Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Screenshot 20240108 155658

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It does seem like Willison will play rd 1 as Kev suggested he needs to get ready for rd 1. Interesting that Riki won’t be playing trials and will be a bit underdone going into rd 1 but again that will be good to see who they are thinking will be the main back up this season.

He seems pretty confident and excited and that’s always a good sign of how things are going. I just can’t wait to see our spine go to another gear plus a slightly different dynamic in that backline this year. Still as threatening as ever and if we can find our starting point anywhere in the remotest of post codes of how we were playing back end of last year it will be another good year. I think we could definitely improve forward depth still though.

My one concern is we are a second rower short and maybe another middle.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I wonder if we might see Staggs at second row at some point in the trials.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 13, 2017
Slightly off topic but what happened to the cowpats link in the friends of bhq? We no longer frienemys? Am i going to have to bookmark there site for some banter?

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
This seems like a more balanced backline than last year. I foresee cobbo running over the top of his opposite centre a few times.
Is it? Whilst I do really want Cobbo to play left centre I have serious reservations about meterage out of our own half. I wouldn’t say it’s better balance at all personally but I do think there is a lot of potential in this backline for a lot cheaper than what we were spending last year.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Is it? Whilst I do really want Cobbo to play left centre I have serious reservations about meterage out of our own half. I wouldn’t say it’s better balance at all personally but I do think there is a lot of potential in this backline for a lot cheaper than what we were spending last year.
He's a substantial upgrade on Herbie in attack, in my opinion. Not as safe, but way more damaging.

The question is - like Walsh - whether taming his dickfingers might stifle the freak.

I suspect the focus in the preseason will be more on his defence. That might need some attention.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
We do loose a fair bit with Herbie leaving but with Cobbo at centre I think we gain some of it back in other areas.
If Oates makes his way back into the side that makes me feel a lot better about our meterage.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What makes you wonder that?

Well nothing based on anything other than a hunch. We are really light on for second rowers, so if one goes down, what do we do? Would Staggs be the short term answer in that case?

Additionally, it would allow us to have Oates on the bench and basically, when Piaks comes off during the game, Staggs goes to second row, Aquaman to centre and Oates to wing.

This may be a terrible option too but trials are a good time to experiment.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
We do loose a fair bit with Herbie leaving but with Cobbo at centre I think we gain some of it back in other areas.
If Oates makes his way back into the side that makes me feel a lot better about our meterage.
I think if Oates was in the team 100% better balanced without I don’t feel that is necessarily the case. But at the same time I think if Mariner keeps playing good footy and isn’t going to be selected we won’t have him for much longer. I thought Jesse was a lot better at the end of the year with meterage and Deine isn’t a stranger to hard yards but I still reserve doubt. It’s the backbone of a lot of successful clubs recently. In saying that I have felt we have always been a better attacking team from further out so as long as we win the forwards battle we should hopefully be right regardless.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Well nothing based on anything other than a hunch. We are really light on for second rowers, so if one goes down, what do we do? Would Staggs be the short term answer in that case?

Additionally, it would allow us to have Oates on the bench and basically, when Piaks comes off during the game, Staggs goes to second row, Aquaman to centre and Oates to wing.

This may be a terrible option too but trials are a good time to experiment.
I'm sure that could work, and for the reasons you give, but I'd be astonished if it pans out that way. For one, his position is one that's not broken, and he is, incredibly, the incumbent Australian centre. But the subject of who will cover an injury to a back still needs to be solved, and some kind of switcheroo involving Oates looms as the most credible solution.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
What makes you wonder that?
I know it’s looking far into the future.

But I could see a world where Mariner and cobbo are our centres and Staggs gets let go.

Maybe a shit club will pay overs for staggs while we got the best years out of him and then move him on?

Idk, for me it sounds smart and I just see it happening, even tho it’s a long way down the road.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021

It is just amazing how far he has come, you can see he is comfortable as Broncs head coach now and rightly so.
I remember how much respect Dave donaghy gave him as a first year coach and understanding that it would take time.

Idk the **** seems like some messiah, pretty amazing to see how it has all played out since DD got employed.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
i really think its a year too early for him. He still has moments where hes not switched on. Arthars and Mariner would be far safer.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • davidp
  • The Boss
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Griffo
  • Galah
  • FACTHUNT
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.