Areas That Need Fixing for 2017

Composure
Leadership on the field
Game time management- by players and coaching staff

Not being able to close out a few games and the consecutive losses in the season hurt the Broncos finals run.

Hunt and Milford are instinctive players and just seem to play what's in front of them, they need to read the game better. I guess part of that comes with experience.

I would agree on the fitness because when we versed the cowgirls the other night we came out like we were there to smash 40-0 after 15min we were all buggered and had nothing left in the tank and that occurred all throughout the game basically then which left to gaps in our defence which lead to tries. Well its just something to work on through the off season.
The Cowboys game is a bad example of our fitness needing improvement IMO.

that game was one of the fastest, most intense games i have ever seen.

Both teams were out on their feet after 20.

I know it was an intense game but if we train really hard like as fast and intense as that game was we would run out and play 10x better then any other team because we have trained for the tough games like that. Would you agree?

I know it was an intense game but if we train really hard like as fast and intense as that game was we would run out and play 10x better then any other team because we have trained for the tough games like that. Would you agree?

What makes you think we don't train for that? So would the Cowboys though.

Thats the thing though ... every team would train for games like that.

In this case the rivalry and occasion took the speed and intensity to another level, beyond what everyone trains for. And that's where instinct takes over, and a guy like Thurston is the best in the business at closing out those games. We haven't had anyone like that sonce the great one retired.

You also have to be careful not to burn your players out by over training during the season.

.. and look at how the Cowboys performed after that game, they were knackered !

Thats the thing though ... every team would train for games like that.

In this case the rivalry and occasion took the speed and intensity to another level, beyond what everyone trains for. And that's where instinct takes over, and a guy like Thurston is the best in the business at closing out those games. We haven't had anyone like that sonce the great one retired.

You also have to be careful not to burn your players out by over training during the season.

That is true, at least we know what we have to train for now next season when we verse them because every other time when we have versed them they haven't turned up for a game like that like they did the other night. If we get a couple of our forwards a bit more fitter for example Matt Scott the other night was tackling and then tackling and then when in attack he was making a Cpl runs every set, and even the commentators were saying that so if we get a couple of our forwards in shape like that we will be on fire. A few don't have to just a few. It comes down to what someone said above the other day 'Fitness' and that's what we lack in some tough games.

Our fitness is not an issue. We're probably one of the fittest teams in the competition. Our issue is that our roster is a little thin, especially in the forwards. Our pack is having to work extra hard and has to exert maximum effort in each game to be able to match it with bigger opponents. Just the addition of one or two huge props relieves some of the load on our smaller, fitter men, which means they'll have a lot more energy in games when it counts the most. To be able to win the yardage battle, we are working harder than most teams, and in defence, to be able to stop the giants running around in the game today, we're being forced to do more than most teams.

I know some of you will say, that having bigger props means they'll tire quickly, and that can be true to some extent, but that won't be an issue if we use our interchange appropriately. In recent years, we haven't had the right players for our interchange to be a factor in the outcome of the game. This dates back to Griffin's tenure, where he couldn't trust the bench. Bennett is now doing the same. If we can have a team of 17 who can contribute and play their part, that will go a long way. Right now, we're probably playing with 14 or 15 players since the 16th and 17th player rarely get much game time.It means our starting team is playing longer and harder, and over the course of the season, it takes its toll. Add State of Origin to the equation and we're going to struggle against the better teams.

I still reckon our fitness is an issue in some of our games because fatigue gets the better of us sometimes.

True I seen a few games that we have played that we only used some big boys for only 5 to 10 minutes for that game why the other a busting there asses out on the field I think it was the cows game. A big experience boy would be good so we can use a bench flowingly so each prop can have a rest eventually. An experienced prop would be good as well we have signed a few that a young now one or two experienced ones would be good now.

Last edited:
Re Fitness - We looked fit at the start of the season, and again towards the end.

I am fairly certain Bennett likes to get miles in the legs with a mini pre-season towards the back half of the season so we are raring to go in the finals. This leads to us looking sluggish towards the 3rd quarter of the season. We matched the Cowboys in intensity in the finals. I don't think it was an issue.

