Yow Yeh beats female silver gold medalist

P

Pumba

BRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty fly, for a white girl
Marissa Calligeros

For Brisbane Broncos used to gruelling pre-season training sessions, the chance to race a 'girl' may have sounded like an opportunity to put the feet up before Christmas.

But not when that 'girl' is Beijing Olympics silver medal winner Sally McLellan, out to prove to the boys "white girls can sprint too".

The 22-year-old Australian Olympic hurdler today lined up trackside against seven league players at the University of Queensland, where the Broncos train pre-season.

McLellan ran with the trademark gutsiness she mustered to snare a historic silver medal in the 100 metre hurdles at her first Olympic meet this year.

During today's 40 metres dash, however, McLellan was outshone by teenage Bronco Jharal Yow Yeh.

Winger Yow Yeh is three years' McLellan's junior, but at 82 kilograms and 187cm, he towered over his petite female competitor.

McLellan admitted she wasn't expecting to beat the burly teenage Bronco, despite finishing a creditable mid-field.

"He's fast," McLellan said.

"I wasn't expecting to beat them today, but I came to show them what female sprinters can do."

But what if the Broncos were made to jump hurdles?

"They're quite big boys for a little girl," McLellan said.

"I'm sure they could have held their own."

McLellan has swept through the Australian sporting landscape since screaming "Oh my God" as she crossed the finishing line in Beijing.

Now confident her best running is ahead of her, McLellan has her sights firmly set on London gold, and has resumed training.

McLellan's silver was Australia's first Olympic track medal post-Freeman. And like Cathy Freeman, hers is a remarkable story of perseverance.

She hopes to continue running to 2016.

"Hopefully if I stay in shape," she said.

"It's a long, long way away and I plan to just take one race at a time."

Today, she trumped several of her male competitors - a sign perhaps that we will see McLellan (complete with the metal stud in her tongue and sparkling gold fingernails) standing atop a London podium.

Link

I don't now what shes trying to prove.

I think it was just a bit of fun, apparently she's a Broncos fan, so she would've loved having that run. The journo was the one stating "prove".

I got to play a game of touch footy last week against Shaun Berrigan, I loved it and really pushed myself when opposing him - I wasn't trying to prove anything. To tell you the truth, I would give anything to have one training session with the Broncos, not to prove anything, just to have that experience.

Exactly. (And I can't believe you got out of the house to play touch footy, jealous muchly!)

Why do you think she wanted to prove something, broncospwn? What was there to prove? It's a nice feel good sports story that's all.

Sally's great, so refreshing to have an athletics champion who isn't a stuck up prima donna like Freeman and Pittman.

Lol, if she wanted to prove something she woulda probably trained for it. She hasn't run since the Olympics, and she was still competitive.

Saly is teh orsm!

I know you're angry right now Coxy, so I'll pretend you didn't say that about Freeman so we can still be friends.

Sorry, I don't like Freeman. My right as an Oshtrayan.

Oh, sorry, no, you just said Freeman is shit.

There was no need for it. Comment was unnecessary. [icon_shady [icon_razz1

I never said she was shit. I said she was a stuck up prima donna. There's a difference :P

if that's what you want to think :P

back on topic. Yay Sally!

Yay Yow Yeh!

Yeah I was a bit lucky, Iris' sister was over, and I was trying to get my sleep patterns right, so I was allowed to help out a friend's touch team, lucky for me the other team had Shaun Berrigan as a ring in. Damn, he's still such a good player, especially out of dummy half. Agree with your post as well.

Cool. I have February 9 as my oztag playing comeback date!

Rep training starts in January, hope I can do that too.

yeah so? shes a girl. brad thorn wouldve beat her :P

pennywisealfie said:
yeah so? shes a girl. brad thorn wouldve beat her :P

I doubt that, he was/is as slow as a wet week...and he is about twice her size in weight and height [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

He's still the cheeseburger champion though.

I know, I have trained and trained but just can't compete with him.

Active Now

• Bish
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.