NEWS Will the real Tristan Sailor please stand up: Kevvie says count on it

BHQArticleImageLarge80

Broncos coach Kevin Walters expects to see the ‘real’ Tristan Sailor on the field as his side prepare to face a resurgent Rabbitohs at Accor Stadium on Friday night.

Sailor – who was called in late to cover for Reece Walsh at fullback – had an uncharacteristically poor performance last week in a disappointing loss to the Sharks, making a number of costly errors that resulted in opposition tries.

However, Walters said the fact that he was even available to play was a testament to his professionalism given he had returned early from surgery on his ankle and backed him to step up from his sinking feeling against the Sharks.

“Tristan didn’t play last week; Tristan is going to play this week, the real Tristan Sailor,” Walters said.

“It is a great opportunity for him the next month with Origin and everything going on. We will get some good football into his legs.

“We are really comfortable with Tristan at the back. He is a good player with a good knowledge of the game. He covers a lot of areas for us at the back.

“His recovery from the surgery he had was amazing. He really showed his professionalism and it is a good opportunity for him now.

“We love having him in the side. He makes the place a whole lot better, even if he is not in first grade.

“At training, he certainly challenges them. He is in first grade at the moment and we’d love to see the best of him tomorrow night.”

Sailor – like the rest of the Broncos – will need to improve markedly from their showing against Cronulla, with the Bunnies coming into the game off the back of two big wins, while Brisbane have suffered back-to-back losses.

The Broncos have named Xavier Willison to return to add some extra firepower to the bench, while youngster Josiah Karapani has been called into the side to replace the injured Corey Oates who was ruled out before their captain's run with a knee complaint.

Much of South Sydney’s return to form has come through the work of their fullback Latrell Mitchell, who since his come back from suspension has scored four tries and produced nine try assists, including six in his past two wins.

Now firmly in the picture for a State of Origin recall in the vacant Blues centre position, Walters is counting on his players not only to shut him down, but to improve on their own games overall.

“Every game is important for us; this game is no different,” Walters said.

“It's an away game for us, (but) we've had a really good preparation this week and we're looking forward to the formation of that preparation.

“We are starting to find form too, (but) for 40 minutes. If we get 80 minutes right, we are a very dangerous side.

“I understand Souths and what they are doing, but I am more excited about us and what we can do in this game.

“You tackle Latrell, that's how you stop him … He will be there tomorrow night the big fella and we will be aware of his presence.

“He has always been a good player and he has always been dangerous; they have some dangerous players for sure, but I am more excited about our guys and what we can bring there.”

NRL.com

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Kevy cracks me up. I think we will see a better display from Tristan this week. He doesnt need to be flashy, just needs to catch the ball and organise our defence. Also want to see Mam earn his pay cheque this week, he should be chomping at the bit to get us over the line tonight! cant wait!

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Kevy cracks me up. I think we will see a better display from Tristan this week. He doesnt need to be flashy, just needs to catch the ball and organise our defence. Also want to see Mam earn his pay cheque this week, he should be chomping at the bit to get us over the line tonight! cant wait!
I also want to see better from Haas.

His performances have been down across the whole year... that is likely associated with his knee, but if he keeps putting his hand up to play origin and first grade then he has to pull his finger out and perform.

This is the first year of his $1.1m deal and his output is well down.

Either put your hand up to rest the knee or perform what is required for the team.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

His performances have been down across the whole year... that is likely associated with his knee, but if he keeps putting his hand up to play origin and first grade then he has to pull his finger out and perform.

Either put your hand up to rest the knee or perform what is required for the team.
mm, do you realise that the alternative is Fletcher Baker. We are clearly better off with 80% Haas provided he doesnt risk further injury to his knee! lol

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013

Yep no excuses, he has to accept the responsibility that comes with being paid that sort of money.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018

Ehh...it might also have to do with dealing with two kitchen sink lunatic parents. The extent of the omni-fucken- shambles they two have caused would be enough to drive any sane son out of their mind.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

Yep no excuses, he has to accept the responsibility that comes with being paid that sort of money.
I suppose you both are right injuries aside. Mam is also on big money and needs to step up massively. Needs to have a good game tonight.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016

It would help if we played around him properly. Hass without an offload is like a Michael Jordon without a jumpshot.

Teams need to be scared of Brisbanes and 2nd phase play, else it's wasting Brisbanes speed and talent.

It's interesting to see how much easier it seems to be for Haas to get an arm free compared to other players. Willison too. Get them targeting shorter combinations in the defensive line.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
There's no defending him tonight, he was shit.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Probably should have went to england because he will struggle to play for us again I feel.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Probably should have went to england because he will struggle to play for us again I feel.

Unfortunately, based on form, its hard to argue, we don't have anyone else really because so much of our centre depth is also down, so we need Cobbs there.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Unfortunately, based on form, its hard to argue, we don't have anyone else really because so much of our centre depth is also down, so we need Cobbs there.
I don't know if it's because he came back from injury a bit too early but he hasn't looked near the player he was in past times for us, that said given his age if he wants anything from his career at this point he has to go to england asap now, it's just not going to happen here at this point.

I will say it now even having Leota debut on wing to make it happen, we would have looked better with Cobbo at Fullback, he was one of the outside backs who actually gave a **** in this game and fullback would have helped him express that.

I feel bad for Cobbo being put in a stupid situation this game where he played centre but defended wing, this was just a bad experiment by Kevvie and he has to learn from that because it shouldn't happen again, Karipani is a legit Oates replacement and has to learn wing, even if pain may come from it.

Mariner did the same thing as a Centre learning wing and look at him now he is legit one of the best wingers in the game.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • whykickamoocow
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.