Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

Centre
Staggs, Hoeter, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Karapini

Wing
Cobbo, Oates, Arthars, Hoeter, Leota, Pereira

ETHNO MAP

QLD (18)
Ben Te Kura, Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Coby Black, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Ezra Mam, Israel Leota, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Rogers, Kobe Hetherington, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tristan Sailor, Tyson Smoothy

NZ (7)
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Jordan Riki, Marty Taupau, Xavier Willison

NSW (5)
Adam Reynolds, Fletcher Baker, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous (5)
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga (2)
Delouise Hoeter, Kotoni Staggs

Samoa (3)
Jesse Arthars, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands (2)
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

We lose Herbie and Flegs to Reddy. An international centre and an Origin prop who is a few games away from 100 NRL games. Both now have rep matches and grand final experience. Experience that I think was putting their career and impact in a game on a trajectory to better times and Reddy will be the beneficiary of this. We are not replacing them with like for like players. We now don't have an intimidator that likes to whack opposition forwards and it will be a year or two before Mariner and Willison or Baker feel comfortable and gain confidence discovering what they can and cannot do. A lot of teams will improve on where they finished this year and will definitely be out to get us next season. I just have this shit feeling at the moment that we blew our best premiership opportunity. All the stars had aligned perfectly this year for us but just was not to be. Fortunately, the team showed us what they are capable of and that the supposed best team of the modern era could not compete when we clicked into gear and they had to play near perfect footy to win beat us. Is it too early to feel excited and nervous for next season.

We lose Herbie and Flegs to Reddy. An international centre and an Origin prop who is a few games away from 100 NRL games. Both now have rep matches and grand final experience. Experience that I think was putting their career and impact in a game on a trajectory to better times and Reddy will be the beneficiary of this. We are not replacing them with like for like players. We now don't have an intimidator that likes to whack opposition forwards and it will be a year or two before Mariner and Willison or Baker feel comfortable and gain confidence discovering what they can and cannot do. A lot of teams will improve on where they finished this year and will definitely be out to get us next season. I just have this shit feeling at the moment that we blew our best premiership opportunity. All the stars had aligned perfectly this year for us but just was not to be. Fortunately, the team showed us what they are capable of and that the supposed best team of the modern era could not compete when we clicked into gear and they had to play near perfect footy to win beat us. Is it too early to feel excited and nervous for next season.
What have you seen from Willison, Mariner and Baker that would make you nervous for next year? I am just purely excited. Flegler, Herbie and Palasia are a loss for sure but we still have hard hitters in Riki, Heatherinton and Piakura coming through.

Next year we should be excited that we will have Walters feeding the ball to carrigan who will feed it to Reyno, Walsh or Mam. Our spine is seriously in form and are tearing apart teams at will. Mam even had an injured knee towards the end of the year and still almost did it all himself! We are in the start of what i feel will be our cycle of dominance. Lets not forget before their threepeat the panthers went 11-13 and lost a GF. Pretty much the same as us!

What have you seen from Willison, Mariner and Baker that would make you nervous for next year? I am just purely excited. Flegler, Herbie and Palasia are a loss for sure but we still have hard hitters in Riki, Heatherinton and Piakura coming through.

Next year we should be excited that we will have Walters feeding the ball to carrigan who will feed it to Reyno, Walsh or Mam. Our spine is seriously in form and are tearing apart teams at will. Mam even had an injured knee towards the end of the year and still almost did it all himself! We are in the start of what i feel will be our cycle of dominance. Lets not forget before their threepeat the panthers went 11-13 and lost a GF. Pretty much the same as us!
Thanks for writing this. I am really up and down with positivity/negativity towards the game. I am almost grateful for 2015 propping me for this crap. We make another gf and there will definitely be a "we've faced the worst case scenario, throw it at me footy gods" mentality.

Parker came out and wrote an article about how we won't be able to beat the mental demons. **** you corey Parker I say. Maybe the 2015 squad was just mentally weak (in retrospect that definitely is the case). Ps. At least none of them are married to margaux

Thanks for writing this. I am really up and down with positivity/negativity towards the game. I am almost grateful for 2015 propping me for this crap. We make another gf and there will definitely be a "we've faced the worst case scenario, throw it at me footy gods" mentality.

Parker came out and wrote an article about how we won't be able to beat the mental demons. **** you corey Parker I say. Maybe the 2015 squad was just mentally weak (in retrospect that definitely is the case). Ps. At least none of them are married to margaux

No he didn't.

“It was so hard to get back up the next year,” he said.

