Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt Joe just sign an extended deal with us ?

Even that is 40% of his contract. Its madness.
Yeah it’s insanity. I don’t know if the alternative of keeping him around for 3 years is a great idea either though.

I think your fear might be irrational.

I sure hope so! I’m just annoyed because we haven’t made any signings, not even a broken down washed up ESL journeyman. There are no rumours of us chasing anyone either and this club is good at revealing everything, so I’m just worried nothing is happening.

Yeah it’s insanity. I don’t know if the alternative of keeping him around for 3 years is a great idea either though.

But if you are giving him away and effectively paying one of those seasons (when combining two years of chipping in), it’s just stupid business. What are we really gaining by releasing Bird and Joffa but paying large chunks of their wages?

The answer seems to be nothing as no one of note is coming in (I include Asiata in no one of note), the squad is weaker and we seem to be repeating the mistakes of the Seibold era. Release players and bring nothing in to replace them, nothing better anyway.

But if you are giving him away and effectively paying one of those seasons (when combining two years of chipping in), it’s just stupid business. What are we really gaining by releasing Bird and Joffa but paying large chunks of their wages?

The answer seems to be nothing as no one of note is coming in (I include Asiata in no one of note), the squad is weaker and we seem to be repeating the mistakes of the Seibold era. Release players and bring nothing in to replace them, nothing better anyway.
I completely agree. I don’t think Joffa is so bad that he can’t be coached into at least a decent bench.

Unless someone at the club thinks that releasing him and Bird allows us to buy a player that is a net positive all we’ve done is lost experience and NRL quality players.

the Bird one is more concerning to me, our backs stock looks terrible without him, and he only had 1 season left.

its funny...I didnt realise just how much a cultural reset at a football actually costs......quite expensive isnt it..?

That is the key isn't it. Releasing these players and chipping in only makes sense if it is freeing up money for needed signings. If a few weeks later that it turns out that this freed up money brings in a good fullback, some experience in the backs, an experienced forward (I actually thing Asiata would be a good signing but we can agree to disagree on that one) then this is all sensible. It doesn't make up for the crazy deals in the first place but it would be making the best of a shit situation.

However if (and this is the most likely scenario) releasing these players is all for nothing then it is fucking idiotic.

That is the key isn't it. Releasing these players and chipping in only makes sense if it is freeing up money for needed signings. If a few weeks later that it turns out that this freed up money brings in a good fullback, some experience in the backs, an experienced forward (I actually thing Asiata would be a good signing but we can agree to disagree on that one) then this is all sensible. It doesn't make up for the crazy deals in the first place but it would be making the best of a shit situation.

However if (and this is the most likely scenario) releasing these players is all for nothing then it is fucking idiotic.
A good fullback, Asiata (allowing Patty to play prop), and an above average experienced centre will make a lot of difference to the make up of the team.

Allen, Gagai, Asiata, and Mead/Copley for depth and the low end of the top 8 is now achievable. Especially if Kev uses the bench correctly.

So you are exactly right, how smart moving these players on while covering part of their contract all depends on who we bring in.

Surely we can afford Alan now?
Hope so.

I don’t think it’s worth releasing Ofahengaue just to use that spare cash to sign Asiata. I’m not buying into the ball playing lock thing. I think Broncos need to keep it simple and get Milford involved in the ball playing more often. We can’t let Milford think he’s 3rd or 4th in line in that department. He should be the player getting the most touches of the ball during the game. He should be playing with as much energy as Thurston if he wants to be getting paid 1 mil a season.

Last edited:
Well the rumour was we were looking at Drinkwater, perhaps Allan isn't even on our radar because this is the way we are going.

The Cowboys were reported to saying no but I get the feeling they have cap pressure and that there will be plenty of movement player wise and cap juggling yet to happen over the offseason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • The Don
  • bb_gun
  • Alec
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.