Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Hope so.

I don’t think it’s worth releasing Ofahengaue just to use that spare cash to sign Asiata. I’m not buying into the ball playing lock thing. I think Broncos need to keep it simple and get Milford involved in the ball playing more often. We can’t let Milford think he’s 3rd or 4th in line in that department. He should be the player getting the most touches of the ball during the game. He should be playing with as much energy as Thurston if he wants to be getting paid 1 mil a season.
We need Milford to run. With Milford and Dearden still developing a ball playing lock would be ideal IMO.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
We need Milford to run. With Milford and Dearden still developing a ball playing lock would be ideal IMO.
Yeah it shouldn’t be one or the other. He should be doing it all for us by now. He has had enough time to develop into a top class 6 and that’s what I expect of him.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah it shouldn’t be one or the other. He should be doing it all for us by now. He has had enough time to develop into a top class 6 and that’s what I expect of him.
And that is exactly the error in thinking the Broncos have been making and hopefully will stop. He simply can't be that and should never have been put in a position to have that expected of him.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
at this stage if you're paying him more than 300-400k your paying overs ... but he played a game in Origin, so no doubt his manager will demand 700k
I was thinking he’d be demanding 700k.

I could maybe cop us paying 550k but that’s my limit.

There are other fullbacks out there in reserve grade that are just as talented, if not more.. They come into NRL every year and impress everyone. We could find value elsewhere.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I personally think we should be targeting Drinkwater for fullback over Allen.

I'd give Allen the edge in ball running, but Drinkwater the edge in ball playing (he is still a good ball runner too).

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
And that is exactly the error in thinking the Broncos have been making and hopefully will stop. He simply can't be that and should never have been put in a position to have that expected of him.
I have seen Milford in form before and he definitely can do it all and can perform at the level I expect. He hasn’t in a long time, but he can do it.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I personally think we should be targeting Drinkwater for fullback over Allen.

I'd give Allen the edge in ball running, but Drinkwater the edge in ball playing (he is still a good ball runner too).
Drinkwater could move to 6 in the future if we wanted to play Niu at fullback. We also could just sign him for 2 years in order to help out in the short term.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Drinkwater could move to 6 in the future if we wanted to play Niu at fullback. We also could just sign him for 2 years in order to help out in the short term.

I'd be developing Niu as a center, to either partner or replace Staggs

I could see a backline of:

1. Drinkwater
2. Coates
3. Nui
4. Staggs
5. Farnworth

a potentially a very good backline in the years to come

Tristan1990

Tristan1990

QCup Player
Sep 29, 2016
surely cam smith is on the radar... i know kevvy said he wasn't but surely he is now

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I'd be developing Niu as a center, to either partner or replace Staggs

I could see a backline of:

1. Drinkwater
2. Coates
3. Nui
4. Staggs
5. Farnworth

a potentially a very good backline in the years to come
I could maybe see him getting caught out in defence at centre. I would still have a view to develop him into a fullback long term.

1. Tesi Niu
  2. Anyone
  3. Herbie Farnworth
  4. Kotoni Staggs
  5. Xavier Coates
  6. Scott Drinkwater
  7. Thomas Dearden
I’d still prefer us to sign Billy Walters to play 6. Would save us a ton of cash after releasing Milford.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If anyone watched Drinkwater at 6 for the Cows there is no way on earth they would want him at 6 for us. His defence made James Maloney look like Tonie Carroll.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If anyone watched Drinkwater at 6 for the Cows there is no way on earth they would want him at 6 for us. His defence made James Maloney look like Tonie Carroll.

what do you think of him as fullback?

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
He's also drops the ball like he's the love child of Corey Oates and Tom Flegler.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I see Drinkwater as a stop gap, someone who is good at 1 and 6 but not great at either. Allan is a potential long-term fullback with far more upside AND is one of ours. He won't cost a fortune either if the Broncos management are smart, which they aren't. We could get him for $400k I reckon but would be happy up to 500. Anything more, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Aldo
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.