NEWS Why star Broncos centre will be the x-factor for the Battle of Brisbane

BHQArticleImageLarge114

Former Brisbane Broncos star Jharal Yow Yeh believes centre Kotoni Staggs will be an x-factor in the Battle of Brisbane clash this Saturday as his side tries to keep their season alive.

Staggs, who made his State of Origin debut for the NSW Blues in 2022 and has played three Tests for Australia, has been one of the shining lights in an otherwise disappointing season for the Broncos and has been especially impressive in their past two wins over the Cowboys and Eels.

While Brisbane need a win against the Dolphins at Suncorp this weekend to stay in the hunt for the top eight, Yow Yeh said the 25-year-old would be one of the players to watch in the meeting.

“One of the players from the Broncos who’s been playing I think some of his best attacking footy is Kotoni Staggs,” he said on SENQ Mornings.

“We know how powerful he is and I think there’ll be a lot of interest in going his way and that’s where I reckon a lot of points will be scored for the Broncos.”

Yow Yeh, who has had some involvement with Staggs in his role at the Broncos, said he has seen the star centre mature in recent years.

“We’ve obviously watched him grow over the last couple of years at the Brisbane Broncos, we knew leadership was something that maybe was missing a little bit but you can tell he fights for his teammates now and he puts the team first,” he said.

“He’s standing up and anyone knows who’s played this game that it’s not easy to play that role, especially throughout the year when we lost Adam Reynolds for a big period of time, we were urging for someone to stand up.

“Kotoni has definitely been that guy.

“I’ve been lucky enough before I left the club to be around him and to watch him develop and he’s turned into an absolutely amazing young man, not only on the field but off the field.

“I’m sure he’ll put a huge footprint on (the Redcliffe game).”

The Broncos face the Dolphins and the Melbourne Storm in their last two games with both at Suncorp Stadium.

SEN

Him being 25 shocked me. He's matured the last couple of years and has that 27-29 y/o leader type of feel. I guess he debuted young and hit his straps immediately which is why he's been around for so long already.

I'm worried he's playing a little too good atm. A few years back he said in an interview that he had to chill with the crazy stuff because he was getting too many injuries. I was happy with him being an elite defender and taking some hard runs every once and a while but it appears he's gone back into crazy mode. It's entertaining though and hopefully he doesn't get injured.

Him being 25 shocked me. He's matured the last couple of years and has that 27-29 y/o leader type of feel. I guess he debuted young and hit his straps immediately which is why he's been around for so long already.
Was about to comment this exact same thing

I love Staggs He is such a violent player with his attack, when he is on he is out to demoralise the opposition, it's a shame he doesn't have the size for his ability, if he was GI size he would be better then him imo, the guys fending ability given his size is pound for pound the best the game has ever seen.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Manofoneway
  • Footy Fanatic
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Allo
  • Griffo
  • Viti
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.