NEWS Women set for Broncos start-up

Sharks appear to be pioneering the womens game and are already funding a women's team. They're also one of the richest Sydney clubs due to the property development at their field.

I don't follow it too much but it seems like almost every female player appearing on tv is associated with the sharks including the most well known in ruan sims (unless she has changed teams or retired). Are they going to have a women's comp without ruan??

If I were a sharks fan I'd see it as a pretty big kick in the guts considering how much they promote the women's game. I had them as first picked for the comp
I agree, I would too. They have been at the forefront of it for sure. They won't see the financial benefits of the property development for years, they are still currently one of the poorest and least well backed clubs despite the premiership

Is there any rule directly excluding women form playing in the NRL ?

If not, I find it quite sexist that they want to create a league that discriminates against men.

Yes. It's a mens competition, not a mixed.

I'd like to see an award to a club for best combined results (like the old club championship) of both men and women. It would encourage clubs supporters to "buy" into the new competition whilst retaining its independence eg. A team with a men's team at 8th and a women's team at 3rd might place higher than one finishing 7th and 5th respectively. A weekly ladder published on nrl.com to make it official and put on the front of supporters minds.

Sharks appear to be pioneering the womens game and are already funding a women's team. They're also one of the richest Sydney clubs due to the property development at their field.

I don't follow it too much but it seems like almost every female player appearing on tv is associated with the sharks including the most well known in ruan sims (unless she has changed teams or retired). Are they going to have a women's comp without ruan??

If I were a sharks fan I'd see it as a pretty big kick in the guts considering how much they promote the women's game. I had them as first picked for the comp

Geography, NRL didn't want the teams too close together. Dragons got the nod for that area.

Geography, NRL didn't want the teams too close together. Dragons got the nod for that area.

But why? If they were picking one for that area why wouldn’t they pick the one that already has a functioning team?

I'd like to see an award to a club for best combined results (like the old club championship) of both men and women. It would encourage clubs supporters to "buy" into the new competition whilst retaining its independence eg. A team with a men's team at 8th and a women's team at 3rd might place higher than one finishing 7th and 5th respectively. A weekly ladder published on nrl.com to make it official and put on the front of supporters minds.

Coming 5th would be a remarkable result if there are only 4 teams..

Coming 5th would be a remarkable result if there are only 4 teams..
I admit it has some flaws with 4 teams :). I thought there were more: broncos, warriors, dragons, Roosters? that it? It just seems to smack of tokenism with that number.
I like the idea and concept but 4 teams wouldn't exactly excite anyone outside of the supporters of those teams. You could have a round robbin in under a month. Then what? They play again? fair enough. then what? 26 round of league 8-10 weeks of the women's game, with most teams underrepresented, gives me serious cause for concern. I'm guessing it's going to start halfway through the mens nrl rounds and finish before the finals?
I'm not sure the organisers want this to succeed somehow.

I admit it has some flaws with 4 teams :). I thought there were more: broncos, warriors, dragons, Roosters? that it? It just seems to smack of tokenism with that number.
I like the idea and concept but 4 teams wouldn't exactly excite anyone outside of the supporters of those teams. You could have a round robbin in under a month. Then what? They play again? fair enough. then what? 26 round of league 8-10 weeks of the women's game, with most teams underrepresented, gives me serious cause for concern. I'm guessing it's going to start halfway through the mens nrl rounds and finish before the finals?
I'm not sure the organisers want this to succeed somehow.

Don't forget Warriors are one of the teams. Coming 5th is probably not outside the realm of possibilities.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Justwin
  • Griffo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Hurrijo
  • cento
  • Pablo
  • Battler
  • Behold
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Rookie Alan
  • Ondi
  • pennywisealfie
  • lynx000
  • Bish
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mr Fourex
  • Spoon
... and 37 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.