“I’m telling you, when we lost in 2015, I would wake up in the middle of the night and run ‘what ifs’ through my head for months and months.

“It was agonising.

“I’m sure there are going to be times in the weeks and months ahead where many of these Broncos guys will say, ‘If I just did this or this, we would have a premiership’.

“They will have to digest it. You can’t just forget about it. You have to confront it and talk about where we need to get better and what do we need to do to come back from this.

“There’s 16 other teams who want to make the grand final next season.

“The Broncos were lucky injury-wise this year, but who knows what happens next year?

“You just don’t know when you will get another chance to win a premiership.

“I didn’t play another grand final for 10 years.”

Lockyer said this loss could be more haunting than Brisbane’s heartbreak of 2015.

The former skipper, now a Broncos board member, also believes Brisbane face additional roster challenges next season following the loss of key duo Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler to the Dolphins, while grand-final prop Keenan Palasia will join the Titans.

“2015 was very cruel and I feel like this was even worse,” Lockyer said.

2015 did definitely steel me for this time.

In 2015, we were favourites. We'd already beaten the Cowboys in the first week of the finals and then snotted the Roosters. We may not have had a 16 point lead but we were in front and expected to win it as our defence was our cornerstone that year.

This year we were up against the NRL's darling club, who have been promoted to almost unbeatable status in order to encourage more clubs to develop players. We stood an absolute fighting chance against them, but we were always going to be the underdogs, and we were always going to be fighting an uphill battle. Being 16-up and losing hasn't made me lament what could have been. Being 16-up against that sort of shit-storm, in a grand final, compared to missing the finals just one year earlier, has me frothing in anticipation as to what we can achieve with our super young squad being another year older and more experienced.

We may not win it next year, we may not win it for another 10 years, but we are sure going to give this crooked competition a fucking crack.

In 2015, we were favourites. We'd already beaten the Cowboys in the first week of the finals and then snotted the Roosters. We may not have had a 16 point lead but we were in front and expected to win it as our defence was our cornerstone that year.

This year we were up against the NRL's darling club, who have been promoted to almost unbeatable status in order to encourage more clubs to develop players. We stood an absolute fighting chance against them, but we were always going to be the underdogs, and we were always going to be fighting an uphill battle. Being 16-up and losing hasn't made me lament what could have been. Being 16-up against that sort of shit-storm, in a grand final, compared to missing the finals just one year earlier, has me frothing in anticipation as to what we can achieve with our super young squad being another year older and more experienced.

We may not win it next year, we may not win it for another 10 years, but we are sure going to give this crooked competition a fucking crack.
I love this positivity and absolutely need it right now.

I've been thinking a lot about how a lot of us said just a week ago that no matter the outcome, we should be proud of our team getting to the GF.

The way we lost really makes it hard to put yourself back in that position from a week ago.

I'm in the boat that 2015 hurt more than this one.

2015 we were favourites and we were the better team on the night... but we failed to close it out because we went too conservative.

Against penrith we were heavy underdogs... and then the way the game played out we should've been behind by like 20pt in the first half.

The frustrating thing is we managed to get ourselves in front and into a position to win the game, but we let it slip... some of it was our fault, but a lot of it was just the relentless nature of the Panthers.

They were far and away the better team on the night.

If we had have won, it effectively wouldve been a smash and grab to steal the premiership.

It's like if a relegation team in EPL was up 2-0 to Man City, but still has to hold on for 30mins... everyone is sitting there expecting City to come storming back at some point and it would surprise no one.

What should give hope is that we still havent played anywhere near our best.

Kevvie has been saying it the whole year... what's been put out there is not our best... and yet we romped home to 2nd on the ladder and in one of our worst performances of the year we were still able to put ourselves in a position to win the premiership.

The keys to our year weren't Flegler and Herbie... they're all still at the club.

The next step for us is to get our best game out on the field every week... and that is where the ruthlessness needs to come from.

I think that game will start to sink into Walsh and co... they've spent the year being somewhat flippant about errors and letting opposition teams get back into the contest.... imagine a ruthless focussed Walsh who knows he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants on the field and decides I'm going to put the foot on the throat and end this every game... instead of just going for Hollywood highlight reel plays and getting complacent within games.

The majority of teams are potentially fearing us already... if we start getting our best game on the field consistently teams will just be going into games expecting a loss... at that point we start romping into top 4 spots consistently and competing for premierships year on year.

I'm in the boat that 2015 hurt more than this one.

