2023 Team of the Year

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Sproj was kind enough to share his team-list and I'm curious to see some more. So without further ado, this is my rough draft. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and why I'm wrong. 😄

1. Reece Walsh - I too like to live dangerously. There's certainly a recency bias, but Reece is arguably the most dangerous player in the competition and his form has only risen since his suspension. Plenty of competition here with Drinkwater, Edwards, Ponga, CNK, Gutho, Latrell etc. but I'm leaning towards Walsh.

2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - After some trying times, it's nice to see DWZ live up to his potential and provide that spark for the Warriors. Tough carries, can score a try, what more could you want?

3. Herbie Farnworth - The centre position has been like musical chairs and while the music is still well and truly going, Herbie has been the most consistent centre all season and has looked inspire to end his time at the Broncos on a high note.

4. Izack Tago - Was coming into his own before injuries brought him to a grinding halt. I still think he has enough runs on the board to keep players like Campbell Graham, Will Penisini, Bradman Best etc. at bay but things could change.

5. Brian To'o - There's no better back three in the competition than the Penrith Panthers trio and of the two wingers, I'd have to lean towards To'o. I doubt he'll receive recognition because he's had better seasons, but I still appreciate what he and Turuva bring more than the other wingers.

6. Cody Walker - Still the best ball-player in the competition and his combination with Murray and Latrell feels like a cheat code at times.

7. Shaun Johnson - Has bounced back to his best after recovering from his knee injury and has been a joy to watch this season. Still has Cleary, Reynolds, Hynes etc. breathing down his neck but I'll give SJ the nod for now.

8. Addin Fonua-Blake - Is just a wrecking ball through the middle and constantly wins the ruck.

9. Harry Grant - It hasn't been a great year for dummy halves and even Grant at times has looked mortal. However no other dummy half has been as instrumental to their side as Harry. Melbourne should be going through a rebuild, yet Harry is one of the key reasons why they're in the hunt for a Top 4 spot.

10. Payne Haas - Just as it seemed like Haas had become nothing but a metre sponge, he developed some venom in his runs and has rediscovered his 2019 form. The Broncos go to another gear when he returns to the field and so many of their last ditch wins can be traced to his efforts.

11. David Fifita - After a disappointing 2022, Fifita has bounced back to his scintellating best and re-established himself as one of the most destructive runners in the game.

12. Briton Nikora - One of the best line-runners in the game and is one of the most potent weapons in the NRL. After getting back to his best last year, Nikora has taken his game to another level and he's having a fantastic season.

13. Patrick Carrigan - Has returned from the World Cup a much more mature player and has continued to get better as the season has progressed. His ball-playing has improved leaps and bounds and has really mastered his work in defence.

That's my rough draft surface level feeling the vibe take. I'm nothing if not fickle and I could have a brand new XIII by the weekend.

However I just wanted to get the ball rolling, if you were picking a team based on 2023, what would it look like?

I'll give it a crack as a first pass. Would like to pick a bench as well, but might do that later.

1. Walsh - I don't know if anyone else really is that close to Walsh this year. Teddy is well down on form, Turbo has been injured all year. Latrell hasn't really taken off at all this year. Drinkwater is coming home strong, but cows were rubbish to start the year. Gutho has been solid, but that's his every year and Walsh is well above that. Edwards is probably his only real competition, but Walsh dominating origin on the back of being everything for broncos gets it for me

2. To'o - To'o is probably the premier winger in the comp at the moment and his form is still just the same year on year. Averages like 200m a game, is somehow never exploited in the air and if he's ever given the ball by his centre he's finishing it 9/10 times.

3. Herbie - I've got Herbie as one centre, but it's probably neck and neck between Herbie, Gagai and Graham. I've gone Herbie when consistency and quality of performance is brought into it. I'm not sure if Herbie is actually leading any of the stats outright, but he's right up there for all of them. His work rate in yardage is vital for the broncos and will be a massive loss next year. He's not got many try assists, but currently has 11 tries, which is a decent output from him.

4. Dane Gagai - I've gone Gagai as the other centre, because the numbers just don't lie. He's averaging more run meters than Herbie per game, far more tackle breaks than both Herbie and Staggs, similar offloads to Herbie, but more than Staggs and more try assists than both Herbie and Staggs. His defence doesn't seem as much of a liability this year and his tackle efficiency is slightly better than Staggs, but well down on Herbie. The only thing he's lacking is tries, but everywhere else he's been up there.
It would be neck and neck with him and Herbie... with Herbie being a far better defender and his tries equalling Gagai's try assists. Campbell Graham has been super solid for souths this year with his presence on the right basically creating a right side attack for them. His defence is better than Gagai's, but he has nowhere near the output of Herbie and Gagai in yardage. Outside of them and Staggs is having a great year, but generally lower than Gagai and Herbie across the board. Timoko is about the only threatening player in the raiders team and has been quite good for them and Tass has been surprisingly solid for the bunnies in what looked a weak spot for them.

