Alf, Kevvie and Reyno: Three Broncos halfbacks and captains – with 11 titles and counting

BHQArticleImageWaltersLangerReynolds

These three men have all captained the Broncos, worn the club’s No. 7 jersey, and won 11 premierships between them. For now....

Adam Reynolds has the chance to emulate Allan Langer and Kevin Walters by leading the Brisbane powerhouse to a premiership on Sunday.

Langer did it four times. Walters won six premierships, including five at the Broncos, and his last, in 2000, was captain and halfback.

Like Langer and Walters, Reynolds is a master at guiding a team around the park and a natural leader - but even better at keeping the spirits high among the playing group.

Why South Sydney were happy to cut the playmaker loose has been a big talking point this week.

Reynolds, who won the 2014 premiership with Souths, is contracted until the end of 2024, but is likely to go around again in 2025 before eyeing a career in coaching.

Langer said there was one thing that had stood out the most when it came to his cheeky sparring partner this year.

“I just think Adam has really got back to enjoying his footy again,” Langer said. “The enjoyment he gets out of being a part of it all, and seeing these young guys come on, I’m sure he’d relish an extra year [in 2025].

“It’s been the best thing for the club. He’s the playmaker we’ve been looking for. He’s relished living in Queensland. He’s your typical halfback, cheeky, he gives it to me, but we both love having a good time.”

Walters can still remember flying to Sydney with chief executive Dave Donaghy in 2021 to convince Reynolds to make the move north.

“I’m really proud he’s running out in a grand final with the Broncos,” Walters said. “That was plan when we hired him – he was hired gun at the time – he’s fallen in love with us, and we’ve fallen in love with him. He’s just had that calming influence on the whole team.”

It is safe to say Reynolds, Walters and especially Langer will never have to buy a beer in the Queensland capital again, especially if they defeat the Panthers.

Reynolds has always spoken fondly of Walters, and knew what to expect with Langer after seeing and listening to his banter with Wayne Bennett while coach at Souths.

“‘Alf’ still rings Wayne and terrorises him on a daily basis,” Reynolds said. “I’ve always been cheeky and like to have fun. Alf is a joker himself, so it was never hard to hit it off.

“The game has changed so much since Alf played, so we don’t really talk about tactical things. It’s more about making sure there’s passion and mateship [within the group].”

Reynolds has been careful not to pot Souths for only offering him a one-year extension.

Souths fan Jeremy Shannon was impossible to miss at Thursday’s NRL grand final launch at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, decked out in Souths clothes, but waving a Broncos flag, and chanting Reynolds’ name.

“It was so sad to see Adam leave the Rabbitohs, but he had to do what was right for him and his family moving forward,” Shannon said.

“He’s just shown he wasn’t past his use-by date. I was there in 2014 to watch Souths lift the shield, and fingers crossed Adam can do it again on Sunday night with the Broncos. Go Reyno.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.