Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I would have thought if Sutton doesn't get another contract at Souths then its super league or retirement for him.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
If he is interested in coming it'd have to be on 100k a year

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Sutton is trash he pulls out a decent game every so often and the commentators cream themselves.
Notice souths were only successful when they demoted him from captain and threw him in the back row? Don't exactly need back rowers so I don't see the point.

If he wasn't a souths jnr he wouldve been punted ages ago.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
No to Sutton.

Yes to Lachlan Fitzgibbon.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I don't get it... what's the bad side to this if he is on a low deal, which he would be if we got him. He's in crap form now but so are about 15 other players at the rabbits this year. 3 years ago he captained a team to a premiership, 4 years ago he won the rabbits best and fairest for the second time in 3 years, he's 105kg and 190cm & can ball play with good defence, he has over 300 games experience.

I'm not saying that he will or can regain that form, but if benji has taught us anything it shows that experienced players can "regain" their talent under Bennett by being used in a different role. He won't play 5/8th for us, he'd be a ball playing 2nd rower/lock coming off the bench.

Bennett obviously loves redemption stories/projects (lodge, Marshall, moga, Blair, etc etc) but I doubt it's true purely because the story comes from the lurker who just makes stuff up.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Just watching the re-run of Queenslander's only tonight... Just about crying... the whole 'GI not signing' due to the infamous 'delayed flight' was rubbish.

He had already been at the club, had passed all his medical tests and then was made to wait for months while Bruno Cullen and 'the Coach' (Griffin) stuffed around for months keeping him waiting...

The plan was he would take over the 5/8 role from Lockyer when he retired...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Henjak was the coach and the problem wasn't the Broncos, it was the NRL salary cap auditor umming and ahhing about Greg's legal case. It was a real pain in the arse because nobody wanted to pay the legal bills. Inglis insisted the legal team was forced on him by Melbourne and he didn't want to pay the inorbitant fee and the Broncos couldn't accommodate it in their salary cap.

Souths then jumped the gun, offered a contract which hadn't actually been cleared with the NRL and they had to make multiple revisions to it before it could pass muster.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Henjak was the coach and the problem wasn't the Broncos, it was the NRL salary cap auditor umming and ahhing about Greg's legal case. It was a real pain in the arse because nobody wanted to pay the legal bills. Inglis insisted the legal team was forced on him by Melbourne and he didn't want to pay the inorbitant fee and the Broncos couldn't accommodate it in their salary cap.

Souths then jumped the gun, offered a contract which hadn't actually been cleared with the NRL and they had to make multiple revisions to it before it could pass muster.

Didn't Mundine end up footing the legal bill? How was that not dodgy as ****?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

Fair enough, I got the timeline wrong, they didn't mention names but both GI and Hodges confirmed that GI had agreed to terms, had done all his medical checks, had bought and set up an apartment in Brisbane and was simply waiting for the Broncos contract to turn up and it never did...

Their body language was as plain as day as to their thoughts about 'those guys' coach and CEO at that time. In my opinion, in many ways our team is still recovering from those days.

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I didn't know this. I assumed Melbourne picked up the bill.
Why should any club have to pick up the lawyers' bill for domestic violence charges? Inglis should pick up the bill and if he was found not guilty then the person filing the charges should be picking up the bill.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Just watching the re-run of Queenslander's only tonight... Just about crying... the whole 'GI not signing' due to the infamous 'delayed flight' was rubbish.

He had already been at the club, had passed all his medical tests and then was made to wait for months while Bruno Cullen and 'the Coach' (Griffin) stuffed around for months keeping him waiting...

The plan was he would take over the 5/8 role from Lockyer when he retired...

You think that’s bad. I got told a story this week about the Broncos and Slater.
Slater signed a contract with the Storm for 2002 for $6500. It was only for 12 months so end of 2002 and a pretty good ISC year he was up a contract. Bennett instructed one of his staff to offer him $40,000 after Bennett and Bunn had watched him play ISC they met with him too. The said staff member didn’t like the look of Slater and wanted to use the $40000 to buy three other guys. Bennett said no.

Storm offered Slater $20,000 and Broncos $40000 and he went with the Storm because they’d given him a crack the two years previous playing Colts in 2001 when he scored 34 tries and made the Grand Final and ISC in 2002 when Norths were in the prelim final.

He went down and did the pre-season for 2003 competing for the two spots Melbourne had in their roster and got one with Johnson the other.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Sutton is decent imo. Runs good lines. Would be good at the Broncos. But he wont come here as we would not pay him enough money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.