5. Isaako - My other wing candidate would be DWZ, but I went with Isaako over him, because I think Isaako has just been more solid across more winger requirements than DWZ. Isaako is finishing every try that comes his way, has been safe on kicks, is miles ahead in the point scorer race and his poor defensive reads are basically gone. His resurgence this year at the dolphins has been ridiculous.

6. Probably Cody - Not been a great year for five eights... Munster has been up and down throughout the year. Brown was going well, but then got himself into trouble... and then who else is there? Dearden is probably right up there for 6's this year as it was him carrying the cows until Drinkwater found form again.... and **** Luai.

7. Shaun Johnson - A lot of good halfback choices this year and probably neck and neck with Reyno, but I feel Reynolds is allowed to take a back seat every now and then with Walsh in the side, whereas SJ has probably had to be the main man for warriors all year. Cleary can't get it because he missed 6 weeks or so through injury. Moses probably misses because his team's form has been down, but it's probably been his best year personally (especially post-origin). Same for DCE, but he had a great origin and is doing everything for manly with no Turbo and Schu doing nothing all game.

8. AFB - Stand out prop along side Haas. Playing huge minutes for a prop and is impacting on games with offloads and nice line running around the ruck. Appears to have cut the crap out of his game as well and just gets on with the job.

9. Harry - Been a poor year for hookers all round really. I'd say JMK was giving Harry a run for his money and would've taken it out had he not been injured so much this year.

10. Haas - Automatic selection normally, but this year his game has evolved a fair bit. He's found an offload and his second stints are more pivotal than his first stints. He's also finding himself out on the edge a lot more to provide more devastating runs. Probably been Haas' best year in first grade I'd say.

11. Fifita - Been a standout year for Fifita and has been easily the best second rower in the comp.

12. Nikora - Been a breakout year for Nikora and always presenting a threat for Nicho on the right side. Probably runs the hardest line in the comp and somehow keeps catching them and taking contact. Other notables could be KK and Haumole, but both have fallen away across the year. Martin is a gun, but he's been injured a lot. Sorenson has come from nowhere, but hasn't been starting all year so feel there's not enough for him to get it over others

13. Patty Carrigan - This is basically between Patty and Yeo. I personally feel like Murray is the best lock in the comp, but he's been way down on form this year and has looked bashed up. For me Patty gets it, because he has easily outplayed Yeo at origin level and he looks a far more complete player this year in a broncos jersey.

1. Reece Walsh
2. Dominic Young
3. Matt Timoko
4. Isaac Tago
5. DWZ
6. Tom Dearden
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Payne Haas
9. Harry Grant
10. Addin Fanou Blake
11. David Fifita
12. Scott Sorenson
13. Isaah Yeo

So I put mine in the other thread but to hijack it on a bit of a tangent, with the internationals announced at the end of the year? Who is your Australian team?
I am assuming the Pacific guys aren’t available.

For me:
1. Walsh
2. Tuilagi
3. Mitchell
4. Staggs / Graham if Staggs plays for Tonga and Hammer plays for Samoa
5. Cobbo (assuming Too picks Samoa)
6. Munster
7. Cleary
8. Tino
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Murray
12. Martin
13. Carrigan

14. Ponga
15. Yeo
16. Collins
17. Fifita

So I put mine in the other thread but to hijack it on a bit of a tangent, with the internationals announced at the end of the year? Who is your Australian team?
I am assuming the Pacific guys aren’t available.

For me:
1. Walsh
2. Tuilagi
3. Mitchell
4. Staggs / Graham if Staggs plays for Tonga and Hammer plays for Samoa
5. Cobbo (assuming Too picks Samoa)
6. Munster
7. Cleary
8. Tino
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Murray
12. Martin
13. Carrigan

14. Ponga
15. Yeo
16. Collins
17. Fifita
think ponga should be picked since he ruled himself out of SOO?

So this is based first on where they normally play, with good rep games boosting them a bit, I would have Young over Tuilagi but he plays on the same side as DWZ who I think has been the best this year from any Winger.

1. Walsh
2. Tuilagi
3. Timoko
4. Tago
5. DWZ
6. Walker
7. Johnson
8. AFB
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Olakau'tu
13. Carrigan

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Midean
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.