2024 NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Maybe going home on unders? He doesn't really have anything else to prove so moving back to NZ and possibly win another premiership with them would be appealing I guess.

What I don't get is releasing him with 2yrs to go on his contract. Credit to the panthers for doing that, he owes them nothing, but I wonder what they have coming through that makes them willing to do it.

Yeah it is all very interesting and very happy for NZ too, its good to have a strong Warriors side and they look like they are set for a very strong run at the premiership over the next couple of years.

But pretty funny that the idea of the salary cap is to make the competition more even and one of the top four teams from last year has been able to bring in:
- JFH
- Capewell
- RTS

Yeah it is all very interesting and very happy for NZ too, its good to have a strong Warriors side and they look like they are set for a very strong run at the premiership over the next couple of years.

But pretty funny that the idea of the salary cap is to make the competition more even and one of the top four teams from last year has been able to bring in:
- JFH
- Capewell
- RTS
JFH - AFB replacement. Probably like for like
Capewell - didn't we have him for like 400k? Hardly breaking the bank
RTS - wouldn't be commanding top dollar after coming back from Union. Guessing he's on 800? Who are the superstars at NZ that would be sucking up their cap?

I think we sound like moaning bitches if you look at our squad comparatively. Poor old Broncos, everyone is against us.

RTS - wouldn't be commanding top dollar after coming back from Union. Guessing he's on 800? Who are the superstars at NZ that would be sucking up their cap?

I think we sound like moaning bitches if you look at our squad comparatively. Poor old Broncos, everyone is against us.

That isn't what I'm saying at all. I am not asking how they can do it, I'm saying it is funny that they can do it because the salary cap is supposed to prevent this.

And for the record, I am an advocate of rewarding development clubs, which NZ are.

But the salary cap is supposed to even out the competition and yet over the last twenty five years, there have been only four GF's that haven't included one or both of Penrith, Brisbane, Melbourne or the Roosters.

I'm saying it is funny that they can do it because the salary cap is supposed to prevent this.

But the salary cap is supposed to even out the competition and yet over the last twenty five years, there have been only four GF's that haven't included one or both of Penrith, Brisbane, Melbourne or the Roosters.
You make no sense whatsoever.

The warriors have been rubbish for years. No one expected them to make the top 4. Overperforming for a single season does not all of a sudden raise the contract value of all their players. Why shouldn't they strengthen? Because they finished top 4 once?

Your next sentence complains of the same 4 teams appearing in grand finals. RIght - so your logic is, we should prevent other teams from strengthening therefore keeping the status quo. Which you don't like.

Ok then.

- JFH
- Capewell
- RTS
Wouldn't blame them if they were cheating the cap. It's the tech for long term success, just look at Melb after they were busted: they kept their key players and cultivated a 'winning' aura because of their win rate in their cheating years

EDIT: I don't think they are breaking the bank for the blokes they've brought in, however. A lot of the players they've signed want to be in NZ. They will also be terrible when SJ retires: they have no real play makers that can steer the side around in his absence IMO.

One has to wonder though, how are NZ going to be able to keep this team together moving forward. We and Penrith are haemorrhaging players and apparently can't afford to keep what we have, NZ have a really strong side and have added RTS + Capewell. Obviously you'd think AFB would cover JFH but even so, some of these blokes are due for a pay rise.

RTS they had the home field advantage .
You`d reckon it would have cost a lot more to get him to the mainland .

Capewell probably took less per season but got a longer contract .

You make no sense whatsoever.

The warriors have been rubbish for years. No one expected them to make the top 4. Overperforming for a single season does not all of a sudden raise the contract value of all their players. Why shouldn't they strengthen? Because they finished top 4 once?

Your next sentence complains of the same 4 teams appearing in grand finals. RIght - so your logic is, we should prevent other teams from strengthening therefore keeping the status quo. Which you don't like.

Ok then.

Well I hope what I'm saying is clear to others but basically, you are assuming I am attacking the Warriors and talking about them in isolation and I understand why you think that but I am not talking about them in isolation, I'm talking about top four teams being able to get stronger is what the salary cap is designed to prevent.

If it helps, it is the same issue with Melbourne and taking Coates off us when we were rock bottom. The Roosters taking whoever they want, including two big name players just this year in Leniu and Young and so on.

Anyway, if it still isn't clear, I'll leave it there.

Luai going to Tigers, Crichton going to Bulldogs, Flegler and Farnworth going to Dolphins. Plenty of examples of players going from top teams to lower teams of the last couple of seasons. This one is like for like and doesn't strengthen or if so only slightly.

This. We look at our edges.. defending teams have to worry about Walsh, mam, piakura, arthars and cobbo on one side.. Reynolds, riki, Mariner, stags and Walsh on the other with pat carrigan, haas, and willison bashing them through the middle... I'd take our team over the wahs any day.

It's not the 1930s. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get from Auckland to Penrith in two days.

And the negotiations wouldn't have been very complex ... There was literally one option for JFH to go to.

Well I hope what I'm saying is clear to others but basically, you are assuming I am attacking the Warriors and talking about them in isolation and I understand why you think that but I am not talking about them in isolation, I'm talking about top four teams being able to get stronger is what the salary cap is designed to prevent.

If it helps, it is the same issue with Melbourne and taking Coates off us when we were rock bottom. The Roosters taking whoever they want, including two big name players just this year in Leniu and Young and so on.

Anyway, if it still isn't clear, I'll leave it there.
Mate I'll be completely honest, I had a **** of an afternoon and some annoying work shit came up just before I posted, so it was probably all rage posting, so I probably came off a bit of a tit. Sorry about that!

I'm talking about top four teams being able to get stronger is what the salary cap is designed to prevent.
Problem is, that the salary cap is only one part which influences how successful a club is (and their ability to attract players). Management, coaches, past success, junior development, loyalty, and even location all play there part. And some clubs have an advantage in those aspects over others.

Haha. Noooooooo there needs to be a long drawn out saga for me to report on
I think Kent is making a fair point and it isn't to do with missing out on writing stories. I mean there is no way that this happened this quick with no talking beforehand. I am sure this happens all the time but the point is why have this rule when it is never enforced?

I think Kent is making a fair point and it isn't to do with missing out on writing stories. I mean there is no way that this happened this quick with no talking beforehand. I am sure this happens all the time but the point is why have this rule when it is never enforced?
It is enforced though. Brisbane had an issue with the Dolphins trying to nab Mariner so they reported it, and the Dolphins were found to be in the wrong and punished. The Panthers don't have any issue here and he seems to be going with their blessing so I don't see a problem or why it needs to be a lengthy process.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncoFan94
  • lynx000
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • BruiserMk1
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • BroncosAlways
  • Porthoz
  • Rookie Alan
  • sooticus
  • Stix
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.