Will the Pearl's try scoring record ever be broken?

As thread title

• Yes (By a current player)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Yes (but not from the current stock)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Most Tries For Club
  • 142, Steve Renouf (1989–1999)
  • 122, Darren Lockyer (1995–2011)
  • 121, Corey Oates (2013–)
  • 120, Michael Hancock (1988–2000)
  • 110, Wendell Sailor (1993–2001)
  • 100, Allan Langer (1988–1999, 2002)
  • 77, Shaun Berrigan (1999–2007)
  • 73, Justin Hodges (2000–2001, 2005–2015)
Even the GOAT Lockyer fell 20 tries short, although I reckon he would have given it a fair shake if he stayed at Fullback for the duration. As would have Jharal if his tragic end didn't occur. Oates won't get there now that his career is essentially on life support, but surely he finds a way to jump Locky before it's all over.

I reckon Walsh and Mariner can give it a good shake from the current mob. You would think Arthars as well but he doesn't seem to be an overly prolific try scorer.

Most Tries For Club
  • 142, Steve Renouf (1989–1999)
  • 122, Darren Lockyer (1995–2011)
  • 121, Corey Oates (2013–)
  • 120, Michael Hancock (1988–2000)
  • 110, Wendell Sailor (1993–2001)
  • 100, Allan Langer (1988–1999, 2002)
  • 77, Shaun Berrigan (1999–2007)
  • 73, Justin Hodges (2000–2001, 2005–2015)
Even the GOAT Lockyer fell 20 tries short, although I reckon he would have given it a fair shake if he stayed at Fullback for the duration. As would have Jharal if his tragic end didn't occur. Oates won't get there now that his career is essentially on life support, but surely he finds a way to jump Locky before it's all over.

I reckon Walsh and Mariner can give it a good shake from the current mob. You would think Arthars as well but he doesn't seem to be an overly prolific try scorer.
If Oates didn't get his face broken in 23 I think he would of got there or very close.

There's a few in the current crop who have the potential. Walsh, Mam, Mariner, Cobbo.

Cobbo 22 - 42 tries
Mariner 21 - 25 tries
Mam 21 - 33 tries
Walsh 22 - 23 broncos tries

I think club try scoring records will be hard to break because players with long careers at one club players will be fewer.

9 of the Broncos top 10 are one club players.

Cobbo is 42, is he going to hang around for another 101 tries?
Staggs 51 tries

I doesn't have to be a current Bronco it could be Briathen Scott but when you just look at current Broncos and league in general, I think they will get rarer.

If Mariner gets moved back to wing I could see it, half his tries are only possible due to his speed.

Renouf's conversion rate is amazing. 183 games for 142 tries for the broncs, 59 games for 43 tries for Wigan. Hancock took nearly 100 more games (274 for the broncs) to get 22 less tries.
Lockyer had 355 games, but yeah as someone else had said, he likely would have got a bag more if he had at fullback his whole career.
Renouf was one of the most balanced runners of the ball I have ever seen, for someone to beat him, it'll take a special effort.
And that fend!!
The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

I can’t see it happening. For the record to be broken it would need to be a winger who plays 10 plus years with us. All the young players think they are too good to be wingers and leave us to chase opportunities in the spine elsewhere (like Hoffman or Issako). Until that changes the record is safe.

I think anyone that's playing outside Walsh for a career is a chance.
Oates had Darius setting him up for a big chunk of his.
If there's a guy like a Mariner or Cobbo that wants to sit on the wing and catch whatever Walshy throws their way and score tries for fun.
Ezras support play is what could get him up there

I think anyone that's playing outside Walsh for a career is a chance.
Oates had Darius setting him up for a big chunk of his.
If there's a guy like a Mariner or Cobbo that wants to sit on the wing and catch whatever Walshy throws their way and score tries for fun.
Ezras support play is what could get him up there
Only problem is these days wingers are just content with being wingers. They all think they are fullbacks or centres and if they start leading the comp in tries scored say to other clubs sign me to play those positions instead.

I think Corey Jensen has now set his sights on his new target.

Lockyer would always pass to an open support player even if there was a 99% chance he could get the try himself. If he was a more selfish player he would have the gong.

And in another universe Hancock has always ribbed renouf for not passing to him in the gf 92 or 93 I forget which one. He says he should have one more and renouf one less. All jokingly and tongue in cheek of course.

Didn't read the title fully lol, Imo Walsh will beat it probably in his late 20s.

Renouf's conversion rate is amazing. 183 games for 142 tries for the broncs, 59 games for 43 tries for Wigan. Hancock took nearly 100 more games (274 for the broncs) to get 22 less tries.
Lockyer had 355 games, but yeah as someone else had said, he likely would have got a bag more if he had at fullback his whole career.
Renouf was one of the most balanced runners of the ball I have ever seen, for someone to beat him, it'll take a special effort.
And that fend!!
The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • Pablo
  • barker
  • RodF
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Bongo
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.