Regarding use of the bench, unfortunately that is the nature of the beast when we have so many young forwards needing to be developed. There's a general consensus we need to develop the likes of Pangai in first grade, and also that he's gassed pretty quickly... There's not a huge amount we can do about that now, but we must hope it starts to pay dividends in '17 and beyond.

Last edited:
Also add that we were crucified by the referees in the last part of the year (with the exception of the Titan's game) with some brutally inept refereeing that took alot of energy out of us just trying to claw our way back into games. There wasn't anything wrong with our fitness imo.

Also add that we were crucified by the referees in the last part of the year (with the exception of the Titan's game) with some brutally inept refereeing that took alot of energy out of us just trying to claw our way back into games. There wasn't anything wrong with our fitness imo.

All I was saying in different games throughout the season of what I could see our fitness wasn't 100% and even the commentators were mentioning it. A few when we were on a haunches and it sometimes when getting back to our defensive line which left gaps but most of the boys were fine just some individuals.

Just a question what does imo stand for?

Last edited:
Re Fitness - We looked fit at the start of the season, and again towards the end.

I am fairly certain Bennett likes to get miles in the legs with a mini pre-season towards the back half of the season so we are raring to go in the finals. This leads to us looking sluggish towards the 3rd quarter of the season. We matched the Cowboys in intensity in the finals. I don't think it was an issue.

This is correct. Though I believe it's actually more Alex Corvo's doing as this was something he was well known for when he was at Melbourne

Last edited:
In regards to the rule changes, the reduction in interchange was designed to bring back the element of fatigue. It was supposed to eliminate a lot of the wrestle and quicken the game up, which in theory is meant to benefit the more mobile teams and disadvantage the bigger teams. Now in reality, that should of happened, but due to incompetent refereeing, it didn't.

I can't recall any of the bigger teams struggling to adapt to the rule change, and instead all the smaller packs were probably the ones who were negatively impacted by it the most. As long as the referees remain at their current level, the rules won't be properly adjudicated and the bigger teams will always dominate over the smaller teams. We've gained no advantage from the reduction in interchange.

In regards to the rule changes, the reduction in interchange was designed to bring back the element of fatigue. It was supposed to eliminate a lot of the wrestle and quicken the game up, which in theory is meant to benefit the more mobile teams and disadvantage the bigger teams. Now in reality, that should of happened, but due to incompetent refereeing, it didn't.

I can't recall any of the bigger teams struggling to adapt to the rule change, and instead all the smaller packs were probably the ones who were negatively impacted by it the most. As long as the referees remain at their current level, the rules won't be properly adjudicated and the bigger teams will always dominate over the smaller teams. We've gained no advantage from the reduction in interchange.

Teams just give away more penalties to slow the ruck down to negate the 10 man interchange. If anything, the refs need to start sin binning deliberate penalties. James Maloney would be sin binned atleast once a game for this

What happened to Milford fitness? He looked sharp and lean at the start of the season up until the cowboys game where he won us the game. By the end of the season he was pudgy

What happened to Milford fitness? He looked sharp and lean at the start of the season up until the cowboys game where he won us the game. By the end of the season he was pudgy

Yes I agree this is a big worry...

Finger's crossed he can recognise that, and the drop off in form and will be refocused again for next season. Perhaps a bit of complacency/reading too many of his own headlines was an issue.

Hopefully missing the four nations squad will be a wake up call (he did didn't he).

Teams just give away more penalties to slow the ruck down to negate the 10 man interchange. If anything, the refs need to start sin binning deliberate penalties. James Maloney would be sin binned atleast once a game for this

Yeah the deliberate penalty tactic is something Rooster's did successfully since 2013 onward and since then every team has started doing it. It continues to happen because teams have realised the referees aren't brave enough to do something about it. Often those penalties could be classed professional fouls, which would constitute a sin bin. It's why a 5 min sin bin should be introduced. That would sort that out quick smart. I can't imagine a coach would be happy to give away deliberate penalties on their own line if it meant 5 in the bin.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fitzy
  • something
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Browny
  • lynx000
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • azza.79
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • BRC088
  • Financeguy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Old Mate
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.