Fullback
Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

Centre
Staggs, Hoeter, Mariner, Arthars, Cobbo, Karapini

Wing
Cobbo, Oates, Arthars, Hoeter, Leota, Pereira

ETHNO MAP

QLD (19)
Ben Te Kura, Billy Walters, Blake Mozer, Brendan Piakura, Coby Black, Corey Jensen, Corey Oates, Cory Paix, Ezra Mam, Israel Leota, Jack Gosiewski, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Rogers, Kobe Hetherington, Patrick Carrigan, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo, Tristan Sailor, Tyson Smoothy

NZ (7)
Deine Mariner, Brendan Piakura, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Jordan Riki, Marty Taupau, Xavier Willison

NSW (5)
Adam Reynolds, Fletcher Baker, Jock Madden, Kotoni Staggs, Payne Haas

Indigenous (5)
Ezra Mam, Jordan Riki, Kotoni Staggs, Reece Walsh, Selwyn Cobbo

Tonga (2)
Delouise Hoeter, Kotoni Staggs

Samoa (3)
Jesse Arthars, Payne Haas, Marty Taupau

Cook Islands (2)
Brendan Piakura, Xavier Willison

Corey Oates has extended for a year, taking a cut. He said this last month:
“Those are the things you have to do (cop a pay cut) when you are an older player and you have been here for long enough. I’ve always known that, but that’s the way it happens when you want to keep a great team together. The way it works these days, if you have to move on, you have to move on. But I have made it pretty obvious in my career that the Broncos is always my place.”​

I back him to fight his way back into the 17 too.

If he remains injury free and gets some mobility and confidence back, I can see him starting again. The other areas of his game definitely seemed to improve a bit (such as reliability under the high ball and defence), he just lacked the athleticism, possibly due to all the injuries he kept picking up. He's turning 29 this month, he should still be in his prime.

I back him to fight his way back into the 17 too.
He's a great option to have at first drop.. if there's any drop in form or niggling injury then he can get a call up straight away and known to do a great job

Hope they get a shot somewhere. Frei is great, Logan is getting better as he matures too.

I feel for Bayliss because he may not get a new deal anywhere with that knee injury.

Thanks for writing this. I am really up and down with positivity/negativity towards the game. I am almost grateful for 2015 propping me for this crap. We make another gf and there will definitely be a "we've faced the worst case scenario, throw it at me footy gods" mentality.

Parker came out and wrote an article about how we won't be able to beat the mental demons. **** you corey Parker I say. Maybe the 2015 squad was just mentally weak (in retrospect that definitely is the case). Ps. At least none of them are married to margaux
Corey Parker’s team of 2016 couldn’t beat the mental demons. Maybe it was the leadership groups problem. Lucky our current team isn’t the same. I’d say the young guys are drawing more inspiration from the panthers. And the last time Reynolds lost a gf he played pretty amazing the year after.

I think the broncs would love to keep smoothy but they have paix sitting there for the next two seasons.. pointless having 4 hookers at the club. I wouldn't be surprised if they shopped paix around to keep smoothy. If not it looks as though mozer will be blooded next year

Corey Parker’s team of 2016 couldn’t beat the mental demons. Maybe it was the leadership groups problem. Lucky our current team isn’t the same. I’d say the young guys are drawing more inspiration from the panthers. And the last time Reynolds lost a gf he played pretty amazing the year after.

I agree
We are a much better team now than that era. 100%

I think it is more the many variable factors that can play HUGE parts:
- Do we get 'lucky' with injuries again?
- Do we come 1/2 again and win finals week 1 again?
- Do we come 3rd/4th this time and lose week 1?
- If we get to the GF is it Penrith again? (they will have ALL the confidence going in and BRS could be that 1% more nervous, etc.)

Lets call a spade a spade; 2015 and 2023 were lost opps, they all had the classic timeline of:
- come 2nd, solid win week 1, continued to prelim at suncorop, into the GF, had the game 'won' and literally fell short at the death.

Thats not being negative, thats just statin the facts.

Obviously this 2024 team has no demons of 2015.
However to say there would be ZERO nerves if coming up against penrith again in the 2024 GF... I would say thats a lie as well.
ESPECIALLY if the game is in a similar position;
(FOR EXAMPLE:
if 2016 happened to be a bronx vs Cowboys GF, and they had the ball with 1 min to go on our tryline... who has the mental advantage?)
However they need to channel that nervous energy the correct way, and use it as a factor in victory.

As much as I would like to defeat this Penrith team in this current era, I gotta be honest, I don't want to come up against them in the 2024 GF, I'd rather verse them in the PRELIM (esp Suncorp prelim). Take them in 2025/26/27 whatever... I jsut think the Broncos club as a whole... needs to get the premiership drought off our back (esp. from the last 2 losses timeframes and manner).
We need to win the next GF, period.

As much as I would like to defeat this Penrith team in this current era, I gotta be honest, I don't want to come up against them in the 2024 GF, I'd rather verse them in the PRELIM (esp Suncorp prelim).
That might be a good idea. The 2 best games Penrith have played over the last 2 seasons has been in their Grand Finals. Not easy beating one of the greatest teams of all time who save their best for grand final day.

They are pretty good in prelims too though, they haven't lost one and didn't make a mistake against Melbourne until the 60th minute and they'd ended the contest by then.

That might be a good idea. The 2 best games Penrith have played over the last 2 seasons has been in their Grand Finals. Not easy beating one of the greatest teams of all time who save their best for grand final day.

They are pretty good in prelims too though, they haven't lost one and didn't make a mistake against Melbourne until the 60th minute and they'd ended the contest by then.
One way to look at it now is that Penrith played the perfect percentage game against us and Melbourne. They only managed a gifted try against us in the first half where as they’d already blown away melbourne. our defence was great even with all our errors. So did we frustrate them enough with our defence to then allow us the Ezra blitz?

Of course we then switched off enough for the greatest team turn the momentum and the rest is history.

Truth

However, I think just mentally...

I feel like if we are taking the Panthers again in the GF in 24... and lets say we are up by 10 with 20 to go.
Panthers players are thinking "Remember what happened last year" ... they will just have that 1% edge.
Only if its 2024... 2025 and beyong, bring it.
But I'd rather take on someone else in 2024, and get that mental thorn out of this side.

Anyone know the contract status of Ben Te Kura?

Hope they get a shot somewhere. Frei is great, Logan is getting better as he matures too.

Frei is 28 next year and played 49 Cup games since 2019 due to injury- he only managed eight this year.

Plus 36 NSW CUP games when he was at the Roosters and been at three NRL clubs without a go- I think he's reached his level.

Bayliss is heading down the same road, 55 Cup games at 25. He played fantastic football in 23 and I think Hunt was great for him but the knee will take most of next year for him to come back and he's not doing it with the support of an NRL team so probably isn't playing good football again until 2025.

I think Cup is his level.

Bayliss looked disinterested in the trial he played .
Didn`t look like a bloke fighting for a 1st grade spot .
Te Kura outshone him .

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Froosh
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Shane Tronc
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Lostboy
  • sooticus
  • The Don
  • Stix
  • Manifesto
  • MrMoore
  • Rough and Ready
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.