ever seen, there must be something to it.

Is Cam interested in becoming (an assistant) coach? I know playing talent doesn't necessarily mean coaching talent, but he seemed to understand and control the game better than any player I've ever seen, there must be something to it.

That said......it could be easily argued that Wally Lewis wasn't a great coach.

I think Smith would be different.

Smith will never be associated with the Broncos.

It's quite interesting in the Sydney press, at least 3 articles in the Daily Tele this morning written by Pete Badel focusing on the players being at fault for your downfall, rather that the coach. Maybe this is News Limiteds' way of trying to move the heat away fron Kevvie to instead blame Walsh, Mam etc.

It's quite interesting in the Sydney press, at least 3 articles in the Daily Tele this morning written by Pete Badel focusing on the players being at fault for your downfall, rather that the coach. Maybe this is News Limiteds' way of trying to move the heat away fron Kevvie to instead blame Walsh, Mam etc.

There is only one member that we are aware of on this forum that believes anything Badel says...and even he won't believe this because it stands up for Kevvie.

Shut the **** up and sign another contract **** wit.

There is only one member that we are aware of on this forum that believes anything Badel says...and even he won't believe this because it stands up for Kevvie.

Honestly , sport journalism is Australia is an absolute shitshow.

I don't want to see us turn into a litigation country but 100% some of these journos should be taken to court so they stop writing absolute dribble. Should be illegal and some countries would absolutely not stand for this shit.

I'll take it, i for sure said the players deserve as much if not more heat than Kev for our position, and if future immortal and all time great Cam Smith says it, there has to be some merit to that.

I had folks in here give me a hard time for that opinion, but it seems im not alone in thinking it.

One thing with the storm is that their playing group do not accept mediocrity... if you aren't meeting standards you're blacklisted and out the door.

This means that all the flogging, etc. isn't just coming from the coach.. it's coming from fucking everywhere.

They have the toughest off season every year, because top to bottom they know a strong preseason is needed to set your base as a club... you can't make it up throughout the year.

If you don't last the preseason you're done at the storm.

When Parker and co talk about coming into the broncos and getting flogged by the senior players like Webke, Thorn, etc... that's the kind of environment that we used to be.

Along the way the upper management decided senior players weren't required anymore and we could get by with all these star juniors that are bigger and faster than the kids they played against in 16's.

Toyota cup onwards and that class of 08 was probably an early signal to the loss of standards at the club, because we went all in on them and it led us to a whole heap of nothing.

Our standards are so low because that is what the playing group want. Every time we bring a coach in to push them they complain and it goes back to the shit show we see now. The standards need to be driven by our players.

One thing with the storm is that their playing group do not accept mediocrity... if you aren't meeting standards you're blacklisted and out the door.

This means that all the flogging, etc. isn't just coming from the coach.. it's coming from fucking everywhere.

They have the toughest off season every year, because top to bottom they know a strong preseason is needed to set your base as a club... you can't make it up throughout the year.

If you don't last the preseason you're done at the storm.

When Parker and co talk about coming into the broncos and getting flogged by the senior players like Webke, Thorn, etc... that's the kind of environment that we used to be.

Along the way the upper management decided senior players weren't required anymore and we could get by with all these star juniors that are bigger and faster than the kids they played against in 16's.

Toyota cup onwards and that class of 08 was probably an early signal to the loss of standards at the club, because we went all in on them and it led us to a whole heap of nothing.
Regarding standards.. I remember watching a story on Jonah Lomu.

Members of the AB team were discussing him coming back into the side after a break, may have been health related, can't remember exactly. What did stick out though was all the players parroting the point: They were cheering for him to get to "The level that we require". When they were talking about the level, it was made clear that AB players wouldn't be accepted if they didn't get there.

They all expressed joy that Lomu eventually achieved the standard required (obviously his kidney issues weren't known at that time).

I wonder where we sit on players hitting fitness/ strength and other standards?

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.