PLAYER Xavier Willison

Jensen has waned a bit from a fantastic start to the year. He’s probably carrying something too. I’m not sure he’s been a starting prop -0 rounds into a season too often either, so it’s understandable he’s tapered off a bit. I back him to come good again around origin when we will really need him to step up.

Big X continues to impress

Inside the next year or two, he'll be one of the best impact props in the game if his progression continues uninterrupted

Sure he's not putting up freak numbers like Haas was, but he's still being eased in and playing about 55% of the minutes which if you were to bring his current stats up to Haas minutes, they are right up there with him

He's slightly bigger in a different way, but still can move and I'm enjoying his cover efforts in defence - again another similarity to Haas where they have no right to be able to get there but do and can really make the difference

We really need to keep him, because he looks right at home in first grade so far and will only get better
Last week X played 20 minutes lass than Haas but managed to just win in metres.

The kid is unreal. He looks as strong or stronger than any other player on the field the way he drags people backwards. Imagine what he’ll be capable of at 25 if he kicks on.

For sure the Dragon, Storm, Panthers, Titans have some brewing for this kid.

For sure the Dragon, Storm, Panthers, Titans have some brewing for this kid.
Should be on the priority list for resigning. Something has to give with our salary cap squeeze. I just can't see how we can keep upgrading people and lose no-one.

Might be a job for Sproj to guestimate our current cap situation and how paying Walsh a cool 1.4 million a year will affect it.

Should be on the priority list for resigning. Something has to give with our salary cap squeeze. I just can't see how we can keep upgrading people and lose no-one.

Might be a job for Sproj to guestimate our current cap situation and how paying Walsh a cool 1.4 million a year will affect it.

what do you mean lose no-one?

this season alone we have lost Capewell, Herbie, Flegler and Palasia

Don't be surprised if the 1.4 being thrown around is media including what third party deals he could hypothetically get they are good for that

what do you mean lose no-one?

this season alone we have lost Capewell, Herbie, Flegler and Palasia
I think the upgrades already given have taken that money: Mam, Hass, Arthur's, Carrigan, Piakura...

Cap has grown, but Walsh's next contract will take most of that growth. I believe Willison is a free to negotiate this November?

We will save 500k a year when Oats retires. There was a list around here about players coming off contract. Riki, Staggs, and Cobbo coming off contract soon I believe?

My point being, I just can't believe we can keep everyone. Willison should be a priority, but he's going to attract serious offer's.

I could be wrong, happens a lot.

Don't be surprised if the 1.4 being thrown around is media including what third party deals he could hypothetically get they are good for that
That's true. But players these days aren't loyal, and they don't leave any money behind. As Joey said, 1.1 million is a steal.

He wants Nathan and Kalyn type money. He hasn't signed for the same reasons Hass kept putting off a million a year offer.

Sorry gents. We spent willisons money on carrigan and haas in the forwards. He is a great player but I suspect some tough decisions will need to be made.

I suspect mozer will be similar eventually. Probably not the next contract but likely the one after if he lives up to his hype.

Spending a heap on Walsh, haas, maam really means we need a mid range halfback and a low range hooker. Smoothy could well be our long term option in the 9. I wouldn't be sad about that.

I mean if the Panthers can afford to keep all of Edwards, Cleary, May, make Tago the highest paid centre in the comp, To'o, Martin, Leota and Yeo plus so many others, there is no reason we can't keep most of our team together.

If someone has to go and I don't believe that is the case, the obvious candidate is Staggs. Mariner can go to centre and we can find a winger. We need to keep Willison. You middle three are so important these days and with Haas, Carrigan and Willison, we have ours for the next decade.

I mean if the Panthers can afford to keep all of Edwards, Cleary, May, make Tago the highest paid centre in the comp, To'o, Martin, Leota and Yeo plus so many others, there is no reason we can't keep most of our team together.

If someone has to go and I don't believe that is the case, the obvious candidate is Staggs. Mariner can go to centre and we can find a winger. We need to keep Willison. You middle three are so important these days and with Haas, Carrigan and Willison, we have ours for the next decade.
Willison is a must keep. Rorters have May and Leniu ffs. Willison is as good or better than both. We need to lick him up

I don't think we will need to lose anyone big like Staggs.
Reynolds money will be available in 26 (which probably goes towards Walsh) Paix, Marty and possibly guys like Oates, Peirira and Hoeter.
Baker also is another player we could cut loose by 26. Jensen will be 32 aswell. I'd be keeping 1 of these 2.
Probably could look at filling some of those spots with development/young guys or real budget options. Few of those guys are wingers/centres. so guys like Trew, Leota come to mind.
The only big upgrade will be Walsh, how much Walsh wants will play a big role in whether we lose anyone or not.

Martys money should go to Willison and replace Marty's spot with a development forward. Martys on 350k atm.
If we replace that spot with a minimum wager, 200k of that is Xavier's.

On that point, Jensen is starting to struggle, in my view anyway. He started the year fantastically well but he’s fallen away quite a bit. There’s an opportunity there for Baker if he kills it in Q Cup.

Willison is a lock in for starting 17 now and so is Hetherington. So it will be interesting to see who gets that final middles spot in the back end of the year. If Jensen continues to fall away, Baker can take it but that said, Big Ben is a shot if he times it right.

Imagine going into finals with this fit and firing:

8. Willison
10. Haas
13. Carrigan

15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura

I think the Broncos need to start throwing their weight around. If the Roosters can get away with what they do and no one even really cares the Broncos can. We have the ability with third parties and business connections in Brisbane to get most of these across the line. Plus we have a team here that is going places.

We are in a position to keep who we want and let go who we want. I can guarantee that Fleggs was allowed to go with X coming through and how imposing he is.

What a lot of people don't get is that once the upgrades have occurred these top players will not be going up much more outside of small bumps when the cap goes up. So the core is settled and then it's about fitting guys in.

Staggs will not be getting upgraded and wouldn't get one going to the Roosters, Cobbo can get more money here through third parties while being close to home. Willison needs a bump to around 500-550k. But we have players to leave that can fill that like people have mentioned.

Reynolds is going and that frees up tpa's for Walsh also and potentially others. I don't see Baker staying on as Tekura will be coming to the point X is now. Have faith in DD to keep who needs keeping.

I think the upgrades already given have taken that money: Mam, Hass, Arthur's, Carrigan, Piakura...

Cap has grown, but Walsh's next contract will take most of that growth. I believe Willison is a free to negotiate this November?

We will save 500k a year when Oats retires. There was a list around here about players coming off contract. Riki, Staggs, and Cobbo coming off contract soon I believe?

My point being, I just can't believe we can keep everyone. Willison should be a priority, but he's going to attract serious offer's.

I could be wrong, happens a lot.
reckon gus will be sniffing round for the dogs,they need a willison type forward imo

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Thelmus
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • Mr Fourex
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Morkel
  • Stix
  • lakers133334
  • Browny
  • Fitzy
  • Fatboy
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.