Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Oates also off contract this year. Is like to extend lodge beyond 2020 also, however I feel he may want to go back to Sydney. Interesting he and SOS are off contract at the same time.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The side the Roosters can put out without any concerns by salary cap auditors tells you everything you need to know about how good the NRL is at catching clubs out on salary cap problems.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If TPJ goes because we can't afford to compete for him, it's our own damn fault for re-signing past it plodders like Boyd. We should have fucked him off to be with Daddy in the off season

So we could give another player big money that doesn't even come close to deserving it?

The thing with Boyd, he's only going to be around for another year or two. TPJ still has a lot of years left in him.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
So we could give another player big money that doesn't even come close to deserving it?

The thing with Boyd, he's only going to be around for another year or two. TPJ still has a lot of years left in him.
Please don't let that be true.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

That doesn't change the timing of Boyd's re-signing. We retained him while he was clearly playing like a busted ass. No doubt one final turd wrapped in a bow Bennett left behind for us.

Last edited:
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Oates also off contract this year. Is like to extend lodge beyond 2020 also, however I feel he may want to go back to Sydney. Interesting he and SOS are off contract at the same time.
Add to that DFif is off contract end of next year.... MUST lock him down to a long term deal.

He's Broncos through and through FFS

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We cant keep signing these younger blokes on what they might achieve on huge money. They need to earn big money contracts, and sadly these days they just seem to get given to them.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
We cant keep signing these younger blokes on what they might achieve on huge money. They need to earn big money contracts, and sadly these days they just seem to get given to them.

If you run with a mentality like that, you'll never have a talented youngster to yourself again.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
That doesn't change the timing of Boyd's re-signing. We retained him while he was clearly playing like a busted ass. No doubt one final turd wrapped in a bow Bennett left behind for us.

Thats rubbish. Boyd was playing fine when we re-signed him. It was only in 2018 that his injury problems really surfaced big time. The only issue i had with it was the length of the contract.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
True but I'd be making sure Fifita is locked down.

Edge back rowers are very important cogs in a team nowadays and having Sua and Fifita lined up for the next decade looks good business

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Thats rubbish. Boyd was playing fine when we re-signed him. It was only in 2018 that his injury problems really surfaced big time. The only issue i had with it was the length of the contract.

Nup, bullshit. Boyd was miles off his best the moment he put pen to paper. What he was offering at the time was no better or worse than Kahu. And has only gotten worse ever since.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If you run with a mentality like that, you'll never have a talented youngster to yourself again.

So what would you do? Sign every single talented youngster on long, big money contracts? That would be absolutely crazy and unsustainable. Our cap would be chewed up with players who havent achieved anything or earned big contracts. You might be able to keep a couple that way, but not all of them. You simply cant keep them all based on what they might do because you will run out of cap space pretty quickly.

TPJ has hamstring issues stretching back a long while, he is a risk. We have huge money tied up in Haas, and at the moment he is making stupid decision after stupid decision.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
We are going to lose players for sure, but we can't be sucked into spending big on a lot of players. Our forward packs looks promising, so I wouldn't be going into a 600K+ bidding war for TPJ. I also definitely wouldn't be going on a $500K bidding war for Ofahengaue either.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Nup, bullshit. Boyd was miles off his best the moment he put pen to paper. What he was offering at the time was no better or worse than Kahu. And has only gotten worse ever since.

Again, absolute rubbish. He was fine in 2015 ,2016 and also in 2017, when he signed his new contract. He wasnt playing poorly, and he only got this hamstring issue at the end of the 2017 season. Thats when it started to go downhill for him. He struggled to recover from it and i said at the time, he should have been given a 2 year deal not a 4 year deal.

Your anti Boyd agenda is blinding you.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
So what would you do? Sign every single talented youngster on long, big money contracts? That would be absolutely crazy and unsustainable. Our cap would be chewed up with players who havent achieved anything or earned big contracts. You might be able to keep a couple that way, but not all of them. You simply cant keep them all based on what they might do because you will run out of cap space pretty quickly.

TPJ has hamstring issues stretching back a long while, he is a risk. We have huge money tied up in Haas, and at the moment he is making stupid decision after stupid decision.

I would've thought discretion comes into it at some point. Right now TPJ deserves Haas money a **** tonne more and yet that isn't what the situation is. Right now he deserves Boyd's money a **** tonne more, yet that isn't the situation. What the situation really is, is a history of disgusting **** ups in recruitment and retention that stretches back as far as Inglis and Folau. And frankly I am well past fed up with it.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
True but I'd be making sure Fifita is locked down.

Edge back rowers are very important cogs in a team nowadays and having Sua and Fifita lined up for the next decade looks good business

We need to, but we have to be smart. We are going to have so many players looking for big money we are going to lose some.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
No, he was re-signed at the end of 2017, after he had already returned to his less than average usual performances (2010 and 2016 being the exceptions).
I couldn't believe they extended his contract by 4 years when he was already 30, especially at that ridiculous salary.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Works for Melbourne. I believe they have all of these on long-term deals:

Munster
Croft
Smith Jr
Vunivalu
Addo-Carr
Scott
Bromwich Sr
Kaufusi
Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • broncs30
  • Dash
  • phoenix
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • eggstar10
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • mystico
  • Brocko
  • animal eater
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • jd87
  • whykickamoocow
  • FACTHUNT
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.