2015 we were favourites and we were the better team on the night... but we failed to close it out because we went too conservative.

Against penrith we were heavy underdogs... and then the way the game played out we should've been behind by like 20pt in the first half.

The frustrating thing is we managed to get ourselves in front and into a position to win the game, but we let it slip... some of it was our fault, but a lot of it was just the relentless nature of the Panthers.

They were far and away the better team on the night.

If we had have won, it effectively wouldve been a smash and grab to steal the premiership.

It's like if a relegation team in EPL was up 2-0 to Man City, but still has to hold on for 30mins... everyone is sitting there expecting City to come storming back at some point and it would surprise no one.

What should give hope is that we still havent played anywhere near our best.

Kevvie has been saying it the whole year... what's been put out there is not our best... and yet we romped home to 2nd on the ladder and in one of our worst performances of the year we were still able to put ourselves in a position to win the premiership.

The keys to our year weren't Flegler and Herbie... they're all still at the club.

The next step for us is to get our best game out on the field every week... and that is where the ruthlessness needs to come from.

I think that game will start to sink into Walsh and co... they've spent the year being somewhat flippant about errors and letting opposition teams get back into the contest.... imagine a ruthless focussed Walsh who knows he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants on the field and decides I'm going to put the foot on the throat and end this every game... instead of just going for Hollywood highlight reel plays and getting complacent within games.

The majority of teams are potentially fearing us already... if we start getting our best game on the field consistently teams will just be going into games expecting a loss... at that point we start romping into top 4 spots consistently and competing for premierships year on year.

The fullback comparison for me is massive. Edwards made 306m for his side and broke six tackles- didn't miss a tackle. Hardly has got a mention.

I can't even recall one thing he did during the game. He was safe and brilliant in his safety.

22 GF- 291m, 1 line break, three-line break assists, one try assist, that tackle and nine tackle breaks.

21 GF- 230m- one handling error.

Walsh did a complete mixed bag. Edwards has three premierships now and a Clive Medal.

The style of fullback is up to the individual and Walsh had a great year, but I can't help thinking Walsh needs a bit more Edwards in his game.

Edwards could really have 2-3 Clive Medals he's been that good in the last three.

Nah , they had all the ball in the Broncos end for the 1st half .
They scored from Broncos fck ups .
Broncos went to the break 2 down and with momentum .

Then the Broncos put on 12 more unanswered points . If they had defended like the 1st half they would have won easily .

The only smash and grab was in the last 15 minutes .

I had to use the heart emoji, coz the 🍆 isn’t an option…. Attention mods! Make the 🍆 an option 👍🏻

💯 this. I don’t know why everyone is acting like losing these 2 is setting us back to the Wests fucken Tigers level of shambles…
One (love him) is a fkn penalty magnet and the other is the weak gutted dog that lost us the GF by trying to pass more in his last game than he passed in the last 2 years.

There is a rumour floating around (weidler I think) that the broncos are looking to either trade reyno to the dragons for Hunt or medically retire him so we can keep Mam & Walsh.

Surely this is bollocks!!! I’d rather reyno 1000000% to Hunt and is t hunt more expensive than reyno?

There is a rumour floating around (weidler I think) that the broncos are looking to either trade reyno to the dragons for Hunt or medically retire him so we can keep Mam & Walsh.

Surely this is bollocks!!! I’d rather reyno 1000000% to Hunt and is t hunt more expensive than reyno?
That sounds absurd to generate clicks ... a month ago they were talking about DD in discussions with extending him another year.

Suddenly after getting us to a GF they want to throw all that in the bin and sign Hunt... who wants more money and a longer contract than Reynolds... is older than Reynolds... and has less game management than Reynolds, which is what's needed.

Hunt's game style doesn't suit Walsh and Mam anyway

Sounds like bullshit. Post a link.

It doesn’t have any sense to it. If it were to happen, Hunt would’ve played a cameo this season when the noise was as too much around Origin period. As it didn’t happen, it will not happen at all. Period!

Adam will get us the Premiership. PERIOD Too!!!

Corey Oates has extended for a year, taking a cut. He said this last month:
“Those are the things you have to do (cop a pay cut) when you are an older player and you have been here for long enough. I’ve always known that, but that’s the way it happens when you want to keep a great team together. The way it works these days, if you have to move on, you have to move on. But I have made it pretty obvious in my career that the Broncos is always my place.”​

Active Now

• Midean
  • Morkel
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mister Wright
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
  • Fatboy
  • simplythebest
  • Lozza
  • achievedrap
  • Organix
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.