Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Garry telling it like it is...

*The Wayne Bennett version of Darius Boyd’s contract was this week run by the NRL’s website. It is very different than what most at Brisbane recount of how the four year deal was done. As with most things, the truth lies in the middle. Ultimately, Bennett, the recruitment committee and board are to blame. But Boyd is not on 800k season. His deal averages out to be around 600k a year.

Chris Garry telling it like it is...

*The Wayne Bennett version of Darius Boyd’s contract was this week run by the NRL’s website. It is very different than what most at Brisbane recount of how the four year deal was done. As with most things, the truth lies in the middle. Ultimately, Bennett, the recruitment committee and board are to blame. But Boyd is not on 800k season. His deal averages out to be around 600k a year.
Is his deal front loaded? And if so, does that make his cap it less for the coming years?

Field with another crack today for the Dragons, one of my favourite non-NRL players. I would take him at the Broncos.

Is his deal front loaded? And if so, does that make his cap it less for the coming years?
A fair chunk would be coming from the veterans allowance... we'd probably only have him, macca and Glenn that would qualify for it and Macca and Glenn are both on $500k or less each from memory

If Boyd's on 600k I feel a lot better about it but I do hope he hangs up the boots at season's end. I don't think he has 2 more years in him but I do think if he announced his retirement, it would take a lot of pressure off him and he'll have a great end to the season. There is no shame in retiring at 32, he's achieved everything there is to achieve in rugby league. Multiple premierships, succeeded at every level and I reckon he can turn us around to get us back in the finals race this year.

I think a lot of his poor form is due to mental pressure rather than physically being past it.

Field with another crack today for the Dragons, one of my favourite non-NRL players. I would take him at the Broncos.
Looks like he'd make a good fullback

Unfortunately with Bird gone I think we have gone from a 1% chance to 0%

A fair chunk would be coming from the veterans allowance... we'd probably only have him, macca and Glenn that would qualify for it and Macca and Glenn are both on $500k or less each from memory

I don't think Boyd would qualify for it ... i think you need to be at the same club for 8 years straight

Any chance we are having a look at him?

With the news we are looking at Cody Walker and Moses (supposedly). Does this mean we are considering a move for Milf back to 1 post Darius? Or does the club want to hold on Dearden for 2-3 years?

I like this signing alot more then moses. By all reports reece Walsh is the future fullback but he is only 16, will take about 3 years for him to be a full time option if it all pans out. Play walker at fullback for 2 years in 2021-22 then Walsh and isaako, and possibly Farnsworth, battle it out for the fb spot.
Would take a bit of pressure off of milf and dearden, and with segeyaro on the bench we'd have alot of speed in the middle 1/3. Also shows boyd may have told people that next year is his last.

Having said all this, there's no way it happens. I also wouldn't pay massive overs by getting into a bidding war for walker.

I don't think Boyd would qualify for it ... i think you need to be at the same club for 8 years straight
So not only is it **** all money in the first place, but it's also got further restrictions... do the NRL want any players to remain at 1 club for their careers

Milf at fullback means we have to rearrange our defensive structure within 10 metres of our try line. Milf cant defend in the line like Boyd, so any proposed change of custodian has to, in my eye, also include a solution to how our goal line defence would work...

plus Milf cant take a high ball, he'd be basically staying on the ground to take a bomb....not sure that's a positive either...

I just don't understand why it needs to be counted if the player forgoes the salary they were going to earn. This happens all the time... you can't tell me manly are wearing $600k for having Suli on their books.

I can understand having to wear the cost on the cap if you want to pay out the remainder of their contract, but if they choose to take nothing and move into a role after footy then make them wear the salary of their next job on the cap if their next job is related to the club they're retiring from.

If Souths want to pay GI $300k as a rep then make them wear the $300k until his contract expires.

GI is choosing not to play and forgoing the $750k for a $300k job... give souths the $450k discount and move the **** on.

If GI was retiring and then being paid $800k then make souths wear $800k on the cap until it expires... it's not that fucking hard

If souths say they're paying GI $300k but then pay him $800k make souths wear $1.6m on the cap for the next 5 years and deduct points for the next 5 years... if someone tries to cheat the system hit them fucking hard so no other team tries it.

Hell give whistle blowers finders fees if they uncover cheats.

They're basically forcing players to play when they have reasonable health concerns that should allow them to retire... is that not a H&S issue, where the **** is the RLPA to sort out player retirements.

Because the entire idea of the salary cap is to prevent clubs from ‘stacking’ their teams to try and win premierships, so that the talent is supposedly evenly spread throughout the competition.

Allow this idea and teams will pay huge overs for older players who are still playing well to try and win premierships within short windows and should the club come under salary cap scrutiny they will ‘magically’ retire due to previously unforseen injuries and the club will be able to avoid any issue...

It will defeat the purpose of the cap.

plus Milf cant take a high ball, he'd be basically staying on the ground to take a bomb....not sure that's a positive either...
How many high balls have you seen Boyd take in the air? Fullbacks rarely have to dispute a kick in the air. That's much more of an issue for the wingers...

It doesn't mention the player has to be at the club for 8 years straight.

Just says the player has to have been a top 30 player at the club for 8 years or a top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Manofoneway
  • Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.